Will a Swiftech Storm CPU waterblock work on Q6600?

LRD

n00b
Hi there, I recently purchased a Q6600 GO stepping to upgrade my old watercooled 939 system. I still have the hardware Swiftech provided to use on a Socket LGA 775. In the loop I will have an EVGA 8800GT with the MCW60. For the heat exchanger I am using a Weaponized 1971 Bonneville heatercore. The motherboard I purchased is a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L. I am trying to avoid buying a new waterblock so I am wondering If this set up will sufficiently cool this processor. Thanks.

I had a Storm on my 939 setup, and swapped it over to my E8400 setup. While it did in fact do the job with the 8400, I swapped it out to a D-Tek Fuzion. Long story short, my temps only came down a little, but my flow incresed Dramatically.

I have a very powerfull pump,( Ehiem 1260), and with the MCW60 and the Storm, I wouldn't get a full line of water out of the discharge hose into my res,(although I am pumping the water 12' horizontally), when I installed the Fuzion, it was like the flood gates opened up, much better flow. Also the Fuzion has "Nozzles" I think they are called to adjust where the water goes in the block for different cpu's. A very good investment in my eyes.

Larry

No, the Storm has already been proven ineffective against dual-die designs (Pentium D and Quads). It is designed for a small, centrally located die- the split design does not work well. Get a new block, either the Fuzion (highly recommended) or one of the Apogee variants (I'd go Fuzion).

I'll have to check that D-Tek Fuzion block out. Right now, and the pump I will be using is the MCP655 with 1/2" barbs. My temps on an Opteron 170 overclocked to 2791Mhz at 1.52v is about 25C. Temps seemed a little lower when I wasn't running so much voltage throught it, around 21-23C but that is what I had to do to get it 30hrs prime stable. Once I begin to put all this stuff together I will clean it out. Incidently, what does that block go for?

Thanks, I appreciate the links too! I guess I will be buying a new water block.

Fuzion is the best. EK supreme is nice but a little too restrictive on its own ( Resistriction Fuzion < EK supreme < Fuzion with high pressure Nozzles). If your on a budget get the apogee gt... great performer at a great price (usually $40 new).

I decided I would go with the Fuzion, however, it seems that everybody is sold out. Oh by the way thanks to everyone who replied.

You should look at the Apogee GT as well. If you don't mind taking the time to bow it, you'll get very good results for a bit less $$.

Note I'm not saying that the GT is as good as or better than the Fuzion, but as far as PPD (performance per dollar), I think it's worth looking at.

sory for a off topic question, how can i leave the big o-ring on the apogee gt? i tried several time but it wont stay in that shape, lzol got so frustrated, is there any tip that i can make the o-ring stay in place? thanks

Back