will my antec true 430 be enough for my new rig?

jellysandwich

Limp Gawd
itll have:

c2d e4xxx or e6xxx
2gb ram
ati x1950 or nvidia 8xxx
3 hard drives
2 cdroms

should i be looking into a new psu?

js

The new hardware will probably pull less than 300 watts full load.
But with new hardware most of that will come off the 12v rail.

So if it will supply 200-250 watts happily on the 12v rail you should be ok.
Otherwise look to upgrade.

Luck ........... :D

Also, adding all the 12v rails together never equals max load. Usually in the sticker in the row below the individual rows it will give a combined figure, and this is always lower than if you added all the individual maxes for each rail.

I'd suggest you replace your PSU, with a non Antec.

Also, adding all the 12v rails together never equals max load. Usually in the sticker in the row below the individual rows it will give a combined figure, and this is always lower than if you added all the individual maxes for each rail.

I'd suggest you replace your PSU, with a non Antec.

He didn't add them all together... If he did it would have come out to 48amps.

The Antec has enough power... However, Antec's are known to self destruct within a years time when under load. So it will likely work, but who knows how long it will last.

The Antec has enough power... However, Antec's are known to self destruct within a years time when under load. So it will likely work, but who knows how long it will last.

I can confirm that. I've had 2 Antec PSUs -- a 250 watt Trupower and a 500 watt Trupower 2.0. Both failed under reasonable loads in pretty much ideal conditions in a year to two years. Two 500 watts died powering my old machine:

Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939, stock HSF, no OC (later Thermaltake Silentwater, no OC)
Radeon X800XT with Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer HSF
Gigabyte K8U-939 (replaced an over all nicer Abit board that also died)
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
1GB DDR
2 PATA HDDs
2 PATA DVDRWs
2 120mm fans

My friend's 500 watt Trupower 2.0 died powering a slightly less demanding Athlon XP / Radeon 9800 Pro machine.

The 250 watt died powering this:
Athlon 1Ghz, stock HSF, no OC
Radeon DDR 64MB
Onboard sound
(can't remember motherboard -- had a VIA chipset, hated it)
1 HDD
1 CDRW, 1 DVDROM
1GB DDR
2 120mm fans

hmm... after reading all this, my gut says to get a new psu to be on the safe side :)

thanks guys

js

hmm... after reading all this, my gut says to get a new psu to be on the safe side :)

thanks guys

js

Thats a good idea. Your Antec could probably do it, but putting a power supply that close to it's rated power in a daily use computer is bad.

Seasonics all the way. The newer Trios from Antec are supposedly made by Seasonic so you might see better reliability from that line.

Back