Will we expect SSD prices to decline steeply

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy 15 J001 HDD with a 512GB SSD. But after windows 8.1 release. Will there be a steep decline in SSD price without compromize in the quality, so that the price of 512GB SSDs are close to what the price of 256GB SSDs are holding?

A "steep decline"?
We were asking this 6 years ago. There hasn't been any steep decline yet. It's been a pretty slow, gradual drop. I expect a fairly linear, slow decline, much like any other tech.
Even if they're dirt cheap to produce, the manufacturers still want to cash in.

That said, they're a heck of a lot cheaper than they were even 3-4 years ago, but we're not there yet.

I want 2-3TB SSDs for my home NAS for $200 apiece. Gonna be awhile.

It's been slow? 5 years ago an 80 GB drive was $600+, today you get a top of the line 250 GB drive for around $175..

How is that slow? Show me a single piece of tech that has become so mainstream and cheap without compromising performance or reliability in such a short timeframe, please.

The really weird, fantastic and unbelievable thing about this insane reduction in price in such a short timeframe is that it seems like it'll continue for a few years at least.

How long do you reckon?

I expect never with flash based SSDs. Although 3D stacking may change that or the technology could be totally replaced by ReRAM or some other technology.

$600? No they weren't. I started early on the SSD bandwagon with the OCZ Cores, Vertex1s/Turbos G.Skill Titans etc. They weren't anywhere near $600.

And top of the line drives are still in the $230-$240 range today, ala 840 Pro. If you're referring to the Evo, I would not consider that drive the top of the line (TLC NAND).

It has been a slow progression, as I stated.

Enterprise has been pretty slow as well. I'm a storage admin/architect and finally, within the past 6-12 months, all flash arrays are getting affordable enough to be considered, depending on the workload.

It's been slow? 5 years ago an 80 GB drive was $600+, today you get a top of the line 250 GB drive for around $175..

How is that slow? Show me a single piece of tech that has become so mainstream and cheap without compromising performance or reliability in such a short timeframe, please.

The really weird, fantastic and unbelievable thing about this insane reduction in price in such a short timeframe is that it seems like it'll continue for a few years at least.

So by the time Windows 8.1 is released, will we expect the price of 512GB HDDs to go down and reach the price range of current 256GB SSDs? Because windows 8.1 will push more people to move into SSDs

Dude - 8.1 is like a few weeks away. That isn't going to magically cut all flash prices in half.

The two have nothing to do with each other.

What does 8.1 have to do with SSD adoption. SSD tech is the only one capable of this rapid drop in price do to the nature of flash.

With the recent fire at Hynix, I think you can forget about any price drops for a long while.

Another fire in a memory plant....yeeeeeeah that wasn't planned at all in order to skyrocket prices while depleting the surplus of product stashed in the warehouses. Just like all the memory plant fires in the past.

/conspiracy theory

Anyway, I doubt SSD prices will steeply decline anytime soon. They did around this time last year, but then shot up 30-70% seemingly overnight right before Black Friday. You could still get a deal on a 240-256GB quality model for around $150-175 (regular price before the huge price hike), but only with coupon codes/special sales.

Here's a prime example (iirc all the details):
This SSD was bouncing around $150-170 and free shipping last year. Then about a week before Black Friday, the price shot up around $190-210 with $5 shipping. On Black Friday, I got an email coupon code to make it $150 shipped. As you can see, the prices haven't declined from the $190-210 mark since.

$600? No they weren't. I started early on the SSD bandwagon with the OCZ Cores, Vertex1s/Turbos G.Skill Titans etc. They weren't anywhere near $600.

The original MSRP of the 80 gig X25-M was $595, almost exactly 5 years ago
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/08/intels-x25-m-80gb-ssd-ships-this-week-for-595/

Prices fell off a cliff last year but they're in a much slower decline now. If you wait a month or so the M500 and EVOs might drop a bit since they're so new, but a 500GB drive for under $200 is a ways off unless OCZ has a firesale or something.

I think I paid like $400 for my x-25M, It's been moved to my HTPC but still in use to this day. No regrets either as it was worth it, especially back in the day when not many people had them :)

Yeah, I cannot remember anybody paying $600 for an 80GB X-25M - we had tons of 'em at work and I had a few at home. No where near $600.

Back