Win2K3 RRAS to share VPN connection?

t-readyroc

Gawd
Long story short, there is no way for Vista 64 to play nice with our Cisco PIX. Soooo... I'm trying to setup my Win2K3 server to host a permanent VPN connection to work, then have all the clients on my home LAN route through my server when needed. My home server does AD/DNS/DHCP/file & print.

Here's what I've done so far:
  • configured RRAS with a demand dial interface for my work VPN
  • set it up as a LAN & demand-dial router
  • added a static route to RRAS with (I believe) the correct destination/network mask set to the VPN interface
  • correctly configured the VPN connection (successfully manually connected)
  • added the same static route to my DHCP server scope options using the classless static route option

Like I said, I've successfully connected the VPN interface on the server manually, but on neither the server nor the clients can I actually access my work network resources. I've released/renewed my client IP so that it shows the static route in the route table:

destination : netmask : gateway : interface : metric
worknetwork : worknetmask : homeserverIP : clientIP : 11

Also, in the same route table, the default gateway (my Linksys) goes to the same interface with a metric of 10.

When I trace-route to my work network from the client, it skips my home server entirely & goes straight to my Linksys. When I try to use work network resources on my server with the VPN demand-dial interface connected, nothing happens.

I know I have to be missing something simple here, but it's the first time I've tried this, & I've got limited experience. Any help would be appreciated.

Back