Will my PSU run a GTX 260?

GTX 260 by fair margine.

You know back then when you owned a typical C2DE6700, 2GB 800MHZ ram and 2 hdds in raid with a 8800ultra slapped into the setup..ppl where recommending a 600watt and 650watt psu's in order to deliver the right amount of power for the 8800ultra. Why is it then you just suggested that the GTX260 requires more power then a 8800ultra only requiring a lower speced and lower wattage psu? such as sticking to his 500 watt psu at the moment? why?

You know back then when you owned a typical C2DE6700, 2GB 800MHZ ram and 2 hdds in raid with a 8800ultra slapped into the setup..ppl where recommending a 600watt and 650watt psu's in order to deliver the right amount of power for the 8800ultra. Why is it then you just suggested that the GTX260 requires more power then a 8800ultra only requiring a lower speced and lower wattage psu? such as sticking to his 500 watt psu at the moment? why?

Can you rephrase that I did not understand what you meant, unless you're stating that directly to Mr.Wizard

he said that the gtx260 uses more power then a 8800ultra. Back then when C2D's and 8000 series were first released ppl recommended 600watt psu's to power any high end setups with a 8800ultra in it. Now that GTX260 is released and assuming it requires more power then a 8800ultra...why are ppl recommending only mid 500watt psu's? Is it because the 8800ultra is based on old technology and design that it still needs more power then a gtx260 or is it that the latest C2D's processors are, the less power they require?

Well people over-exaggerate on the power needed to run a certain system... like the clueless guy recommending you the corsair 1000watt PSU for instance.

Heck there was two threads where people were running a a GTX280 on the 450watt corsair psu's.

he said that the gtx260 uses more power then a 8800ultra. Back then when C2D's and 8000 series were first released ppl recommended 600watt psu's to power any high end setups with a 8800ultra in it. Now that GTX260 is released and assuming it requires more power then a 8800ultra...why are ppl recommending only mid 500watt psu's? Is it because the 8800ultra is based on old technology and design that it still needs more power then a gtx260 or is it that the latest C2D's processors are, the less power they require?

You should ask the people that made those recommendations

Why ask MrWizard6600 why "some dude" on the internet recommended a 600W psu about a year ago?

and the reason I posted that Corsair 550W psu is because it can power everything he wants in his computer (even the the upgrades/overclocking he plans on doing). You are posting wattages and non-specific terms like "good quality"

my ocz520 watt powerstream (nonsli) using a molex->pci-e adapter for the 2nd pci-e slot power my 3.6ghz e8400, 2 hard drives, and gtx 260 fine. Been playing warhammer and team fortress 2 lately, so take it for what it's worth. Really been the best bang for the buck power supply lasting me over 5 years.

and the reason I posted that Corsair 550W psu is because it can power everything he wants in his computer (even the the upgrades/overclocking he plans on doing). You are posting wattages and non-specific terms like "good quality"

Yeah, whats the point of arguing? Are people like you and I just making this up? NO. I just posted my system up above, and yet some guy is recommending a 1000w psu? Wth.
I am not lying either, my whole system is powered by the Corsair 550w and mildly overclocked. Even with these mild overclocks, I am really sure its around 435w-440w at most. :confused:

Mine's been running great with OCZ520ADJSLI. Check sig. Had it since 2006. Very stable up to this day.

Back