Win7 & X360 controller...

Hexen525

Limp Gawd
So I see Microsoft is making wired controllers for the PC now that are, in fact, normal X360 controllers repackaged. Same drivers seem to work for both packages. So my question, why does my wireless X360 controller with the Play & Charge cable still not work? It lists it as an "Xbox 360 controller via Play & Charge cable", but I can't use it in any games and there is no configuring it. I've tried it with normal alkaline batteries installed, no batteries installed and rechargeable batteries from my wife's camera...no luck.

Ideas?

x360-1.jpg

Edit: I should also say, this is on my laptop, not my desktop. I already have a crap-tacular Saitek controller connected to it.

Last edited:
Did you try disconnecting the Saitek controller? I thought most games only supported 1 controller on PC.

The "Play & Charge" kit is only for charging.

The data being transmitted from the controller is still being send wireless. NOT through the USB cable. Only power is coming through the cable, NO DATA.

You will still need the wireless receiver plugged into your computer/laptop to use the controller.

Microsoft made a poor choice in naming the "Play & Charge" kit, it confuses way too many people.

The "Play & Charge" kit is only for charging.

The data being transmitted from the controller is still being send wireless. NOT through the USB cable. Only power is coming through the cable, NO DATA.

You will still need the wireless receiver plugged into your computer/laptop to use the controller.

Microsoft made a poor choice in naming the "Play & Charge" kit, it confuses way too many people.

This.

It looks like this and they're a little expensive, but you can find them cheaper just need to shop around like on ebay or something:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanx all. I guess the name is a little miss leading :(. The price on those wireless receivers has dropped a lot. They were $80 when I got the controller (used from a buddy for $10). Down to $19 or so in that Amazon link.

I've never tried it in my desktop as I already have the Saitek installed. I was just going to use this as a controller for my lappy is all. If I can find those wireless receivers for less than $10, I will get 2 (one for desktop and one for lappy) and pitch this Saitek out the window.

Thanx again all :D

Back