Will dual core be s939 and nf4 compatible....?

BoostFrenzy

Weaksauce
Just wondering because i'm pretty set on doing a NF4 ultra & venice 3200+, i don't want to be left out in the cold when the dual cores show up though, no new sockets/chipsets coming soon are there?

Well, dual-core opterons are compatible with existing MP Opteron boards. AMD has video on their site of 2 4-way Opteron servers running 4x dual-core Opterons. They also show them running tests under both windows and linux as an 8-way server. So, if they stick to that plan, the dual-core desktop line should only need an upgraded bios possibly, as that's all the server boards needed.

Mind you, the desktop side is speculation, but the server side you can goto AMD's site and look it up yourself.

Dual-Core Athlon 64s will be available on two sockets-- M2 and 939. M2 will feature well over a thousand pins for more bandwidth, but a Socket 939 Dual-Core chip (or more than one!) will be coming out for Socket 939 as well. It will work in most boards with just a BIOS flash-- nothing more; and should work GREAT with NT4 and up.

side note, i posted this in "power supplies" also, but i have an antec soho case and sparkle/spi/fsp 400w PSU w/ +12v@15a/+3.3v@28a/+5v@40a, is that enough or am I forced to buy a 18a+ 12v supply for a single PCIx NF4 board and overclocking venice 3200?

15A on the +12V line is cutting it really close, and if you pick a hefty videocard, it won't be sufficient. Step up to an Antec True430 or Enermax Noisetaker 420W supply. They are stable, supply gobs of power, and are reliable enough that you can probably pass it on to your next PC build. :cool:

For the PSU...see what you can do with the one you've got first. That way when you shell out for a more expensive one, you can compare the results, and you won't feel as bad about how much it's going to cost. :D

Is it just me or are new sockets coming out really fast lately?

ashmedai said:
For the PSU...see what you can do with the one you've got first. That way when you shell out for a more expensive one, you can compare the results, and you won't feel as bad about how much it's going to cost. :D

Is it just me or are new sockets coming out really fast lately?

*** NO !! DO NOT DO THIS !!! **

Overamping a power supply, even for a MOMENT, can be enough to destroy the supply, and your attached hardware! I've seen this time and time again, even with my own gear. My old reliable Sparkle that had driven my hardware for very, very long-- slightly overamped-- blew it stack, torched the attached motherboard, fried the cache on the installed CPU, and scarred the RAM! A whole system down the drain.

hmm, how irritating! not only do i need PCIx but also a new PSU :/

Maybe i'll just wait a bit longer afterall, my barton2500@3200/2200mhz isn't slow yet anyway I guess

$80 for a TRUE430 on top of the other upgrade costs just don't seem worth it to me

At the least, Venice will be available very shortly and dual core not too terribly long after. Good enough excuse to wait already.

BoostFrenzy said:
hmm, how irritating! not only do i need PCIx but also a new PSU :/
$80 for a TRUE430 on top of the other upgrade costs just don't seem worth it to me

A Thermaltake PurePower 430w supply is also nice. Not as good, but it'll still do the job very nicely. I have one in my box. Quite a bit cheaper, too.

(BTW, the term is PCI-E, PCI-X is a server slot used for RAID adapters and such, and not used on desktops.)

Back