Will PC3200 work in a PC2700 MoBo???

MYSTic Jedi

Limp Gawd
I know this may sound kinda noobish, but my mobo only suports PC2700 RAM, and i would like some more RAM, But PC3200 is so much more common and is usually imo. I think i read somewhere that you could, that just the speed would be reduced, or is that only certain types or RAM? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it will downclock itself, but in rare cases the timings wont play nice with the mobo.

ok, thanks for the info, I have a compaq presario S6100NX that my parents bought me like 2 or 3 years ago, and i was just wondering. But it does only have 2 RAM slots, and i have the stock 256 stick that came with it and i added a kingston 512 later, but another question i have is, should i replace the 256 with a 512, or get a 1 gig stick?

Just a thought:

You may want to investigate the mainboard as it may only support 1GB max... ie 2x512.. etc...

MD_Willington said:
Just a thought:

You may want to investigate the mainboard as it may only support 1GB max... ie 2x512.. etc...
Well, SiSoft Sandra tells me it suports 2 GB, so yeah, heres some pics (sorry for the size)
SiSoftSandra.jpg

RAM.jpg

Thanks for all the help! ;)

Back