Will I have bottleknecks with peformance??

jbweldon04

n00b
My rig is in my signature. Gigabyte board with E6600 3.2 Ghz at FSB 401 and multiplier X8. With an 8800 GTS, will there be bottlenecks that hinder the overall performance in my system? Should I stick with a 7950 GT, or upgrade? It's a huge investment to upgrade to the DX10 card, but they are $390 now at Newegg.

You have a Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3.2Ghz and you are worried about a CPU bottleneck?

What the hell else can you buy as an upgraded processor other than a Quad core?

Jeez these threads are getting more and more extreme as time goes by.

Uh, yeah, it will bottleneck performance - you need a server motherboard with Dual Quad Cores overclocked to at least 5.2 Ghz and a liquid nitrogen cooling system if you want to get the most out of your system.

My rig is in my signature. Gigabyte board with E6600 3.2 Ghz at FSB 401 and multiplier X8. With an 8800 GTS, will there be bottlenecks that hinder the overall performance in my system? Should I stick with a 7950 GT, or upgrade? It's a huge investment to upgrade to the DX10 card, but they are $390 now at Newegg.

You'll LOVE the GTS. You won't hit a bottleneck till you get 2 GTX's in SLI.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so testy. Arcygenical is right, you will be thrilled with a GTS. Thanks for reminding me via example of how to be a better forum poster and participant Arcygenical.

I have wondered the same thing concerning my 8800GTX and the E6600 on my motherboard. As a result, I did some testing starting at 3.6GHz on the E6600 and measuring performance in Oblivion at 1920x1080x32 (4xAA and 8xAF).

What I discovered was that I did not have any detectible bottleneck until I went below 3.0GHz. This pleased me a bunch since this CPU speed also seemed to help keep my 8800 GTX cooler. It runs at about 53C in 2D and about 73C after a few hours in Oblivion.

As a follow up, I OCed the 8800 GTX to 648/2106 with the fan set at 80%. In order to stablize the FPS I had to increase the E6600 clock to about 3.2GHz.

HTH :)

Wow, that's a good experiment. If you don't mind my asking, what game did you test it in? Could you share a little bit more of the actual numbers? I wish someone would do this with a GTS.

Is your 7950 GT running your games too slow? Otherwise wait till there's a DX10 game before you upgrade to a DX10 card. They'll most likely be even cheaper than $390 by the time you need a DX10 card.

I'm an impatient buyer and wanted a DX10 card now. I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase. I had just built a new computer and the only thing I regreted not doing was getting a DX10 card, but the 8800 GTS's were so expensive two months ago. They are much better now, which is why I have one now. The 7950 GT is fine though.

As to my small minded thread, I posted because I have just started becoming an enthusiast gamer. Two months ago I played games on a Pentium 4 with an ATI Raedon 9800 Pro. I love my new setup and I've quickly gotten addicted to Overclocking and getting the best performance out of my computer. It's a fun hobby and I've been learning a lot these past two months. This has been my #1 place to go to look for help with customizing my system and has been a real help. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant or if my questions are just too simple to answer for you. I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as I can. But I do love this forum and I love how good the responses usually are.
B

I have wondered the same thing concerning my 8800GTX and the E6600 on my motherboard. As a result, I did some testing starting at 3.6GHz on the E6600 and measuring performance in Oblivion at 1920x1080x32 (4xAA and 8xAF).

What I discovered was that I did not have any detectible bottleneck until I went below 3.0GHz. This pleased me a bunch since this CPU speed also seemed to help keep my 8800 GTX cooler. It runs at about 53C in 2D and about 73C after a few hours in Oblivion.

As a follow up, I OCed the 8800 GTX to 648/2106 with the fan set at 80%. In order to stablize the FPS I had to increase the E6600 clock to about 3.2GHz.

HTH :)

So that would suggest that an x2 4400 running 2.5ghz would bottleneck an 8800gtx?
In which case would i be better of buying an 8800GT?
Woudl the GTX be a waste?
I will be running at 1920x1200 hopefully with high levels of aa and af

You have a Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3.2Ghz and you are worried about a CPU bottleneck?

What the hell else can you buy as an upgraded processor other than a Quad core?

Jeez these threads are getting more and more extreme as time goes by.

Uh, yeah, it will bottleneck performance - you need a server motherboard with Dual Quad Cores overclocked to at least 5.2 Ghz and a liquid nitrogen cooling system if you want to get the most out of your system.

looooooooooooool

I read in review don't remember the site (in spanish) and say the 8800 is the more advantage technology and the cpus today cant push all power, we can wait more power of the 8800gtx the reason of the short difference between single and sli is the cpu.

So that would suggest that an x2 4400 running 2.5ghz would bottleneck an 8800gtx?
In which case would i be better of buying an 8800GT?
Woudl the GTX be a waste?
I will be running at 1920x1200 hopefully with high levels of aa and af
At this resolution, I'd recommend an 8800GTS. However, if you plan on a BIG overclock or an upgrade in your system during the next 1-2 years, I'd say get the 8800GTX, if you can afford it. Having room to grow (or support a real GPU hungry game (maybe using DX10)) is always a good consideration. This is just my opinion.

TBH I will prob have a new card again in the next couple of years.
I would like to get the best possible, but not if it is a waste of money.
I would be buying the card purely with a view to here and now, i.e not too worried about future proofing as i tend to upgrade my card at least once a year.

The only thing i dont want to do is buy a GTX if i am not going to see any benefit over the GT, and waste my money.

The long and short of it is, will the GTX provide a noticeable improvement over the GT on my current rig (x2 4400 @ 2.5ghz) or will it just be bottlenecked by my cpu to a level where i may aswell have just gone for a GT?

Bearing in mind i will be gaming at 1920x1200 with all the eye candy.

Thanks.

Back