Will AMD ever be competitive with Intel in performance?

i was asking for the 6-core i7 on the 1156 socket......not in general, since you are refering to the upgradability of the 1156 socket......my CPU right now runs every game out there just as well as your i3 god, even with its hyperthreading

i was asking for the 6-core i7 on the 1156 socket......not in general, since you are refering to the upgradability of the 1156 socket......my CPU right now runs every game out there just as well as your i3 god, even with its hyperthreading

Now who the hell is trolling? :rolleyes:

Does your CPU run GTA4 max detail with smooth frame rates? How about BC2 or any of other CPU intensive games that take advantage of quad cores? Don't be ridiculous.

Sorry for the eMule P2P link, I was doing a few things at once. Links are now corrected.

Ugghhhh! Hate how that site changes their links daily.
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/cpu_scaling_with_the_radeon_hd_5970,1.html

Check out the high rez gaming i7 vs. PII and realize how exaggerated F/B MrXROK is. When one wants to talk enthusiast gaming on high rez or EyeFinity rez gaming, the money is better spent on AMD and GFX cards/monitors. If you live in your Momma's basement and don't need to budget for rent, go i7 like MrXROK, but it won't help your frame rates.

Ugghhhh! Hate how that site changes their links daily.
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/cpu_scaling_with_the_radeon_hd_5970,1.html

Check out the high rez gaming i7 vs. PII and realize how exaggerated F/B MrXROK is. When one wants to talk enthusiast gaming on high rez or EyeFinity rez gaming, the money is better spent on AMD and GFX cards/monitors. If you live in your Momma's basement and don't need to budget for rent, go i7 like MrXROK, but it won't help your frame rates.

Agreed

For gamers the money is almost always better spent on GFX cards, RAM or SSD.

If you're doing a ton of video encoding or Photoshopping, going Intel makes sense.

Could anyone hand on heart tell if they were playing on system using a top of the range AMD cpu with a top of the range GPU and likewise a top of the range Intel chip with the same GPU?

Would you notice a difference? Again I'm not talking benchmarks here.

Meh. I like em all. I don't have any high end intel systems as I don't like the premium cost that comes with them. I do a lot of virtualization stuff, so core counts are a good thing to me and quad core amds are cheap. Instanbul does well in the server market as I understand it thanks to it its 6 cores. I know the high end Xeons out perform them - but that doesn't mean the opterons aren't being sold and AMD isn't making money.

AMD is competing already, it has a market share with a product that it sells. I will definitely be putting an X6 in my home test ESX server when they come out. :)

Could anyone hand on heart tell if they were playing on system using a top of the range AMD cpu with a top of the range GPU and likewise a top of the range Intel chip with the same GPU?

Would you notice a difference? Again I'm not talking benchmarks here.

I was wondering the same.

My Q9650 setup listed below is due for an upgrade and I was thinking of going the i7 route again but this time with the new 980X and the Rampage Extreme III.

After checking some prices on the “highest” end from AMD I found that for less than $400.00 I could have a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition with a Crosshair III Formula motherboard. With the money saved I could buy a second 5870 and run the AMD setup in Cross Fire and use it for my primarily GPU dependent games.

The big question is would this money for the upgrade be better put toward the 980X and the Rampage Extreme III and with primarily GPU dependent would I even notice a difference between the two?

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1802 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT
Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-7-6-18-1N)
Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 10.1)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2
PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W
LIAN LI PC-A70B

ASUS Rampage Extreme (BIOS 1202)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
Mushkin XP3-12800 Ascent 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 285 FTW (196.34)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista Ultimate 64/SP2
SILVERSTONE 1500Watt SST
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

I was wondering the same.

My Q9650 setup listed below is due for an upgrade and I was thinking of going the i7 route again but this time with the new 980X and the Rampage Extreme III.

After checking some prices on the “highest” end from AMD I found that for less than $400.00 I could have a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition with a Crosshair III Formula motherboard. With the money saved I could buy a second 5870 and run the AMD setup in Cross Fire and use it for my primarily GPU dependent games.

The big question is would this money for the upgrade be better put toward the 980X and the Rampage Extreme III and with primarily GPU dependent would I even notice a difference between the two?

I would like to point the following out before you decide to upgrade to a BE 965

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=49&p2=102&c=1

since your board already supports dual GPU, you could just go ahead and get the second card.

Thanks for the response.

After looking at that info it doesn’t look like my idea about going AMD would be much of an “upgrade” at all from what I already have.

if you want more performance, you could always overclock, but as it goes with that sort of thing, at your own risk and YMMV

Back