will two 120's be enough?

MrDude010

Weaksauce
I want to cool my i7 920 cpu and an hd4890 with two Black Ice GTX 120mm rads. Will it work? I only want to moderately overclock my cpu, so my question is will those two rads in the loop be superior to air cooling everything?

no that won't be enough even if u use 3000rpm 120x38mm fans. anything less and definitely not enough w/o beating air cooling.

the i7's are hot and the 4890's are warm, i'd suggest an RX360... or two swiftech MCR320 stacks...

w/ 1200-1500rpm fans and you'd be very quiet

I don't have a i7 but a q6600 overclocked to 3.6 and a 4890. I have 2 mcr220, 1 magicool 120 and a mcr120. Full load temps on the highest core hits 62c and the vid card hits 52c at full load as well. Two 120's will not hack it for sure, maybe you might be able to get away with just cooling the card with those 120's.

I want to cool my i7 920 cpu and an hd4890 with two Black Ice GTX 120mm rads. Will it work? I only want to moderately overclock my cpu, so my question is will those two rads in the loop be superior to air cooling everything?

depends if you want to overclock your I7 or not .... If yes, the answer is "DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH" .... i7 chip (C0/C1 stepping) is really freaking hot. so be prepare ;)

depends if you want to overclock your I7 or not .... If yes, the answer is "DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH" .... i7 chip (C0/C1 stepping) is really freaking hot. so be prepare ;)

Um, D0 is just as hot...... i7 in general is super hot because of hyperthreading.

Contrary to what others say, I believe you can cool that loop with two Black Ice GTX single radiators. You will need to use higher CFM/RPM fans - most likely above 1800 RPM and even higher would be better.

As for the CPU, you would still have a bit of headroom for moderate Overclocking. But, will it be superior? Not sure - that depends on how loud you can take your fans. Air Cooling HSFs like the Noctua are very quiet and give decent performance. I wouldn't go to the trouble to water cool the CPU if these are all the rads you can fit.

For the 4890 ... a similar story, but you may be able to run it much quieter under water.

Just my 2 cents.

Back