Win 8.1 x64 random audio crash

[27]

n00b
Long story short, my audio keeps crashing while in full screen applications. I can't isolate what is causing it.
OS Windows 8x64 and Win 8.1 x64
Mobo: Asus p9x79ws
Sound cards tried:
  • onboard AC97
  • X-Fi Titanium
  • X-Fi Titanium HD
  • X-Fi Recon 3D

Checking the event viewer isnt highlighting anything out of the ordinary.

I have so far tried:
  • Disabling onboard audio in UEFI
  • Disabling 1394 in UEFI
  • Moving sound cards to different slots
  • turning off Link Power State Management
  • Disabling AMD HD Audio in Device Manager
  • 3rd party drivers (ala PAX)
  • USB headset (this, for some reason, doesn't seem to crash, it only seems to be onboard and PCIe sound cards)
  • Clean installs of the OS

Thoughts on what I can do to fix/ what I can use to monitor to further troubleshoot?

You've done everything I can think of to do. Do you have speakers hooked up when this happens? Try swapping those out.

Does this happen on any full-screen application? Or is it specific to a certain application/type of application (Videos, video games, etc.)? Also, could we get the rest of your system specs? Also when you say "Crash" does it make any unusual sounds, or just cut out completely?

The only thing I really use that is full screen on this system are games, but it isn't limited to any one game. The crash is a complete loss of audio. Checking the device in device manager still shows that the device is working normally.

Titanium HD setup: of EMU-PM5 monitors out of the RCA jacks as well as with a set of Astro A40s out of the headphone jack.

Recon3d, Titanium, AC97 setup: Roccat Kave headphones via the 5.1 headphone jacks, as well as a set of the Astro A40s.

USB Audio test: Astro A50

I should also call out that I even tried this without installing drivers, i.e. using the default windows drivers and the issue still reared its head.

System:
i7 3930K
Asus p9x79WS
16GB Visiontek 2133 RAM
Visiontek PCIe SSD 250GB
Various other SATA SSD
Visiontek 7970

Just an update, to see if anyone else has ideas.

I swapped out the 1500VA UPS and placed a new one on the system, This time only hooking the PC up to the UPS, no monitors. This didnt do anything.

I also turned off USB selective suspend as I read on another forum that this might help with the audio issues.

I also took the external powered USB 3 hub off the system.

I'm curious, is there a way to monitor power draw by pcie slot?

Well I've heard of similar issues to this that actually resulted in being the video card. I am not exactly sure how or why it happens, but if you have a substitute card laying around give it a try and see if it solves the problem.

Yes, multiple cards have been tried at this point, in multiple slots.

I am now thinking it has something to do with the motherboard. I re-flashed the UEFI (odd that Asus refers to it as such as the UEFI BIOS, as I always thought it was one or the other) and it seemed to fix the issue for a couple of days. Then something odd started happening.... I can't get to the UEFI, and the splash screen (where it shows the asus logo) disappeared. Tapping the delete or f2 keys to get to UEFI results in the computer sitting at a black screen. Attempting to get to UEFI via Windows advanced recovery settings results in the same hang and the same black screen.

I am going to re-flash again and see if it reappears.

just flashed to the same version of the uefi, no dice. This issue is so strange. Im going to even go to win 7x64 and see if it fixes it. i like 8.1 too =(

[27];1041349740 said:
just flashed to the same version of the uefi, no dice. This issue is so strange. Im going to even go to win 7x64 and see if it fixes it. i like 8.1 too =(

That sounds more like your motherboard has the issue. If you can't get into the BIOS changing Windows won't help.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I can get into the UEFI after flashing it, I havnt had an issue since I reflashed it. The problem that still remains is the audio issue.

So, for the update, Win7x64 did not solve the issue. I need to test this more, but I have really been testing with BF4 and Dragon Age, both Origin games. I need to test outside of Origin to see if maybe that is the issue.

Ran 24 hours of memtest, no errors, so memory is out of the question.

It also could be an issue with drivers. I would better go with Windows 7. It's more stable OS.

Back