Will every game work with an USB DVD drive?

Vol

Limp Gawd
I am planning to buy an USB DVD drive for my computer and put my actual DVD burner in my second computer. I am wondering though, with all the "enhanced" game protection out there (i.e. starforce), will I have any problem playing with the original disc of my games? Will it work out just as good as an IDE one (minus the booting ability)?

It shoudl but...

a) you can't say anything will -always- work in Windows.
b) ...especially when looking at copy protection.

I really hope it is at least a USB 2.0 port or the performance may lag bad. This is just a guess, never used an external drive for a game. :confused:

Most modern games only use the cd when you first click the shortcut starting the game to do some copy protection checks, and then occasionally maybe when you change levels or start a new game or multiplayer game.

Random checks here and there.

Performance really is not an issue. Its a matter of being compatible with all the funky copy protection schemes out there. I think a USB cd drive would be, but its hard to guarantee. Sometimes even regular internal drives don't work.

Meh. Of course they won't. Not every game will work in an internal IDE drive, even.

I imagine you'd be fine in general though.

I imagine Star Force games will most certainly NOT work with a USB DVD-ROM drive. Since it only works via the IDE bus you will most likely find yourself inable to bypass the CD check.

Nuzzles said:
Meh. Of course they won't. Not every game will work in an internal IDE drive, even.

I imagine you'd be fine in general though.
This is what I was thinking at first but...

Kiggles said:
I imagine Star Force games will most certainly NOT work with a USB DVD-ROM drive. Since it only works via the IDE bus you will most likely find yourself inable to bypass the CD check.
This is what I was afraid about. Anyone played a recent game that have starforce (list here) with an USB drive?

You can play StarForce games using an external drive but I believe you have to disable your IDE channels to do so.

Back