will you be getting Ivy Bridge?

Upgrade to IB?

• Total voters
I kinda want to upgrade, but have no good reason to do so.. Basically I want to mess with a new hardware, new OC, even though the performance is negligible.. I could pick up the IB at MC in 20min.. What's your call guys?

Is there any reason to go more than a 3570k for gaming? Would I see any benefits from a 3770k?

Is there any reason to go more than a 3570k for gaming? Would I see any benefits from a 3770k?
I don't think there is, which is why I'm about to order a 3570K from Microcenter.

I might even order a CPU/motherboard combo, if they have something nice at a better price than Newegg. I used to order almost everything from Newegg because they had the best prices, but that's not always the case today.

No. No.

I may slip in a 3570K just to take advantage of the Z77 features, but I rather upgrade to IB-E.
I've had quad CPUs for a while now, so it's time to go with six cores on my next build.

Last edited:
My i5-760 (3.7ghz) is a bottleneck for my 7970 so I will be getting a 3770k. (I play games low detail @ 120hz. And I also just want new toys lol)

Already have an MSI Z77A-GD65 and samsung ram waiting.

That's interesting, can an older cpu, make a newer more advanced video card bottleneck and run warmer in games or even when streaming video?

I still have a i7 970, anyone think it's worth the trouble of upgrading? I'm sure Intel will offer one for a Summer or Holiday deal so I can do it pretty cheap but why bother with the expense or hassle of a new build unless the payoff is there.

I ordered the 3570k and P8Z77 pro for $397 shipped overnight w/ tax. I don't think I've ever seen microcenter actually have shipping on their deals before ! I live 2 hours south of the Chicago store, so quite happy to see that.
And you won't. It is quite cleverly hidden, but apparently the $190 3570K is in-store only. I didn't find out until I tried to check out and there were no shipping options. Screw me for not living in one of the few places with a Microcenter store, I guess. A 900-mile road trip is not going to happen.

I still have a i7 970, anyone think it's worth the trouble of upgrading? I'm sure Intel will offer one for a Summer or Holiday deal so I can do it pretty cheap but why bother with the expense or hassle of a new build unless the payoff is there.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade if I were you. I'm not even sure that would be considered an upgrade for some applications.

I voted no, mainly because I have no real need for an upgrade. I lucked out and got a 2500k that goes to 5ghz with low volts, I mostly game on this rig so no need for an upgrade.

- But those coupon deals make it pretty tempting to purchase.

I just ordered a 2500k for $199.

I voted "No" ... but ...

I'll resell and move up to IB if they release something in future that curbs the heat issue and only if I decide I actually need PCI 3.0 (I'm on Z77) and suddenly decide I want HT, as I likely wouldn't bother moving to an IB i5 but I'd consider an i7.

Last edited:
I already responded to this thread for my office/gaming PC, which the answer is no, I'll be keeping my 2600K, however I would totally upgrade my core i3-2100s to Ivy bridge in my HTPCs if they make a comparable 2 core model for relatively cheap... I would actually be able to take advantage of the better on die graphics there... minecraft runs fairly sluggish w/ HD 3000, and I would benefit from the HD 4000. I hope those low end Ivys come out soon.

Here's hoping I can get one in June. At least in the meantime I can start checking out which MOBO I want to get for it.

might if the next revision that takes care of the heat issue at high clock speed.

Well my 3570K is on it's way, pairing it with an Asus P8Z77-V Pro. Going to put a Kuhler 920 on it and see how it goes @5ghz if it will reach that.

Going to try my i5 3570k out on a Gigabyte UD5H combo from MC tomorrow. Waiting on a ssd from the egg for the boot drive. MC would not match the pricing of the egg on crucial m4's.

Last edited:
Upgrading from a Athlon X2 4800+ (yeah it's old) to an i7-3770 Ivy Bridge @ 3.4GHz. Chose the ASUS P8Z77-V to go with it.

Yes.

Will probably be experimenting with low-power BOINC builds, or something.

Getting an i7 3760 in a p150em laptop for the reduced power consumption and better integrated graphics, but sticking with my i7 2600k in my desktop. there is no conceivable point for me upgrading considering I primarily game and my 2600 is OC'd to 4.6ghz all day. Only reason I'm getting IB in a laptop really is I sold both my m18x and p180hm because I wanted to move to something smaller and didn't want to go through the hassle of upgrading laptops to a 7970m myself.

I am upgrading to Ivy Bridge once I get some upgrade money. Already have my case and SSD, have to buy everything else. Upgrading from what's in my sig and giving the kids what I have now, should be a big improvement on what they have now. :D

I have ivy bridge coming in the mail this week. couldnt pass on the deal of 195 shipped from micro. Ended up ordering the msi z77-65 from newegg. upgrading from a i5 750 @3.72ghz. Only reason I'm really upgrading is for sata 3 and crossfire.

yes, I'm on a q9550 @ 3.4 right now so I'm gonna do IB.

I don't need to go crazy with an OC. 4.2 - 4.4 at stock volts is all I'm looking for.

Going from an i5 2405S to an i7 3770T. Not a significant upgrade by any means, but it Turbos higher than the 2405S, with a better GPU, and with a TDP 20W lower than the 2405S. I also get a bit more L3, Hyperthreading and TET. Not a terrible upgrade in my opinion.

Just placed an order for a 3770k and Asus z77 WS with 16GB Crucial Elite 1866mhz. I pray to god that I don't get a dud chip.

Back