will I be guranteed not to get my eyes strained if i switch from crt to lcd?

joethemole

Gawd
I hate the eye strain problem with crts. I have mine right now at 85hz, but its still a ***** looking at it for any extended period of time over like 15 minutes. Not to mention whemn i get the eye strains and then squeeze my eyes, it makes the squishy sound.

i'm thinking of making the switch to lcd. my primary concern is, WILL IT STOP THE STRAINS!!

also, what response time/contrast ratio or whatnot *is noob* should i look for in lcd if i BARELY game, but just as a precaution if i ever do again.

the only guaruntees in live are that you will die and pay taxes.. haha..

seriosuly though.. it could be other things.. florescent lighting.. who knows.. you only will know if you try.. which kinda sucks..

do you know of anywhere to go that has lcd monitors? like a library or something?i still use crts because i get them at thrift stores for dirt cheap.. i normally don't have eye strain wanyways..

urr i have a 3 year old dell laptop... i don't remember if i get eyestrains (don't have it now), but i might have gotten a bit of it.

oh yeah, and i have a 9600xt which means i usually play games at around 1000res. I heard that the lower you go from the native res, which i think is 1200 for 17" (i'm seriously thinking of getting this size), then the game looks bad. is this true? if so HOW BAD is it? like unplayable or what.

Since I made the switch to LCD over 3 years ago I have never gotten eye strain when looking at my monitor. I did have eye strain occasionally with CRTs.

you are pretty much guaranteed to get less eyestrain, but complete elimination depends on your eyes, distance, and usage.

but isn't less alone worth it?

joethemole said:
also, what response time/contrast ratio or whatnot *is noob* should i look for in lcd if i BARELY game, but just as a precaution if i ever do again.

16 ms sounds good.

I used to get really bad eye strains while being on computer for extended period of time. So the next time I went to an eye doctor I asked him about it and he told me you're supposed to sit at least one arm length away from your monitor, have pleanty of lighting in the room you're in, and every 15-30 minutes look away at something distant, like a clock or what not to let your eye muscles relax for a second.

When you stair at the monitor at one distance for hours on end, its just like holding your arm in one position, after a while its gonna get sore unless you move it once in a while.

iamtherat said:
you are pretty much guaranteed to get less eyestrain, but complete elimination depends on your eyes, distance, and usage.

but isn't less alone worth it?

No, yes, and maybe. It depends on your screens & eyes. I can look at a good CRT all day. 10 minutes with a bad one makes me go berzerk. These days I don't think CRTs are worth it unless you're either broke or get a top grade one. Those cheap crappy not flat or not really flat shadow mask screens just aren't any good. Either get a high end NEC or a good used high end Sony, NEC, Hitachi, Eizo, etc. if you want a CRT. Personally I prefer CRTs, but I stick with the top grade models. These days that's either NEC or used. Maybe Viewsonic's top of the line (haven't seen one), but the P220f I just got at work is so-so. Actually, I should probably say it's crap. It won't make me berzerk, but the picture's worse than the cheap-ass Phillips 21" non-flat screen purchasing decided was a good deal a few months back. The Hitachi CM823F 21" I bought 3 years ago is crystal clear though, as is the 3yo 24" Sony GDM-FW900 widescreen I picked up off eBay for $478 a few weeks ago.
There are a lot of shit CRTs out there these days. Get a high end NEC or a good used one if you like the color quality, contrast, and response time of a CRT. Otherwise just get an LCD.

zandor said:
No, yes, and maybe. It depends on your screens & eyes. I can look at a good CRT all day. 10 minutes with a bad one makes me go berzerk. These days I don't think CRTs are worth it unless you're either broke or get a top grade one. Those cheap crappy not flat or not really flat shadow mask screens just aren't any good. Either get a high end NEC or a good used high end Sony, NEC, Hitachi, Eizo, etc. if you want a CRT. Personally I prefer CRTs, but I stick with the top grade models. These days that's either NEC or used. Maybe Viewsonic's top of the line (haven't seen one), but the P220f I just got at work is so-so. Actually, I should probably say it's crap. It won't make me berzerk, but the picture's worse than the cheap-ass Phillips 21" non-flat screen purchasing decided was a good deal a few months back. The Hitachi CM823F 21" I bought 3 years ago is crystal clear though, as is the 3yo 24" Sony GDM-FW900 widescreen I picked up off eBay for $478 a few weeks ago.
There are a lot of shit CRTs out there these days. Get a high end NEC or a good used one if you like the color quality, contrast, and response time of a CRT. Otherwise just get an LCD.

I am currently using an NEC multisync Fe950+ 19" flat screen.

It ain't cutting it for me anymore! also, i noticed that my friend's sony trinitron 19"looks alot better than mine.

It's funny you brought this up... I haven't thought about this issue since switching to LCD, but I use to suffer from extreme dry eyes and eye strain in general with my old 19" viewsonic CRT. I've been using the Dell 2005 since November and I have yet to notice any of the symptoms I had before. I am usually on the computer most week nights from 1-5 hours doing Autocad work I bring home from work or web searching ... then I try to get an hour or 2 of gaming in before bed. My eyes use to actually hurt when I was ready to call it a day, but like I said, I don't notice it at all anymore.

I say go for it. And if you do, keep an eye on the [H]ot Deals section for all the great Dell coupons that keep showing up. Set yourself up with a nice 20" Dell 2001fp, not a weak 17" or even 19". ... You won't regret it.

joethemole said:
I am currently using an NEC multisync Fe950+ 19" flat screen.

It ain't cutting it for me anymore! also, i noticed that my friend's sony trinitron 19"looks alot better than mine.
i have a 19inch fe950+bk.. it was $360 new of course.. and then i got a trinitron sony rebadged as a "micron".. for $13.88 at goodwill.. flat tube.. and it looks way better than the NEC.. but it is only a 17 and white... right now all of my good monitors are in DC, i am in florida.. and i am looking for an excuse to drive up there and get more of my stuff...

LCD's changed my life, and much for the better.

I spent good money years back on top notch 21" CRT monitors with high refresh rates. Still after extended periods, my eyes would get bugged out, followed by major headaches.

Ever since I got one, I have never had that issue. I can go 8+ hours working on a project and sure my eyes are a lil tired from focusing on text or graphics, but it is a HUGE difference. (Currently im using a Dell 2001FP)

Personally, for the amount im at my computer, knowing what I do now, I would spend 4x the amount for this burden off my eyes.

Hope that helps a little, for me it made a HUGE difference!

Well I myself just made the switch tonight. I am enjoying the crispness of the LCD and the colors. Being stuck to native resolutions is my biggest complaint. Which is why I had to spend so much on a larger LCD. Also finding one I could game on was an even bigger chore.

I ended up with a Viewsonic VP201S. It's a 20.1 inch display. Native resolution is 1600x1200.

What I can't believe is how much clearer it is than CRT's. And I've only used high end CRT's.

I tested out a bunch of lcds and i found that the eyestrain they create is about the same as running a crt at 100Hz.

what is the whole deal about gaming on native resolutions? i have a 9600xt which runs most games on 800 or 1000 res

If your CRT is a good one, like a Sony trinitron at 85Hz vert. or higher, you shouldn't get a lot of eye strain. But after prolong use during the day, you'll get some.

To solve that problem temporary, buy "Natural Tear Drop", disposable, they are about $10 for a huge pack of 60 or so. You'll feel much better on your eyes.

And switching to LCD is much better for your eyes.

aciddrink said:
So the next time I went to an eye doctor I asked him about it and he told me you're supposed to sit at least one arm length away from your monitor, have pleanty of lighting in the room you're in, and every 15-30 minutes look away at something distant, like a clock or what not to let your eye muscles relax for a second.
I sit an arm's length away from my CRT, my eyes are just not comfortable with being any closer. And I try to look away and focus on something distant every few minutes. Sometimes the cat will go barreling through the room and that gives me a nice distraction. :)

Back