Will my stuff corrode?

chanchan

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure what my RAD is made out of, it's the Thermaltake Armor LCS, they have a new cross-flow design RAD for this setup (not like the old crappy heater-core style).

The block is copper, I'm using distilled water + 10% water wetter.

You guys think this is going to be safe?

I'd dump the water wetter and replace it with Pentosin.

WW has been known to do bad things to loops anyways, might as well get it out when you can :)

WW cracks plastic IIRC. Putting automotive coolants (like Pentosin) is environmentally unfriendly as the stuff usuaslly goes down the drain when you change you coolant. Why not use something thats friendly to the environment and cools better?

What are these other additives you guys are talking about?

Any good guides on emptying out my loop?

I always find my rad and stuff has lots of water left when I try to empty it.

It's difficult to empty your loop. The best solution is to get a 5 gallon bucket of distilled and put a tube from it to the loop and another tube to the waste water outlet. Pump for 5 or 10 gallons and everything should be well flushed out.

The bottom line is that all "additives" decrease cooling performance because water does the cooling. Anything else added isn't water and thus doesn't perform any cooling.

AC Fluid and to a lesser extent InnovaProtect has way less additive than when talking about automotive based additives.

AC fluid: 98% distilled to 2% additive.

Pentosin: 90% distilled to 10% additive.

You can do the math and it always cools better with more water in the circuit.

WW cracks plastic IIRC. Putting automotive coolants (like Pentosin) is environmentally unfriendly as the stuff usuaslly goes down the drain when you change you coolant. Why not use something thats friendly to the environment and cools better?

OOH OOH I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE!!!!11!!!1!!

Get rid of the mixed metals and use straight distilled water! YAY!

And use PT Nuke (a few drops is enough to avoid algae) and don't spit or put any organic matter in the loop.

(I don't do WC, I'm just curious)

What's wrong with distilled water and a few drops of bleach?

Don't forget the time factor. While it might not matter at a low concentration, keeping the water for 6 months or more will cause issues. All it take is a pinhole in the radiator to leak, or a crack on the acrylic reservoir to spill ;)

Don't forget the time factor. While it might not matter at a low concentration, keeping the water for 6 months or more will cause issues. All it take is a pinhole in the radiator to leak, or a crack on the acrylic reservoir to spill ;)

I'm almost tempted to take two 4-inch sections of copper pipe and soak one in 1L distilled water + 2 drops bleach and the other in 1L distilled water for a month and see just how much mass each one loses ;)

Damn I need to flush out my loop then and fill it with other stuff.

Sigh my tubing is stained to, does that really matter?

I found out the RAD is all aluminum I believe.

Are all those cross-flow RAD's made by other companies copper or aluminum?

Bleach will quickly turn copper black, I cant remember the chemical reaction but it will very quickly discolor it and leave a film that will/maybe/might/could/will/possibly reduce cooling and look like hell. I am not sure if it will come off and clog stuff up or not. (BTW the new flat tube is like a heatercore, heatercore types are the good one, I have the old type which is just a round copper tube snaked back and forth with Al fins. Works ok but it does look like the new ones are much better, damn shame they are all AL. )

Put a little splash of bleach in a glass tumbler of water and drop a penny in, should take only an hour or two. ( /wonders if the newer pennies have enough copper in them for this to still work as well. )

Almost all (actually all that I know of but leaving wiggle room for the guy that digs up some rare alum high performance rad) are copper. but really, a shot of antifreeze with distilled water is all you need. If you stuff is clean you don't need the algae killer but it cant hurt. 100% distilled water would be best as nothing readily available and reasonable cost can beat it. However your cooling is NOT going to go to hell and will perform just as well with a shot of antifreeze. Or buy the Tt coolant it is just distilled water and antifreeze. Theory is all cool and all but there is real live too, and so putting in some antifreeze, say 10% is not going to change your temps by enough to ever matter. Buy a gal of distilled water which is 128 ounces, set it on the counter. Mark the level of the water on the side of the jug with a marker. Pour out into a measuring cup 1 cup of the water, empty the measuring cup into the sink. Pour out another 1/2 cup of water and discard the water. You have removed 12 oz of water from the 128 leaving 116 oz. Go into garage and find jug of antifreeze and fill jug of water to the mark. (Do NOT use measuring cup !!!) You now have a gallon of water cooling fluid which is 9.3% antifreeze/anticorrosive add other shit if you decide you want to. If you want 18.7% remove 3 cups of water.

Take the marker and scribble through the label on the jug, in big letters mark it POISON!!! DO NOT DRINK !! (because it will seriously fark you up or kill you if you or someone else did.)

Bleach will quickly turn copper black, I cant remember the chemical reaction but it will very quickly discolor it and leave a film that will/maybe/might/could/will/possibly reduce cooling.

Put a little splash of bleach in a glass tumbler of water and drop a penny in, should take only an hour or two. ( /wonders if the newer pennies have enough copper in them for this to still work as well. )

I have copper pipe at home.

I will do exactly that.

I've seen innovatek's fluid result with slight corrosion over time, I wouldn't trust it. Nothing is bullet proof.

Best bet is to avoid the problem completely, all the inhibitor fluid does is make the process extremely slow given proper use and no manufacturing defects (which all companies can end up having).

If you must take the risk (and there is no reason to do so) I'd go with hydrx or pentosion. Crapping over the environmental damages caused by the use of antifreeze is rather silly since your computer by nature is not environmentally friendly at all.

And use PT Nuke (a few drops is enough to avoid algae) and don't spit or put any organic matter in the loop.

If you flush the system properly before use, use distilled water, and don't spit on the tubes then you don't need any algae killers. I added anti-algae agents when I first strted water cooling. Now I only use distilled and AC Fluid. If I didn't have any aluminum in my loop I would probably just use straight distilled water.

I'm almost tempted to take two 4-inch sections of copper pipe and soak one in 1L distilled water + 2 drops bleach and the other in 1L distilled water for a month and see just how much mass each one loses ;)

Please do so and publish your results here. :)

I've got a new milligram scale being mailed to my house in a few days, I could actually go and do this with a copper washer if anyone wants :)

I don't think a milligram scale is going to make it unless you can measure a 1/100 of a milligram. But never hurts to try. :)

So what are you using a milligram scale for anyway? ;)

I don't think a milligram scale is going to make it unless you can measure a 1/100 of a milligram. But never hurts to try. :)

So what are you using a milligram scale for anyway? ;)

Yeah, it measures within a tenth of a milligram. I'll try it anyways, for kicks.

Milligram scale is used for measuring potent chemicals required in very low doses, er... amounts. Yknow, chemical reactions... freeware linux distributions... I couldaswornshewas18.

XD

I've got a new milligram scale being mailed to my house in a few days, I could actually go and do this with a copper washer if anyone wants :)

I was trying to find a friend with an accurate scale and I couldn't. The penny I put in the jar with a drop of bleach hasn't changed color at all yet, but that doesn't mean much.

You do my experiment and we'll see how it goes ;)

You need a control, though. Two copper washers - one in 1L water with 2 drops bleach, one in plain water for the same amount of time.

I've got an experiment planned.

2 washers in each liter of fluid.
Distilled Water, Vinegar, Bleach (2% concentration), Bleach (10% concentration)
Before and after weights of each washer included.
Time frame of 48 hours.

I've got an experiment planned.

2 washers in each liter of fluid.
Distilled Water, Vinegar, Bleach (2% concentration), Bleach (10% concentration)
Before and after weights of each washer included.
Time frame of 48 hours.

Sounds great, though 10% is way way high for this sort of thing. I'd do about a teaspoon per liter which is about 0.5% bleach.

I think pennies made before 1996 was copper. Newer ones is copper-plated zinc indeed.

The penny hasn't been all-copper since 1837.

It was 95% copper (most of the time) from then to 1982, at which point it became a core of solid zinc with a copper plating.

Then a easier way to get copper would be to buy some plumbing elbows, weight both and file some till both is exactly the same weight then start the experiment.

Then a easier way to get copper would be to buy some plumbing elbows, weight both and file some till both is exactly the same weight then start the experiment.

There's no need whatsoever for both pieces of copper to be the same weight at the start of the experiment, just that we have an accurate measurement for each.

Arcygenical is using copper washers, not pennies.

Sounds great, though 10% is way way high for this sort of thing. I'd do about a teaspoon per liter which is about 0.5% bleach.

You need a control situation for both ways ;).

No need. I'll just find the mass deltas before and after immersion for each piece. I can then find percentage of lost material.

Most finished copper parts found is alloyed to one degree or another. I think the only place to buy pure copper is from a metals supply house.

I too find it interesting that Arcy has use for a milligram scale. I had use for those things, at one point in my life ;) Arcy...it's time to grow up now, okay? PUT THE PIPE DOWN! (the copper one, that is...in the bleach solution) :D

Back