Will putting Ramsinks on a Vid Card void the warranty?

d34dly

2[H]4U
As above. My 6800 GT is artifacting and I thought about using RAM sincks. Will this void the warranty?

Oops. It's late.

I meant my 9800 pro in my 2nd box. I just finished reading another post and had 6800 GT burned in my brain.

Yep, adding heatsinks will void the warrenty on just about any brand videocard.

as a rule of thumb, if you've done ANYTHING to the card other than left it stock the way it came, the warranty will be void. Even re-seating the hsf on the gpu is something that the vid. card companies can void the warranty for.

If it's artifacting at stock speeds, and you haven't overclocked the piss out of it previously or overvolted it, then something else is wrong that ramsinks probably won't help.

If it's artifacting and it's overclocked (hence, you've already voided the warranty), then chances are you need to bump the voltage just a little. Ramsinks may or may not help. I think as long as you've got good airflow across the card you'll be fine.

well, you can put ramsinks. just don't tell the company you put one if you're gonna rma. just open the ramsinks, simple as that. ;)

anyway, radeon 9800 pro is a hot card(well, it's hot here in malaysia), and actually the ram isn't overheating by itself, it's the core overheat, consequently the board overheat, and so are the rams. i HAVE to change the stock cooler to thermaltake fanless hsf to cool down the card completely. when the core is cool, the rams are not that hot.

saydios said:
well, you can put ramsinks. just don't tell the company you put one if you're gonna rma. just open the ramsinks, simple as that. ;)

anyway, radeon 9800 pro is a hot card(well, it's hot here in malaysia), and actually the ram isn't overheating by itself, it's the core overheat, consequently the board overheat, and so are the rams. i HAVE to change the stock cooler to thermaltake fanless hsf to cool down the card completely. when the core is cool, the rams are not that hot.

Yeah this is my problem being in Texas. Luckily winter is coming soon. Just annoys me that at stock speeds it overheats a bit. I may be taking this thing back to Frys as it's the 2nd out of 3 I have had that overheat.

How would they know if you put RAM heatsinks on? Unless you use thermal epoxy. Just use thermal tape and if you have to RMA, just take them off...

If you did overclock the card, busted it, and tried to get the warranty, how does ati know that you overclocked the card.

-D-Cypher said:
how does ati know that you overclocked the card.

They plug into the diagnostic port and read the logs from the nvram the recording chip writes to. Then they can see things like resolution, refresh rate, gpu clock, mem clock, agp voltage, etc. for the past 36hours of the cards use. It records that info once an hour.

of course, I'd call bullshit on myself with that crap above anyway :p ...so if you believe it...don't blame me. Could be true though...I could see companies doing that in the future if people keep RMA'ing the stuff they broke themselves. Would be no different than the computer in your car.

I am not overclocking it... It just gets really hot. So the only thing that might be questionable is putting sinks on.

Back