Win7 recognizing basic storage drive as "System" drive

cfetter79

Limp Gawd
Just did a fresh install of Win on a brand new SSD (old WD raptor died). Upon installation, and some moving of files, I went to use the built in imaging of a drive to back the installation up. When I go to do that, it recognizes another HD as a system drive (160gb drive only for music) and lumps that in with the backup. I even went so far as using Acronis to wipe the data from this (non-system) drive. There is absolutely nothing on this drive, and yet, when I go to it in the Disk Management Snap-in, there it is listed as a "system" drive and Windows still tries to back it up as part of the image.

Thoughts? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Just did a fresh install of Win on a brand new SSD (old WD raptor died). Upon installation, and some moving of files, I went to use the built in imaging of a drive to back the installation up. When I go to do that, it recognizes another HD as a system drive (160gb drive only for music) and lumps that in with the backup. I even went so far as using Acronis to wipe the data from this (non-system) drive. There is absolutely nothing on this drive, and yet, when I go to it in the Disk Management Snap-in, there it is listed as a "system" drive and Windows still tries to back it up as part of the image.

Thoughts? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, cfetter79,

Try going to Disk Management, select the SSD, right click and select "Mark partition as active."

BTW, did you have the 160 GB drive connected when you intalled Win7 on the SSD? If you did that is where the boot loader was installed and why it is shown as active. So making the SSD active will result in the system not booting until you fix the situation.

When installing Win7 it is best to disconnect all drive othre than the drive you are installing the OS on. You can test this by shutting down the system, disconnecting the 160GB drive and restarting the system. If it doesn't boot you know the boot loader is on the HDD.

In "Help" type "Mark partition as active" to get more information on this.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

The other drives were in there when I installed. After i wiped the 160 drive, I did have to run a repair on Windows startup to fix the boot loader issue.

The SSD is marked active in the disk management snap in.

Thank you for the reply. Any other ideas?

Run Bsdedit from a command prompt and see if the other drive is listed. Use the /? for options. You can remove the obsolete entries if needed.

Be Careful!

I spent time with bsdedit (and a few programs that allow "easier" changes) and finally resolved the issue by disconnecting all hard drives and then running the Win7 repair (3 times). That solved the issue.

Of course, now for some reason my LAN adapter isn't working... reinstalled drivers, etc. FML!

Thank you for the suggestions and help everyone.

Back