Will a Pentium D boot in a mobo that doesn't support it?

BoB-O TiVo

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I'm building a new server based on the Tyan S5151. The CPU support page for the mobo says the 2.8GHz Pentium D is supported, but the machine won't boot with that chip in. If I swap for a 3.8GHz Pentium 4, the machine boots fine. I'm wondering if my Pentium D is bad or if it's possible that a lack of BIOS support will render the chip impotent?

Thanks,
BoB

BoB-O TiVo said:
Hey all,

I'm building a new server based on the Tyan S5151. The CPU support page for the mobo says the 2.8GHz Pentium D is supported, but the machine won't boot with that chip in. If I swap for a 3.8GHz Pentium 4, the machine boots fine. I'm wondering if my Pentium D is bad or if it's possible that a lack of BIOS support will render the chip impotent?

Thanks,
BoB
is it even supported? The Tyan page does not list compatibility with the Pentium D.

didnt you answer your own question by testing it and having it not boot?

does it have the most recent bios?

lithium726 said:
didnt you answer your own question by testing it and having it not boot?

does it have the most recent bios?

It has the most recent BIOS. I didn't answer my question because the proc could always be defective. I'm trying to decide if I should start down the RMA path while I'm waiting on a clear response from Tyan about support.

BoB

I would start an RMA.

It has the newest BIOS and Tyan's site lists the D as a chip it supports, then it's probably a deffective chip.

typically, a processor will not boot if the board does not support it. there are occasions where it will, of course, but that is not the typical case.

I wouldn't RMA the CPU right away, its really hard to get a defective CPU unless you broke it yourself.

Chances are its an issue witht he board. I would test the chip out first to check if its working. We dont need another useless RMA.

It would be interesting to see if it would boot in a motherboard that doesn't support it. However, more than likely it won't.

Typically when a processor isn't supported, and is the same pin type, they will not work due to voltage differences and if they do, they are almost always totally unstable and the BIOS never ID's the chip properly.

My guess is, since Intel put out new chipsets for Pentium D, it wouldn't likely work at all.

Back