will an athlonxp in an non-xp athlon mobo work?

So long as the Sockets are the same it should work. Although there may be a few quirks and may be some problems.

Seer said:
Although there may be a few quirks and may be some problems.
the chances of that are actually pretty good, but the severity of the problem probably won't be too great.

You have to be careful, the later CPUs run at a lower voltage than the early Athlons.
There are 2 or 3 different voltages used for Athlon XP processors.
So if you can't set your motherboard to the proper voltage, you may end up overheating and/or damaging the Athlon XP processor.

Other than that I'm still trying to find out for myself what CPUs work on an older board (just created a thread about upgrading my 1800+).
So far I found that there are a few problems, namely with the PSU/motherboard not being able to give enough power to a high-end Athlon on an old board, and motherboards not being able to correctly determine FSB and multiplier settings (although some people blame that on mislabeled AMD CPUs, a 333 MHz FSB CPU labeled as 266, so having the lower multiplier, but still working on 266 MHz FSB on a board that doesn't support 333).

The manufacturer's site is usually no use. All the info on the old boards is either missing, or outdated. That's been my experience anyway (with MSI/VIA).

Scali said:
The manufacturer's site is usually no use. All the info on the old boards is either missing, or outdated. That's been my experience anyway (with MSI/VIA).

VIA doesn't make boards, just chipsets, so it'd be better to stick with the mainboard manufacturer. As for MSI, I've never had problems finding what I needed on their website, though some sections of their support site could be arranged a lot better (download files could be organized by mainboard model for example, not by mobo chipset).

Whatsisname, can you actually list the make/model of the board? The more details someone can provide the forum, the better they can help.

i have an athlon mobo, a spare 1600+, and we're trying to throw together a new domain server to replace the current P3 500mhz, and we don't have any money. I stuck it in, turned it on, and it works fine.

Mauli said:
why would you do that though?

LoneWolf said:
VIA doesn't make boards, just chipsets, so it'd be better to stick with the mainboard manufacturer

They do, or did anyway. Remember the days of P4 when VIA didn't have an official license?
Since nobody dared to use the 'rogue' VIA chipset, VIA had to make its own motherboards.

As for MSI, I've never had problems finding what I needed on their website, though some sections of their support site could be arranged a lot better (download files could be organized by mainboard model for example, not by mobo chipset).

Well, the page for my Athlon board (K7T Turbo) hasn't been updated since 2001. It lists 1800+ as the fastest CPU, although I've found some forum posts of people who successfully run 2400+ CPus with the latest BIOS. So the MSI site isn't much help (especially for me, since I already have the 1800+, and I'm looking for the fastest possible CPU... which apparently is at least 2400+, but may well be much more).

Back