Will pencil lead act as a conductor? Need to fix my iPod

Wilken

Limp Gawd
I believe that I saw an overclocking guide a few years ago where they bridged together parts of an AMD Tbird CPU by actually drawing on it with pencil lead and that acted as a conductor. I just want to confirm that the lead will in fact work as a conductor?

I ask this because I broke the extremely tiny solder joints of the molex connector on my iPod and the only thing I can think of to bridge the gaps would be to use some pencil lead... but even that might not be small enough.

Information/suggestions appreciated.

Go to bottom of page for another post with more info:

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2326/mini4xj.jpg

I actually read this somewhere also. And i do believe it is possible. Im pretty sure my friend did it a while back with an AMD. But i cant say for sure. I'll post back after I ask him.

I've used it on my Thunderbird to successfully unlock the multiplier, so yes, the graphite in pencil 'lead' can be used to conduct electricity. However, I wouldn't depend on it for anything other than bridging extremely short distances in a place where it won't smudge or smear.

Can we get a picture of it?

Anyway, it should work, but it won't be perfect, since there will be a fairly high resistance there.

I would suggest conductive epoxy like is commonly used to repair rear window defrosters. ;)

I know graphite lead conducts, back in high school when we were doing electricity experiments we would always connect circuts with wires connected to graphite lead and they would glow red hot and smoke

I have an iPod, but I'm not sure which part of the connector you're referring to. Pics would help? As everyone said, Graphite does work, but it depends on how far you're going and how much voltage you need. Tbirds didn't need that much to "unlock" the processor, that's why it was easy. If you're talking about a power connector, it might be a bit much.

Anyway, would an electrical/conductive pen work? I used one to repair the PCB board on my car's remote entry keychain. Works well. Not as cheap as a pencil, but it gets the job done. Probably pick one up at any electronics or hardware store. I picked mine up at Fry's.

heh... my old Tbird is still unlocked.. running about 5 years now. 1.0 @1.33Ghz.
liked that pencil trick!

Blue Knight said:
Anyway, would an electrical/conductive pen work? I used one to repair the PCB board on my car's remote entry keychain. Works well. Not as cheap as a pencil, but it gets the job done. Probably pick one up at any electronics or hardware store. I picked mine up at Fry's.

Get the conductive pen. It is the best way to go. It's designed to do what you need. Pencil lead is not. A special note: Get the feel for it before you try it on your Ipod. They do not "write" like a normal pencil. Try it on an old pcb or piece of plastic.

Blue Knight said:
I have an iPod, but I'm not sure which part of the connector you're referring to. Pics would help? As everyone said, Graphite does work, but it depends on how far you're going and how much voltage you need. Tbirds didn't need that much to "unlock" the processor, that's why it was easy. If you're talking about a power connector, it might be a bit much.

Radio Shack started carrying conductive pens also

FLECOM said:
Radio Shack started carrying conductive pens also
It's about time. I walked in there one day when I was trying to do a pair of XP-MP mods, and asked if they had conductive trace repair pens. The guy looked at me like I was from another planet :p

bob said:
:eek:

Holy crap people. Soldering iron.

IMHO a soldering iron will be too big, unless it is an edge connector for the battery or something like it. It may also over heat the area or cause other coladeral damage.

Hey, guys - sorry for the hiatus, my computer at home keeps crashing on me. Anyhow this is the part I am refering to:

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2326/mini4xj.jpg

The soldering joints are about the size of a period (.). With these joints broken, the controls on the clickwheel dont work. When I use a small flathead screwdriver to bridge the broken soldering connections together, the controls work again. Another stipulation is that the joints cant be touching each other so that basically rules soldering out because its too big and sloppy.

My only thought as to how to fix this would be to put a very small dab of crazy glue in between each broken joint. Then, when the glue is sufficiently hardened, draw a line on it connecting the broken metal contact points to each other. Crazy idea? Well, yea a little, but I can't think of anything better to refuse these infinitesimally tiny parts back together.

Just another thought, if the broken contacts are close:

Get one of those micro tip type screwdrivers that are used for size #1 screws and such. Get some nonacid solder flux. Take a small amount of flux and put it on the joint. Use the tip of the soldering pencil to right next to the tip of the screwdriver as the screw driver contacts the joint. There should be enough heat transfer to melt the existing solder on the joint and make contact again. When the joint is fixed, remove the solder pencil from the screwdriver until the joint hardens enough. Then remove the screwdriver. I have done this on other components that were too hard to reach directly with the soldering pencil.

I hope this helps....

Wow, that seems like a great idea. I'll give it a go when I get home! Thanks!

Back