Votes: 61 12.3%
  • Yes - upgrading from something much older

Votes: 199 40.2%
  • No - Everything I have at the moment is good

Votes: 223 45.1%
  • No - I like AMD and it's good for the moment

Votes: 12 2.4%

• Total voters
I got a 5-year old laptop that is being held together with super-glue (literally). It's time to upgrade to a big-boy desktop....

Does it even make sense to upgrade from the 1366 i7's?

For most people, no, especially overclocked. My 920 is still good for everything I do, including some intense gaming (BF3 with a 6990 in Eyefinity) and some Comsol modeling (heavily CPU dependent).

For most people, no, especially overclocked. My 920 is still good for everything I do, including some intense gaming (BF3 with a 6990 in Eyefinity) and some Comsol modeling (heavily CPU dependent).

Gotcha. I wasn't planning to upgrade my 930 because I've had absolutely zero problems with performance with it.

I think most folks wont be upgrading, unless they either can afford to buy every new toy that arrives on market ( unlimited funds ) or have old stuff thats due for upgrade anyways ( over 2-3 years old ).

Most current stuff to build a new system, will cost after all said and done 600 bucks and up, variable on parts quality choices made. Most folks usually dont spend on new toyes inside of 6 month-1 year time frames unless they are one of the above reasons. Average folks today, want a PC that will last a few years, most folks have upgraded in the last couple by now. So alot f new upgrades over next year or 2 will be slower then the last 2. Most are going to the other toys - phones/tablets and such beyond the desktop going forward.

LOL hear you brother! I am getting married in december, and I am trying to get one good last system upgrade that will last me possibly several years. ..... The only reason I got the green light for IB is because I told her it will lower our electric bills :D

I'd run far away. You aren't married, it's your money. If spending a grand every couple years on one of your few/favourite hobbies requires getting permission now, then you're in for a miserable marriage. I could see her point if you were doing it every few months, but not with what you described.

I'm waiting for ivy bridge but these microcenter deals are really tempting me... how long do you think it'll be until microcenter has a good deal on ivybridge like they do with sandy?

$180 for a 2500k + $50 off a mobo.

I think most folks wont be upgrading, unless they either can afford to buy every new toy that arrives on market ( unlimited funds ) or have old stuff thats due for upgrade anyways ( over 2-3 years old ).

Most current stuff to build a new system, will cost after all said and done 600 bucks and up, variable on parts quality choices made. Most folks usually dont spend on new toyes inside of 6 month-1 year time frames unless they are one of the above reasons. Average folks today, want a PC that will last a few years, most folks have upgraded in the last couple by now. So alot f new upgrades over next year or 2 will be slower then the last 2. Most are going to the other toys - phones/tablets and such beyond the desktop going forward.

If you have IB ready mobo the cost of upgrade woould be like 50-60 euro/$

i passed down my 930 which i use everyday in my office for my 2600k , if there was a difference , it was less than 10 percent. I'm on break now from upgrading unless i see a 30 percent gap reached . . . most people will upgrade for ? 5 percent most to ivy which you weren't even using to begin with . . might even sell one of my asus 7970 , since it sits idle mostly :D

It's ashamed I bought a mobo ready for IB, but I don't see myself dumping much moolah anytime soon. Unless it's a dramatic upgrade then I'll consider it, but at the moment no :(.

I'm waiting for ivy bridge but these microcenter deals are really tempting me... how long do you think it'll be until microcenter has a good deal on ivybridge like they do with sandy?

$180 for a 2500k + $50 off a mobo.
The Ivy Bridge release day. Not necessarily as good as the current SB deal obviously, but still a "beats the pants off newegg" deal.

LOL hear you brother! I am getting married in december, and I am trying to get one good last system upgrade that will last me possibly several years. Since we got together I have only built one rig, and that is a Q9400/ 4gigs/ GTS250. Way underpowered for my needs, and I do plan on going Ivy Bridge. The only reason I got the green light for IB is because I told her it will lower our electric bills :D

Damn... she's got your balls in a glass case. :p

i passed down my 930 which i use everyday in my office for my 2600k , if there was a difference , it was less than 10 percent.
With all of the benchmarks available, including OC numbers, what did you expect? Wouldn't it indicate that your workload did not require 8 HT cores and that you probably could have gone with a 2500K instead?

Well personally I've just ordered a 3820 and Asus P9X79 to replace my i7 920 which is over 3 years old, the fact is I think my motherboard is playing up a bit and my i7 920 is some what problematic above 3.8Ghz. My plan is that should an IB-E appear later this year or the start of next year I'll just drop one of them in to replace the 3820, either way I should be able to push the 3820 higher than my 920 any way.

I'm getting it, because my PC is 4-5 years old now (mobo/RAM/case/PSU/soundcard = 5 years, CPU = 4 years, GPU = 11 months, SSD = 1 month).

You think she'll notice the $1.50/month savings on the electric bill? That's also assuming you keep the GTS250 in there.

Her? Ya. I won't care once it is on my desk though. The GTS250 has chugged along well but will be replaced with the latest and greatest video card.

I'd run far away. You aren't married, it's your money. If spending a grand every couple years on one of your few/favourite hobbies requires getting permission now, then you're in for a miserable marriage. I could see her point if you were doing it every few months, but not with what you described.

She just has her financial priorities straight and I have too many dang hobbies. Thats why I want a rig that is going to last me a long time.

So getting back on topic I have the predicament of going Ivy Bridge right now for socket 1155 or assume Ivy Bridge-E is going to be the socket 2011 platform and go Sandy Bridge-E right now and drop in an Ivy Bridge-E later. I think a lot of people are wondering the same thing right now, especially if they have older rigs like me. Also everyone is waiting patiently for samples to get to reviewers like the good people at HardOCP to see overclocking results. Based on what Kyle said one might be more inclined to go 2011 right now but dang those processors and motherboards are expensive!

And without AMD producing a processor that is a significant rival to comparable Intel processors, Intel can afford to keep prices high just like AMD is going to keep prices high on their next gen graphic cards until the next generation of nVidia cards hit the streets.

Damn... she's got your balls in a glass case. :p

Thats okay, I am pretty crafty and made a lava lamp out of my balls. Long story short, when it comes between gaming and vaginas, I am going to go with the vaginas everytime. You can call me anything you want but gay :D

Long story short, when it comes between gaming and vaginas, I am going to go with the vaginas everytime. You can call me anything you want but gay :D
Just wait until after you're hitched, when she won't let you game AND she won't let you anywhere near her vagina.

Just wait until after you're hitched, when she won't let you game AND she won't let you anywhere near her vagina.

Thats why God made fat girls, it's always good to have a couple of those on the side. Not only that, they will also show up to your work with a cheesesteak anytime you ask. :D

I would definitely want to upgrade from 920 CPUs as you don't have native INTEL SATA but hey that's just me. That's messing with my SSD performance there!

i see this as another lame upgrade for user's of sb . . . . but great for 775 user's easy .
Intel is getting as good as the gas company's for upgrades , they give you the same performance for a higher price :) im just saying

The upgrade only makes sense if you are a "business user" ie integrated graphics. Otherwise, the SB-line is holding up really, really well.

I missed out on the SB line. My 10-year old P4 boots in under 30 seconds on XP. My game rig is E6750 that takes 3-5 minutes to load in Win7.

I want a rig that is going to last me a long time.

So getting back on topic I have the predicament of going Ivy Bridge right now for socket 1155 or assume Ivy Bridge-E is going to be the socket 2011 platform and go Sandy Bridge-E right now and drop in an Ivy Bridge-E later.
It really depends on what you mean by a 'long time'? If you plan on waiting 3+ years then you're probably looking at whatever socket comes after 2011.

I say buy a IB+Z77 and pour the money you saved into other quality parts that will last you several years (solid PSU, premium case fans, Battery Backup if you don't own one).

Going from a similar core count SB-E to a IB-E within ~12 months will be a waste of money for most people.

Probably not until Haswell. My Xeon W3680 is still working very well. Would like some new board features on X79 but I really don't need it (and the release was fairly underwhelming). A new GPU is in order 1st off.

The 3930k is awesome. I upgraded from i7-2600k to 3930k and I enjoy the over build better. Ditched my HAF X Case for a white corsair 600T case... looks sexier. I'm getting IB to replace my AMD FX 4100 to put in my media rig. I sold my AMD FX 8120 system and i7-940 system also to fund my upcoming IB system.

I want to get IB just because I have upgrade itch. However, I don't know that it'll be a big improvement over my i5 750 @ 4ghz.

Everything I play, plays great already.

The 3930k is awesome. I upgraded from i7-2600k to 3930k and I enjoy the over build better.
Have you noticed any extra heat/noise by going from the 2600k to a 3930k? The perhaps unfounded fear of putting up with Pentium IV levels of noise and heat are what's keeping me from considering a hex core SB-E.

Ivy Bridge dosen't seem like enough of an upgrade over Sandy Bridge to make it worth it. I was waiting for Bulldozer and IB last fall, but once it was certain that Bulldozer was a flop (and sucked power like crazy when you overclocked it!)...and that Intel was going to take the opportunity to delay IB because of it, I upgraded from a Q9550 to a 2500k system and it's been absolutely awesome.

The crazy thing is that I was able to upgrade from a GA-EP45-UD3P/Q9550/8GB DDR2 system to an Asus P8P67 EVO/2500k/16GB DDR3 system for essentially _nothing_. I was amazed at how well the old hardware had kept it's value...one nice thing about Intel constantly changing sockets and stopping production of older hardware I suppose.

I am upping my system from a many years old Profile 5 Desktop to an i5-2500k rig, so I will see a BIG difference in performance. :)

Have you noticed any extra heat/noise by going from the 2600k to a 3930k? The perhaps unfounded fear of putting up with Pentium IV levels of noise and heat are what's keeping me from considering a hex core SB-E.

I'm getting 55-60 degrees most of the time at 3.2v. My temps would be lower if I didn't live in Florida though. The noctua NH-D14 is a really quiet cpu cooler so it's actually quietter than my H100 cooler.

It really depends on what you mean by a 'long time'? If you plan on waiting 3+ years then you're probably looking at whatever socket comes after 2011.

I say buy a IB+Z77 and pour the money you saved into other quality parts that will last you several years (solid PSU, premium case fans, Battery Backup if you don't own one).

Going from a similar core count SB-E to a IB-E within ~12 months will be a waste of money for most people.

I think that is solid advice. There always seems to be something better right around the corner, thats both a blessing and curse in this hobby!

1-3.jpg

I'll be upgrading my e6750 to a 3770K for sure. It's served me well for 4.5 years but it's time to upgrade. The best part is I'm able to get some good deals on components as I wait for ivy to come out.

Got a great deal on a Seasonic X850 last week, hoping to grab an Intel 520 240GB on sale now that they're dropping the price on them.

I'll be replacing my Q6600. I nearly pulled the trigger with Sandy Bridge, but decided to wait a year because of the motherboard SATA controller fiasco.

I'm going mATX this time around, with the intention of having it go to my HTPC next year if Haswell is a big step forward, as the integrated video is fairly decent, and I want a less bulky case. If Haswell is only a small step forward, I'll look into Trinity/whatever comes after Trinity for the HTPC, since that will certainly have better integrated video.

My new mATX case and 16GB ram are ready to go, as soon as I have a motherboard and CPU for them :)

Back