Win 7 permissions problem

Jaa-Yoo

Limp Gawd
Hey folks,
Lately ive been having a problem with windows 7 asking for permissions to do lots of changes. I also cant edit any of my old files and i cant save anything new to some of my libraries. I think it started a couple weeks ago after setting up my xbox as a media center extender... i think.
Anyway, i checked the permissions on some files and folders and i see my user-name along with administrator having full control and users having only read & execute. I added full control of one of the files to users and im able to modify it now. Whats going on here? Why dont i have free reign even though im part of the admin group? :confused:

Thanks

I had something similar happen not too long ago. I could never figure out how or why, and couldn't get it fixed. Do you have any back-ups, or even a system restore point?

One more thing, have you checked to see if your folders and files have been marked to "read only"?

I dont have a backup and my latest restore point is... yesterday! lol
I just now fixed the problem by removing and then re-adding the "My Documents" folder back into the "Documents" library.
Under "Libraries", right-click the library you want and go to properties.
Remove the "My Documents" folder and click Apply.
Click "Include a folder" and navigate to your My Documents folder to add it. (normally in C:\users\username)
Click Apply and then OK.
Do this for each of your affected libraries.
I only had this problem with my documents and music libraries. Doing this fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Back