Will today's LGA1155 air coolers work with Haswell's LGA1150 socket?

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
From Wikipedia:

"Based on the supposed leak of an Intel document, cooling solutions for LGA 1155 and LGA 1156 sockets are compatible with LGA 1150, due to them having the same distance of 75 mm between each screw hole, however Intel has not confirmed this."

Has any new info come out confirming/denying this?

I'm thinking of re-upping my 1155 cooler now and don't want to have to do it again in April for Haswell.

Also, is it true that 1150 is replacing 1155 for the mainstream parts and the 'new' 2011 is replacing the current 2011 for the X79/X89 or whatever top-end parts?

Thanks.

They figured out a way to make 775 coolers fit 1366, 1156 and 1155 (and AMD sockets), so I'd guess they would at least be able to make an adapter for existing coolers even if they aren't compatible to of the box.

Would make sense to use the same size unless the processor was significantly different in scale.

Is there any more info available on this yet? Would like to pick up my cooler when in the US in May.

A lot of Asrock boards have mounts for 775 coolers next to the 115X mounts, my guess is that after 3+ years of the 115X cooler mount, intel will probably stick with it, but if they don't, Mobo manufacturers would be inclined to do what Asrock and others have done with the legacy mounts.

Noctua already announced mounting kit. They will send you one for free, if you send them the picture of receipt for any Noctua cooler - they did same when 1155 socket came in - using my old U12p since 1366 days. Going to keep it, if I decide to move to Haswell, and just be getting the mounting kit.

Any news on this? I've a Thermalright Venomous X and an lga 1156 board right now. I'm guessing it'll fit...

As far i know will be compatible all the 1155/1156 on the 1150. The only difference from this point its the label 115X for the coolers... So all fine.

From the last presentation I got from my Intel rep, the thermal devices will have the same footprint as the current 1155 units.

yes I agree the contact points are all the same, if you think about it, haswell is only missing 5 pins.

Back