Will AMD work???

turtletrax

Limp Gawd
I am building a rig for a friend that owns a security company and it will be used for video monitoring and recording. I always use AMD and wanted to go with dual core. Had all the parts picked out and looked at the requirements for the line capture card and it said that a Intel chipset and Processor were required.

I think everything will be fine but wanted to double check. Anybody have opinions. I wanted to pick up the parts today and build tommorrow.

It *SHOULD* work fine. However, sometimes there may be a speficific function or call that will only work on stated hardware. In the past I have seen this with Via chipsets.

Since it is for his business, I would go with what is recommended.

No, they keep receiving that damn welfare without even looking for a job. Lazy bastards.

Yes, will work fine.

I figured it was propaganda and I hate how hot the Intels run. These people I am building for had major problems with the systems that were built for them by the last guy. They were poorly built, but heat was always the problem.

I really want to use AMD and dual core, but I cant build it twice. I would love to toss the line card in my system and see if it works but I dont know if they have the line card. I think it is on order. Any other opinons B4 I go with AMD?

turtletrax said:
I figured it was propaganda and I hate how hot the Intels run. These people I am building for had major problems with the systems that were built for them by the last guy. They were poorly built, but heat was always the problem.

I really want to use AMD and dual core, but I cant build it twice. I would love to toss the line card in my system and see if it works but I dont know if they have the line card. I think it is on order. Any other opinons B4 I go with AMD?
Don't take a chance. The new 65nm Intels, at stock speeds, run in the low-30s (C). Plenty cool for the application. For businsss, I've always used the tried and true Intel-processor-on-Intel-motherboard-on-Intel-chipset. I don't care what any AMD guy says, an all-Intel rig "just works" the first time, and doesn't "just die." We have all-Intel servers at work that we just now decommisioned after 10 years of service (and even then, they were decommisioned because we needed more speed; they're still rock solid).

Neither company is better than the other overall and it will most likely work. But why take the chance? Intel is not any more expensive than AMD anymore. So just go with the intel setup and call it good. The things that used to separate the companies have really been minimalized in recent years so its realy 6 one half a dozen the other. As a business owner who has been in your position you have to ask yourself, "is it worth it to experiment with a customer's equipment?" I usually find the answer is no and build exactly what they need. Its not like building an Intel system is going to be unstable or problem ridden. They aren't going to have problems or be unhappy with it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the only reason you are avoiding Intel is because of personal bias, not because of the customer's best interest, money matters, or actual hardware issues. I do not lean to either company and build my share of both types. I would just do the Intel.

just a little side not on this:

Intel:
intel BOXD9456CZL Mobo: $101
Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz): $220
Total: $321

AMD:
Asus A8N-VM: $67
Athlon64 X2 3800+ (2.0GHz): $295
Total: $362

So the price difference is very negligible and actually in favor of the P4 in this instance. To get these I grabbed the cheapest available intel board and the cheapest board that supported the X2 and then grabbed the cheapest of the 2 processor types, so it may be nowhere near what you are working on.

sac_tagg said:
Don't take a chance. The new 65nm Intels, at stock speeds, run in the low-30s (C). Plenty cool for the application. For businsss, I've always used the tried and true Intel-processor-on-Intel-motherboard-on-Intel-chipset. I don't care what any AMD guy says, an all-Intel rig "just works" the first time, and doesn't "just die." We have all-Intel servers at work that we just now decommisioned after 10 years of service (and even then, they were decommisioned because we needed more speed; they're still rock solid).

A have a k6-2 533 that still runs back home. 24/7 duty from 97.

What recorder and cameras are you using? I only ask because I'm in the hunt for home security equipment and somebody recommended GeoVision. Those cards required Intel chips and non-VIA mobos.

Built the system with a X2 3800+, 2x512 OCZ Premier Series, Asus A8N-E, PCP&C 510, 2x250 Seagate 7200.9 SATA HD's, eVGA 6200 w/TC, Antec Sonata II case and all was well.

I dont know the manufacturer of the linecard or cameras as it was purchased from Ebay from China and I never really asked who made it. Kinda scared me as I couldnt get the software to work becasue it needs a seperate partition/HD to record to. I would try to boot the software and it would just close itself untill there was one made on the boot drive. Then it could be set from there.

Thanks for the help guys. Also upon further investigation the Intel 65nm chips are beginning to look like they are worth the attention. Might have to build one just to mess with untill Core gets relased:)

Back