Will it fit?

The Thermaltake looks like a riced-out Honda Civic, while the Silverstone looks like a Bentley.

Actually the SG01 is somewhat of a bad choice as you'll need to remove the 3.5" drive cage for the card to fit, but it is doable. pic

The newer/cheaper (plastic&steel instead of aluminum) SG02 is designed to fit large video cards. (its drive tray is adjustable)

As to the OPs original question, Will a 9800GTX fit in a thermaltake lanbox? No, not without modification as the drive mountings interfere with the video card.

It is possible to modify the lanbox to fit a larger video card like the 9800GTX or 8800GTX (Same length). (link)

Also the lanbox is ugly. :)

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate the info.

So no dice on the Thermaltake Case then?

What would you guys recommend?

I would really like to have the 9800GTX fit along with my Raptor X and 2 of my other hard drives.

Thank you,

Constantine

That's what she said?

edit: I think in the LanBox lite ( which has no handle but looks better to me ) you can take out the hd cage and fit fullsize cards in there.

edit: You said 2 HD's. Won't work unless you get adaptors and fit 1 in the 3.5 slot.

That's what she said?

edit: I think in the LanBox lite ( which has no handle but looks better to me ) you can take out the hd cage and fit fullsize cards in there.

That's what your mom said.

Yes, Enough about your promiscuous mother.

He actually wants Three hard drives, one raptor and two storage. Most mATX cases only provide mounts for two 3.5" internal drives, although you can mount the third one in either an empty 3.5" external bay or into a 5.25" bay with an adaptor.

For cube cases that will guaranteedly fit a 9800GTX you basically have the Silverstone SG02, Apevia X-Qpack/2, QMICRA v2 or NZXT Rogue. Basically increasing in size in that order; The Rogue is a pretty large case, consider that people have modded Full ATX boards to fit in it. :)

If you want to consider small tower cases there is the Silverstone SG-03.

Or of more conventional design you have the Silverstone TJ08, Antec 3480(or 3400) or Coolermaster Elite 340(same as the TJ08 but a lot cheaper).

The advantage of these last 3 cases is they can be outfitted with all 120MM (and/or 92MM) fans and large tower heatsinks, making for cool, quiet systems well suited for overclocking.

Antec P180 Mini hands down. The White version is 120$ with free shipping at the egg.

Antec P180 Mini hands down. The White version is 120$ with free shipping at the egg.

yeah, but getting that case defeats the purpose of a mATX rig. It's so big!

I'd suggest the Lanbox Lite - with the 7" bay up top you could potentially fit 2 hard drives side by side. I have it and it is an amazingly well designed case.

I'd get the SG03 before the mini-180 if you are looking for small as possible tower styles. Not many SFF cases will hold the big video cards but the SG03 does. Squeezee pretty much laid out whats available. The only case I could add to his list is the MM H2g0. Its more mATX than SFF although it'll also fit ATX mobos. Its pricey like the Qmicra V2 though.

Speaking from experience the SG03 isnt that bad to carry around. I have a Geargrip harness on mine for easier transport between home and work. I can even fit it into a standard half height gym locker its small and narrow enough. Thats with a Dell 19" LCD. Not many SFF cases can do that because they are too wide. Maybe someday I'll show a pic of my set up when its in a locker at work. ;)

yeah, but getting that case defeats the purpose of a mATX rig. It's so big!

I'd suggest the Lanbox Lite - with the 7" bay up top you could potentially fit 2 hard drives side by side. I have it and it is an amazingly well designed case.
This is true, but then compare it to other towers in its class and they just don't match it. The P180 mini is a great case. I have 3HDs in the top cage, removed the bottom and mounted a 120fan. With this cage gone I have room for any length card. ;) Plus their are 3 5 1/2 bays as well. So I still have room for 5 HDs. Plus the 200mm fan is great. With just 3 fans in my system, it is staying cooler then my huge rocketfish and old CM 690 while keeping the DBA at a lower level.

This is true, but then compare it to other towers in its class and they just don't match it. The P180 mini is a great case. I have 3HDs in the top cage, removed the bottom and mounted a 120fan. With this cage gone I have room for any length card. ;) Plus their are 3 5 1/2 bays as well. So I still have room for 5 HDs. Plus the 200mm fan is great. With just 3 fans in my system, it is staying cooler then my huge rocketfish and old CM 690 while keeping the DBA at a lower level.
The "Mini" P180 has some unique features, but it's also the same size as a small Full ATX tower like the Lian-Li PC-A05.

Back