Will corsair xms2 work with 965P ds3 board?

wahur1

Limp Gawd
In a day or two i'm gonna buy 4GB of ram..so was thinking, corsair xms2 800Mhz, is compatible with Gigabyte 965P ds3 motherboard or not? If anyone here knows about please help me out. i don't want to buy till i knows is it compatible or not or else i have to ship it back again.

Thanks in advance.

one more thing i would like to add is..will it make any difference in performance as these corsair are cas5 and my current one which are OCZ is cas4, so will i feel any slow performance by corsair ram ? or its negligible?

I know i had 2x2 of that same ram on an AW9D-MAX motherboard which is the same chipset as your gigabyte.

what is the difference between XMS2 and XMS2 DHX? other than the heatsink.

Im not sure the difference between regular XMS2 and DHX but I know it will work in your board (ddr2 800 or 667). XMS2 is amazing ram. I have some in my wifes rig and its been great.

Corsair XMS2 will work fine on your board. I started with a 1 gig set of it in mine two years ago and later upgraded it to a 2 gig set of the DHX kit in less than a year. The DHX set is still running in the system as I type.

The only difference between the regular XMS and the DHX is the heatsink on the RAM.

If you plan on running the OCZ RAM with the Corsair RAM, you may run into incompatibilities with the two different sets of RAM but you may not. The Corsair RAM run by itself should have no problems as long as there are no defects with the RAM. Since the two sets run different timings at stock speeds, you might have to change your RAM timings to the timings of the slowest RAM.

For myself, I don't use anything other than Corsair XMS RAM in my personal systems. I've been using it for a number of years and haven't had a single problem with compatibility and it usually overclocks well. The price is a bit more than many other brands of RAM but for the piece of mind it gives me in regards to compatibility and everything it's worth it. Besides, the price usually isn't all that much more.

thanks for such a detailed reply.

Now only one thing is not confirm that will it going to work with the different timings or not. Looks like i have to buy and try it myself.

Anyone here who is using a two different timings rams ? like OCZ+corsair or some other brand.

I'm using kingston hyperx 2x1GB and corsair xms2 dhx 2x1GB. My kingston ram runs at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0V but the corsair ram should run at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V; both at 800mhz.

I put the corsair ram in the first channel and the kingston sticks in the second channel and tried booting the machine at 4-4-4-12 @2.0V but it wouldn't POST. I tried 4-4-4-12 @2.1V but it still wouldn't post. After trying many combinations, I settled on 5-5-5-13 @2.0V, which was stable in memtest for a while and is my current configuration. Unfortunately, vista decided to knock 0.1 off my RAM score :(

I'm not sure how the gigabyte bios works, but I know with my MSI P965 platinum, I can't set different voltages and timings for the different channels of RAM.

I'm using kingston hyperx 2x1GB and corsair xms2 dhx 2x1GB. My kingston ram runs at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0V but the corsair ram should run at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V; both at 800mhz.

I put the corsair ram in the first channel and the kingston sticks in the second channel and tried booting the machine at 4-4-4-12 @2.0V but it wouldn't POST. I tried 4-4-4-12 @2.1V but it still wouldn't post. After trying many combinations, I settled on 5-5-5-13 @2.0V, which was stable in memtest for a while and is my current configuration. Unfortunately, vista decided to knock 0.1 off my RAM score :(

I'm not sure how the gigabyte bios works, but I know with my MSI P965 platinum, I can't set different voltages and timings for the different channels of RAM.

so basically its very much hard to use two different type of memory timings. I'm looking for corsair because OCZ is not available on my local stores that's why I'm leaning towards corsair or else i would have bought the OCZ.

Can i try the stability of rams in 32bit xp? like obviously it won't show the 6GB in 32bit xp but before installing the 64bit i want to try the rams out in 32bitxp. so is there any way out to check that rams will work with 64bit or not.

It may work but, mixing memory is NEVER recommended. But, the only way to know for sure is to install and test. If it won't work, you should do just fine with 4GB.

What OS are you using?

^^
currently using winxp 32bit but upgrading the rams because i want to switch to 64bit vista. After all the mixed replied i came to conclusion that i might run into problems if i use some other timings rams. So i guess i'll stick with OCZ and somehow arrange the same timings ram. :(

i was switching 6Gb though but if i opt for OCZ than i'll settle down for 4GB...so 4GB is enough for 64bit OS?

With a 32bit OS, the absolute most memory the OS will see is 3.5GB. So, your 4GB upgrade would still be good with the 32bit OS. However, if you do get all 6GB working, you would see no more benefit with 6GB than you would with 4GB. 6GB is a waste until you go to a 64bit OS.

So 4GB is enough for 64bitOS? or should i upgrade to 6GB ? :confused:

It depends on what exactly are you doing on that system. For just web browsing and general tasks, 4GB is more than enough. For gaming while burning a CD, listening to music, web browsing, and editing video at the same time, yes 6GB of RAM would be a good idea. For doing a ton of virtualization, video editing or 3D rendering/editing, 6GB of RAM or more would be a good idea.

It depends on what exactly are you doing on that system. For just web browsing and general tasks, 4GB is more than enough. For gaming while burning a CD, listening to music, web browsing, and editing video at the same time, yes 6GB of RAM would be a good idea. For doing a ton of virtualization, video editing or 3D rendering/editing, 6GB of RAM or more would be a good idea.

i don't do any editing stuff, just browsing,gaming,burning cds and sometimes converting dvd-rs

lol i hope my local store still has the pair of OCZ which he showed me last week :/:eek:

Ok guys finally upgraded the rams to 4GB...bought same brand ram which i already had (OCZ). Right now i'm on 32bit xp so didn't feel any major difference in it though startup was fast.

If i upgrade to Vista x64bit will i get much more performance out of the ram or same as 32bit xp?

finally upgraded to vista 64bit :D ....and feeling smoothness in every way. i was on 32bit xp and to be true i was missing this speed...:eek:

Thanks to all of them who contributed in this thread. :)

Back