Will DVD Kiosks Begin Slow Fade in 2012?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Analysts at J.P. Morgan are predicting the decline of the ever-present DVD kiosks that are found almost anywhere and everywhere. The decline is credited to the rise in streaming and on-demand competition. The kiosk popularity is expected to peak in 2011.

As video on demand begins to rise, so must DVD kiosks begin to fall, say the analysts, who warn that home-video kiosk companies like Redbox better have a plan B up their sleeves before the market for DVDs-from-a-kiosk starts its slow, perhaps inevitable fade.

No worries. I think the whiney ISP's and their ever-present complaints about users using bandwidth will save them. I'm not convinced they won't eventually be the death-blow to streaming media.

I wonder what happened to kiosks that were supposed to load films on to SDHC and SDXC? You know load the film at 480p/720p/1080p with 5.1 sountrack and give the person renting the option to buy and load on to a media server. Extra bonus is there's no disc to return. :)

After seeing what high quality streaming looks like (Zune Marketplace on Xbox @ 1080p) it's not hard to see how the same people that would use a kiosk, would be more inclined to use streaming instead. Sure, it's not $1, but there's no trip to a store, no return required and most importantly no late fee.

eh... dvd kiosks really made video stores somewhat obsolete as well, sure they're around but not in the numbers that they were. Strange how that works when one particular business model gets topped by another... almost like an evolution.

Trust me... You really don't want everyone streaming all of their video needs. I constantly see on here people complaining about not getting their advertised 80MB down (or whatever), now imagine every user streaming 3+mb constantly,,,

Or IPTV... Suddenly all users at your ISP are using 1+mb constantly. I can almost guarantee that your ISP doesn't even have 1mb of pipe per user.

Fix the infrastructure, then maybe streaming can take over.

i thought that redbox's answer is $1 blu-ray? the kiosks might go down eventually but the remain very popular right now...seems like these analysts could maybe spend some time in the real-world. every time i go to the grocery store people are either using or waiting in line for redbox...

Trust me... You really don't want everyone streaming all of their video needs. I constantly see on here people complaining about not getting their advertised 80MB down (or whatever), now imagine every user streaming 3+mb constantly,,,

Not to mention, I'd like to actually "own" my movies, and not have some DRM that had a timebomb on a download so I have 1 year to watch it, and if I'd like to watch it for another year it'll cost me just a little more..

there is still a ton of America that doesn't have access to broadband much less actual subscribers. Those redboxes might go away in some of the bigger cities but in the more rural areas I bet you will see them for a long while yet.

And yes I am in that camp that thinks the ISPs will end up killing streaming before its all said and done with usage caps or some other scheme that will force you to pay more (or buy through their "partners" so they can get a kickback.

I want the new $1.50 blu-rays... if Redbox did games too that would be sweet.

I went to Blockbuster for the first time in a few years to rent a game because I just bought a PS3 and didn't feel like shelling out $30-60 for games yet. And I ask the girl behind the counter, says first I need to create a membership (must have cancelled the old one) and use my driver's license for records. Then I ask how much a game rental is and it's $9... you can buy used games for $9!

But if redbox had them for $2-3 for a 1 day rental or whatever, you get to try the game out at least and see if it's worth buying and without spending a ton of cash.

Not to mention, I'd like to actually "own" my movies, and not have some DRM that had a timebomb on a download so I have 1 year to watch it, and if I'd like to watch it for another year it'll cost me just a little more..
Not to mention with older movies, the company doing the streaming can just one day stop offering that movie. If you own the disc, that's not a worry.

I really hate streaming, netflixs on hd streaming looks like crap to me, there are macroblocks that appear, motion just isn't that great on streamed stuff.

I really hate streaming, netflixs on hd streaming looks like crap to me, there are macroblocks that appear, motion just isn't that great on streamed stuff.

QFT. Its a great idea but there are times when it just doesn't pan out well. Plus you're at the mercy of your connection. If it goes down at optimal viewing time (like late at night) then you're screwed. Physical media being rented doesn't require a net connection, unless you're trying to access some kind of special online only content that it grants.

I would rather have a dvd anyday. Streaming as of now the quality sucks (more so on bigger tv's) and like others have said I prefer to have it on some type of medium. I was renting from netflix but in the last couple months started going back to Blockbuster. I get what i want when i want it. Not a day or two later and quality if better than any stream. It was nice but our blockbuster is very close and i pass it atleast twice a day.

Just about everyone in the U.S. has access to broadband but if everyone were to start streaming blu-ray sized movies all at once our entire internet structure would collapse. Perhaps one day we will have the technology and means for this to be feasible but as of now the majority of americans can barely stream divx quality movies without lagging out their own connection, i.e. 1.5mb DSL. Until larger and faster connections come out, i.e. 35mb a sec or more, streaming actual high-def will not be a reality. Perhaps people will give up on high def and go back to standard definition though if this article has any merit. I have a feeling though it's businesses like Netflix killing DVD kiosks as that is where I get a lot of my movies from, renting them from Netflix. I have not bought a DVD in the past 5 years though, every new movie I've aquired has been Blu-Ray and I'm starting to amass quite a collection.

& I am just the exact opposite of what appears to be popular thought. I have given away all my DVD's & only have a couple blue rays that I own. I use netflix for any other br that I want to watch, But I can tell you that for every 1 physical disk watched in my house there is probably 15-20 streamed. & we like it that way.

Just about everyone in the U.S. has access to broadband but if everyone were to start streaming blu-ray sized movies all at once our entire internet structure would collapse. Perhaps one day we will have the technology and means for this to be feasible but as of now the majority of americans can barely stream divx quality movies without lagging out their own connection, i.e. 1.5mb DSL. Until larger and faster connections come out, i.e. 35mb a sec or more, streaming actual high-def will not be a reality. Perhaps people will give up on high def and go back to standard definition though if this article has any merit. I have a feeling though it's businesses like Netflix killing DVD kiosks as that is where I get a lot of my movies from, renting them from Netflix. I have not bought a DVD in the past 5 years though, every new movie I've aquired has been Blu-Ray and I'm starting to amass quite a collection.

Netflix hd movies that are streamed only stream at about 200Kb per sec, so anyone with a 1.5mb service should be able to do netflixs hd streaming. I don't see bluray sized movies coming for a long time on a streaming service.

I've heard some really bad things about Gamefly... so much that I didn't even want to try it.
Interesting, what have you heard? I have never used game fly.

Interesting, what have you heard? I have never used game fly.

Like taking 3-5 days to register that you actually returned a game before they'll send out a new one. And if it gets lost in the mail they claim it against you and try to get you to pay full price for the lost disk. And just overall being really slow or never having any games in stock that are worthy of checking out.

It'd be an awesome concept if it was to the level of Netflix in terms of speed/customer service but I don't think it's anywhere near that.

No worries. I think the whiney ISP's and their ever-present complaints about users using bandwidth will save them. I'm not convinced they won't eventually be the death-blow to streaming media.

Badow! I think you nailed it.

AT&T will not be a threat anytime soon.

Until they can stream full bluray resolution WITH the lossless soundtrack there will be a demand for physical discs, at least for me or anyone else who wants the highest quality movie watching experience.

Like taking 3-5 days to register that you actually returned a game before they'll send out a new one. And if it gets lost in the mail they claim it against you and try to get you to pay full price for the lost disk. And just overall being really slow or never having any games in stock that are worthy of checking out.

It'd be an awesome concept if it was to the level of Netflix in terms of speed/customer service but I don't think it's anywhere near that.

Well...

I registered in one day and I had my first game delivered 2 days later.

I average 2 days after mailing in my game to receiving my next one.

You have to remember a $60 video game isn't as easy to keep in mass stock as a $10 DVD is.

You have to understand that BRAND NEW video games will take a while to get as those are going to have insane demand.

If your game is lost in the mail you can also make a claim with the local mail carrier, if it was scanned (which it most likely was) they will pay for lost property. You also realize that netflix will also make you pay for lost movies as well right? they also massively over charge for lost blu-rays.

I've had a really good experience with gamefly, right now I don't have any games out. I just returned 2 games and didn't load up my queue. I'm waiting to see if I'm buying black ops or halo reach.

I absolutely disagree. I still prefer actual media for anything I purchase.

Rentals, fine. But not for the one's I want to keep.

The entire cd/dvd/br medium needs to "fade".

I absolutely disagree. I still prefer actual media for anything I purchase.

Rentals, fine. But not for the one's I want to keep.

Same here. I prefer a physical copy to store and rip the content to the hard drive. I'll buy a DVD or BluRay that comes with a digital copy anyday over renting it if I love the movie enough.

Until they can stream full bluray resolution WITH the lossless soundtrack there will be a demand for physical discs, at least for me or anyone else who wants the highest quality movie watching experience.
^ This. Yeah, streaming is nice for those older movies you just can't find on disc any more, but if it's a new title, I want the FULL experience.

Back