Win7 GPU F@H client; laggy video and flickering

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
Hi guys, as you may already know, I have been running Win7 for a few weeks now and have been generally happy with it aside from some initial minor issues. On this system I'm folding using the F@H GPU client (GTX275). PPD is normal.

What I find annoying is that when I try to play videos (flash, MPC (various formats)), it starts lagging with faster scenes, and switching to/from full-screen is slow. Earlier today I also had random rapid flickering of both screens (dual setup) while playing a video.

I was wondering whether any of you with a similar setup have encountered anything like this, and what you may have done about it.

I've never had any trouble with screen flickering that I can recall. I have no clue what would cause that or how to fix it.

The slow performance when watching movies and such I have a lot of experience with. It took me a while to finally get something setup that didn't do that and it took a lot of trial and error on my part. I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema for movie and video playback. Since there are bugs and such with the 64 bit version of the player, I use the 32 bit version. Along with that I install FFDshow Tryouts (32 bit version). Once that is installed I go to the options in MPC-HC and change the "Output" to "Old Renderer". Once that is done, I go to the "Internal Filters" part of the options and from the Transform Filters listing I uncheck just about any of the codecs I might be using through MPC-HC. Some of these include AC3, DTS, LPCM, MPEG Audio, FLAC, H264 (DXVA), H264 (FFmpeg), VC1 (DXVA), VC1 (FFmpeg), Xvid/MPEG-4, Divx and MS MPEG-4. Once that is done FFDshow Tryouts should take over the duties of processing those codecs instead of MPC-HC or the built in codecs in Windows.

What this essentially does is force the decoding to be done on the CPU instead of the video card. Resource management of the SMP client is much better than the GPU client so your videos should play smoothly again. In most cases you do not need to uncheck the audio codecs in MPC-HC. I did it because I prefer using the audio options in FFDshow Tryouts.

If you have never used FFDshow Tryouts before, be warned that in some cases it might try to use itself instead of the built in stuff in things like games. Usually, it will pop up a box asking if you want to use FFDshow Tryouts before the program starts. I always tell it no. In the options with FFDshow Tryouts there are two lists of programs to use FFDshow Tryouts with and not use it with. You can customize that as you see the need.

Most of my movies and stuff are h264 encoded with the original AC3 audio although I have some Divx/xviD stuff and those are DVD rips but it all works great. I also have some HD stuff using h264 and that works fine as well.

I'll try the 32-bit version of MPC-HC (using the x64 version ATM) and try those other settings you mentioned. Thanks :)

the built in filters on the 32bit MPC-HC run fine.. actually sitting here right now watching a movie running DXVA and F@H at the same time.. is though is the GTX 275 overclocked at all? because i had the flickering problem when i was running my GTX 260 @ 600/1512/1130 but if i dropped it to 600/1458/1130 the flickering would go away.. if the card is overclocked you might just be on the edge of stability with the gpu client and cuda app running at the same time.. you could also try running your drivers in single display performance mode.. the difference with this is that you will not be able to stretch video over both displays because the secondary monitor will be running in frame buffer and it will lag like hell..

Stretch movie over both displays? How could that be enjoyable?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Stretch movie over both displays? How could that be enjoyable?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

not exactly stretching across both displays completely.. but say you are manually stretching the video to fit to your screen and you accidentally go to far and it stretches to the second monitor.. the video will start lagging because your secondary monitor is running at a lower frame rate then the primary display..

Hi guys, as you may already know, I have been running Win7 for a few weeks now and have been generally happy with it aside from some initial minor issues. On this system I'm folding using the F@H GPU client (GTX275). PPD is normal.

What I find annoying is that when I try to play videos (flash, MPC (various formats)), it starts lagging with faster scenes, and switching to/from full-screen is slow. Earlier today I also had random rapid flickering of both screens (dual setup) while playing a video.

I was wondering whether any of you with a similar setup have encountered anything like this, and what you may have done about it.

I Fold on my GTX 260. I upgraded my drivers to 197.13 and when I was Folding my computer went wacky. Everything that I tried doing (internet, opening a program, switching windows, etc) had extreme lag. When I would stop Folding my pc ran fine again.

I decided to uninstall the 197.13 drivers and started using 196.21 drivers. Now when I Fold with the 196.21 drivers everything is fine again.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I use the 191.something (WHQL) drivers. My GTX275 isn't OCed either.

I use the 191.something (WHQL) drivers. My GTX275 isn't OCed either.

try the 196.21 or 196.34.. shader overclock within nvidia's control panel works in the .34 drivers but other then that they are the same.. i had lagging problems with the 191.07 drivers as well.. out of all the newest drivers the 196.xx ones are the best..

Alright, I installed the 196.21 WHQL drivers... let's see how this goes :)

Back