Will Upgrading be a Nightmare?

BIGDADDY51

2[H]4U
As I was sitting here thinking about upgrades, I started thinking about MY copy of XP PRO with all the apps and device drivers that are on it. I can't help but wonder, isn't incompable apps going to make trying to upgrade a nightmare? Myself, I'll choose to do a fresh full install, because I use apps such as Nortons Systemworks and System Mechanics , etc and I already KNOW they don't play nice with Vista,, along with Some of my photo software. 2 of my games that aren't even any big deal, make Vista take a dump. I'm thinking the best way is to try any apps I'm considering usig, EXCEPT the above mentioned in the RC2. If it plays nice there, it would seem good to go in an upgrade. What do you think?

Makes sense, but you realize that there will probably be upgrades very soon for the software that doesn't work. You just have to decide what you can and cannot live without. And unfortunately the upgrades to the software will probably cost you also.

I would think upgrading the day Vista comes out will probably be a nightmare from the application support standpoint. If you are not forced to use Vista it might be wise to wait till the "newness" wears off.

one good thing, is that I have a few pcs here, and since I registered my copy of Vista,, I will have untl June 2007 to use Vista. I was also eligible to sign up for Vista updates. I kept my copy of XP totally seperate, on a seperate drive,, so as not to run into all the problems that some people had trying a dual boot approach.

This is why I am amazed at the amount of people who wiped out their legitimate copies of XP and loaded a Vista beta on their main systems. The point of a test period is to "emulate" a production environment....not replace it. For a home user, that means using a second computer, and trying your apps and games on it for compatibility, as in your case.

Vista probably will have some problems at first. The 3rd party companies always lag behind. I would really question a decision to install Vista right away on a production machine. As KevinO said, there will be some things to iron out. I doubt it will be anymore of a hassle than 2000 or XP were right away though. The key is to do your research before hand. Find out what is known to work and what isn't, then make a decision.

djnes said:
This is why I am amazed at the amount of people who wiped out their legitimate copies of XP and loaded a Vista beta on their main systems. The point of a test period is to "emulate" a production environment....not replace it. For a home user, that means using a second computer, and trying your apps and games on it for compatibility, as in your case.

Vista probably will have some problems at first. The 3rd party companies always lag behind. I would really question a decision to install Vista right away on a production machine. As KevinO said, there will be some things to iron out. I doubt it will be anymore of a hassle than 2000 or XP were right away though. The key is to do your research before hand. Find out what is known to work and what isn't, then make a decision.
I see that MS has FINALLY granted access to Symantec, and other utility apps co., so that they can make thier software work.

Back