Will WoW be subscription-based?

I haven't really been keeping up with the development of this game. Will the final product require a monthly fee like other MMORPGs out there?? If so, do you know how much it will cost??

Yes it will.
They haven't announced the price yet.

I'd say it'll be probally 12.95-14.99

Yes, there wil be a monthly fee.

Like Stiler said, there is no official price, but it probably won't be far from standard for the genre.

and, oh baby, is it going to be worth it.

i'm in second wave of beta and ooh! ohh! ohh!

FFXI is the only MMORPG i've delved into and WoW blows it out of the water.

FFXI had the "massive" part down... but it just seemed kinda "meh"... big empty plains, joining up with big empty deserts... not very lush or interesting to look at.

WoW is full of doodads, everywhere you go it's just beautiful.

i actually stepped underwater for the first time yesterday just out curiosity, and almost crapped my pants.

wow_underwater.jpg

screenshots don't do it justice... i mean, if THIS is below the waterline....

it's lovely.

and the undead can breathe underwater... imagine marching an unseen army of undead up to an enemy base by cover of water, and then just "lurching" up onto the beach out of the blue... ooh!

I've never been a fan of MMORPGs, WoW looks great ..... but, $10+ a month to play a game ? ... I guess I'll just have to wait and see how others react once it comes out.

Blizzard has a good record, they've never dissapointed me with there games, I don't expect to let me down now. And there will be a supscription, expect some between 10-15 dollars a month.

Originally posted by theNoid
I've never been a fan of MMORPGs, WoW looks great ..... but, $10+ a month to play a game ? ... I guess I'll just have to wait and see how others react once it comes out.

Well that money is about one of the only tried and true ways to run an MMORPG, since it takes massive bandwidth/servers aswell as needing $$$ for the dev's and people that continue to add things to it.

However i feel with you when i say that they are getting too high imo, i mean a lot of people that started mmorpgs when they first came out were kids/teenagers who didn't have jobs/college and had plenty of time to sink into them, and 5$ can make it or break it to a lot of kids parents "mom i want this, it's xx a month".

9.95 worked fine for me, i wish they'd keep more mmorpgs at just a flat 10$ a month.

Originally posted by bjork

wow_underwater.jpg

it's lovely.

and the undead can breathe underwater... imagine marching an unseen army of undead up to an enemy base by cover of water, and then just "lurching" up onto the beach out of the blue... ooh!

hehe, reminds me of Myth , where you could walk the Thrall/wights underwater and wait for somebody to come buy and ambush them.

Well $10-15 doesn't sound like a lot, but add the fact you want to play it for oooo lets say 2 years. So on average $13 monthly for 24 months = $312. Thats a lot of cash for a damn video game. True, lots of people already play MMORPGs and don't have a problem with the cash, but ... Blizzards has a HUGE fanbase, and they could release a game called Thralls Pile of Poop and people would buy it. So, by making a MMORPG Blizzard would be genius to draw its fanbase into a monthly agreement eh ? ... Or perhaps they seem to somewhat push/force their fanbase into signing up for service on a gametype they've never played and in turn lose respect ?

Ultimately sales will prove it either way. I'm excited for WoW (not a MMORPG guy), because its Blizzards next release, and it looks great. But being a Blizzard release, and a Blizzard fan, you kinda feel responsible to sign up, kinda makes me wanna puke also.

I'm right down the middle, just expressing some points. NOBODY here can deny the fact that WoW will be huge, mainly because it has Blizzards stamp on it.

gg

i think the monthly payment is a good way to keep young immature kids out of the game.

Originally posted by UnfaTeFuL
i think the monthly payment is a good way to keep young immature kids out of the game.

I wish.

And as far as the monthly fee goes, I look at it this way:

MMORPG:
$50 + 24x$13 + $50 (expansion) = $412

Regular:
$50 x 12 (1 game every other month for 2 years) = $600

That, I completely agree with. Paying for online gaming I think (in time) will be the norm.

Originally posted by bjork
and, oh baby, is it going to be worth it.

i'm in second wave of beta and ooh! ohh! ohh!

FFXI is the only MMORPG i've delved into and WoW blows it out of the water.

FFXI had the "massive" part down... but it just seemed kinda "meh"... big empty plains, joining up with big empty deserts... not very lush or interesting to look at.

WoW is full of doodads, everywhere you go it's just beautiful.

i actually stepped underwater for the first time yesterday just out curiosity, and almost crapped my pants.

wow_underwater.jpg

it's lovely.

some woudl say you broke the nda, but to be honest, you just guaranteed Blizzard another subscription. That is awesome.;)

Originally posted by conscript
some woudl say you broke the nda, but to be honest, you just guaranteed Blizzard another subscription. That is awesome.;)

Yeah, if the NDA hadn't been lifted weeks ago... :rolleyes:

I look at the monthly fee like playing paintball...

I honestly don't think I would have all of the money I have spent on paintball if it wasn't worth paying for. I would have never needed to make the extra money so I wouldn't have it anyway. If WoW is good enough I will have no regrets spending money to play it.

Well $10-15 doesn't sound like a lot, but add the fact you want to play it for oooo lets say 2 years. So on average $13 monthly for 24 months = $312. Thats a lot of cash for a damn video game. True, lots of people already play MMORPGs and don't have a problem with the cash, but ... Blizzards has a HUGE fanbase, and they could release a game called Thralls Pile of Poop and people would buy it. So, by making a MMORPG Blizzard would be genius to draw its fanbase into a monthly agreement eh ? ... Or perhaps they seem to somewhat push/force their fanbase into signing up for service on a gametype they've never played and in turn lose respect ?

Yea but think of it this way, how many games give you roughly 520 hours of gameplay (that's assuming you average 5 hours a week for 2 years, which for a MMORPG is quite optimistic.) Let's say the average $40 game gives you 15 hours of gameplay. So in order to get roughly equal hours of gameplay you'd end up buying 35 games for a total of $1400.

Originally posted by EarthwormJim
Yea but think of it this way, how many games give you roughly 520 hours of gameplay (that's assuming you average 5 hours a week for 2 years, which for a MMORPG is quite optimistic.) Let's say the average $40 game gives you 15 hours of gameplay. So in order to get roughly equal hours of gameplay you'd end up buying 35 games for a total of $1400.

for 40 bucks, starcraft gave me roughly 1200 hours of gameplay.

for 40 bucks, starcraft gave me roughly 1200 hours of gameplay.

:rolleyes:

Obviously very easy to entertain - Starcraft gave me about 1 hour of entertainment.

In any case, you are in the small minority, and, frankly, are not Blizzard's target audience here.

Blizzard's target audience IS the people who pay $50 for a game and get...tops....a few dozen hours out of it. Even KotOR (a good example of a VERY successful recent game) only had 60 or so hours of gameplay (assuming you play it all the way through light side and dark side).

For those people (most gamers), the economics of a MMORPG make sense. Sure, monthly fees aren't cheap. But, then, after a year alone, they've worked out to be MUCH cheaper than buying another $50 every 2 months.

It's well and good you feel such dedication to a single game with no developer-added content or dynamic community. That's EXTREMELY unusual, and game developers certainly don't count on it.

Indeed, that's why MMORPGs always - ALWAYS - have one or more addons in development. New features added on a weekly bases. The story-based ones have a plot developing from week to week, persistent world changes, etc.

Because....as in the real world....very, VERY few people are satisfied with the same thing for years on end.

...have you played any mmorpgs? kids are one of the BIGGEST age groups that play mmorpgs, money does not, and will NEVER keep "kids" out of a game, period.

Originally posted by ShockValue
I wish.

And as far as the monthly fee goes, I look at it this way:

MMORPG:
$50 + 24x$13 + $50 (expansion) = $412

Regular:
$50 x 12 (1 game every other month for 2 years) = $600

I don't know about you, but when playing a mmorpg, i STILL get other games.....that goes for about anyone else i know that plays a mmorpg aswell, so that point is moot for a lot of people.

That, I completely agree with. Paying for online gaming I think (in time) will be the norm.

only if it's a mmorpg i think. I know i would NEVER pay to simply "play" a game with my friend hosting it on his server.

Why would WoW be any different from every other major MMORPG? These games have had monthly fees since day one. The Realm, Meridian 59, etc, etc, all had fees. UO, EQ, AC..all the same thing. Support for a MMORPG requires a lot more than just maintaining servers, and the players expect to get that out of the game. Yeah, it might end up costing a lot of money after a few years, but how many games do you still play after so many years? True, you might buy other games, but if you spend x hours playing WoW, that's still x hours that you don't need to fill by buying another game. Think of all the bullshit that you spend $10 a month on. Buy lunch at McDonalds once or twice? Paid for. Go to the movies? Paid for. etc etc etc.. It's just a matter of priorities.

Originally posted by dderidex
:rolleyes:

Obviously very easy to entertain - Starcraft gave me about 1 hour of entertainment.

In any case, you are in the small minority, and, frankly, are not Blizzard's target audience here.

Blizzard's target audience IS the people who pay $50 for a game and get...tops....a few dozen hours out of it.

..So that's why blizzard has been so big with people playing Starcraft/diablo/warcraft for YEARS?
.....yea. I think your in the minority when it comes to games like those, as many people get wayyyyy more than 12 hours out of them.

The other thing peopel don't generally factor in with the monthly fee and MMORPG'S (ESPECIALLY WoW) is that you probably aren't going to be buying as many other games (at least I won't be) if you are playing WoW. For insance, buy a new game probably once a month averaged out. However with WoW beng so ENORMOUS to start out with, plus being updated constantly (which I have faith Blizzard will actually do unlike some other companies), there will be no need for me to buy another game. It's the equivalent to buying a new game every three or four months.

That's just how I look at it though.

Usually a new game for me costs $50 and lasts like 3 days :rolleyes:

Edit: well shit someone posted pretty much everything I have to say already :p How unoriginal am I?

Originally posted by Stiler
..So that's why blizzard has been so big with people playing Starcraft/diablo/warcraft for YEARS?

Really?

How is Blizzard 'big with people playing....for years'?!?

How does Blizzard benefit from you buying a game from them YEARS ago, then never buying anything from them ever again?

How does that help their business model?

Originally posted by dderidex
Really?

How is Blizzard 'big with people playing....for years'?!?

How does Blizzard benefit from you buying a game from them YEARS ago, then never buying anything from them ever again?

How does that help their business model?

......did i say NEVER buying from them again? no.

Those people that play games online for a longgg time are the SAMe people that buy every game blizzard pumps out, that is why blizzard takes care of them, that is why they keep b.net up and running so well.

Originally posted by NIGHTMARE2
yeah, if there had ever been an nda to begin with... :rolleyes:

If you were in alpha, there was certainly an NDA. You weren't even supposed to tell your friends you were in alpha.. The NDA was lifted with Beta phase 1. We just started Beta phase 2 last week.

Alpha is also known as friends and family, which isn't beta.

WoW will suck and if you are too cheap to pay a monthly fee you can go fuck yourself.

This thread shouldn't exist because it was a retarded question.

sigh seriously why do other ppl have to go around crapping on someone else's thread.... sheesh -_-...

Back on track. Bottom line: Monthly fees are worth only what you put back into the game. Me personally, I don't have the time to plug hundred of hours into one game to make it worthwhile. For others, that $10 a month translates into over a hundred hours. It all boils down to how much time do you want to spend on a game and what is that worth to you.

Back