Winamp? Anyone still rockin' it?

Foobar2k FTMFW

Unless someone invents a media player that makes me lunch and blows me im sticking with foobar.

for the longest time I've used Winamp. Tried others (foobar2k, WMP) but always come back to it as it is simple. On top of that I'm using a Winamp OpenAL plug-in for windows 7 and music sounds great (hardware accelerated, lol), can even use my X-RAM off my X-Fi now! w00t!

Using the newest like 5.57 but removed most of the bloat though installation.

for the longest time I've used Winamp. Tried others (foobar2k, WMP) but always come back to it as it is simple. On top of that I'm using a Winamp OpenAL plug-in for windows 7 and music sounds great (hardware accelerated, lol), can even use my X-RAM off my X-Fi now! w00t!

Using the newest like 5.57 but removed most of the bloat though installation.

Xram for music playback? Foobar + asio component with bitmatched playback on will sound far better then winamp with the Openal plugin.

I jumped off Wimamp to foobar2000 a bit more than a year and a half ago I think? I stopped using Winamp when it got too slow and bloated for my liking.

Still using Winamp myself. Was contemplating moving away because the library was difficult to backup (ratings especially) but once I figured it out I have that automated (the backup). Winamp can be trimmed down significantly to just what you need, it just so happens to come with everything you don't... kind of like Windows. So spend a little bit of time cleaning it up and it's still the best AUDIO player for large libraries. Remove video, remove obscure audio playback, remove visuals you don't use anymore, etc. and it comes in very light. With an SSD it's speed is faster than WMP, it's only downside is that if your data hdd is spun down, and you've paused winamp, left, returned, resumed playback, it will start playing the buffered song and not spin up the drive for the next track in your playlist. So you will notice that there is poor hdd buffer controls, especially when using shuffle. Other than that, it'll do everything. I especially like using it with my old sirrus satellite IR remote control and "Usb-UIRT".
Want to talk about bloat? Try using Windows Media Center on your 2nd display to play just music...

I use recently went back to Winamp but wish it was cheaper to purchase just for MP3 ripping ability.

Want to talk about bloat? Try using Windows Media Center on your 2nd display to play just music...

Well duh. It is Windows MEDIA Center. It is for all sorts of stuff. Lets see Winamp record TV, have a on screen guide, play local video, play music, play games, etc. Windows Media Center is for a HTPC...not playing music on your second monitor :rolleyes:

I use Foobar for general music listening whilst i'm working, browsing etc. But i use Winamp when i'm chilling with a few beers coz i love the visualisations. Should Foobar support winamps visualisations then Winamp is gone.

winamp i use in my car because it integrates with the front end software... and because milkdrop 2.0 is awesome

Winamp has been my sole audio player since 99 - 00. Dont have any need to replace it.

I use Zoom Player for all video though.

Winamp for music, VLC for video, MediaPortal for videos when I'm using the remote from across the room.

Abominable Zune software for syncing my 80GB 2G zune...

foobar2000 is great, the only thing I can't figure out how to do is to make the tab behavior more intuitive. If I have enough tabs open for multiple rows of tabs, I don't like how the rows will switch places on me so that the row the currently selected tab goes to the bottom... I just want them to stay in the place they're at regardless of which tab is selected.

Still using Winamp myself. Was contemplating moving away because the library was difficult to backup (ratings especially) but once I figured it out I have that automated (the backup). Winamp can be trimmed down significantly to just what you need, it just so happens to come with everything you don't... kind of like Windows. So spend a little bit of time cleaning it up and it's still the best AUDIO player for large libraries. Remove video, remove obscure audio playback, remove visuals you don't use anymore, etc. and it comes in very light. With an SSD it's speed is faster than WMP, it's only downside is that if your data hdd is spun down, and you've paused winamp, left, returned, resumed playback, it will start playing the buffered song and not spin up the drive for the next track in your playlist. So you will notice that there is poor hdd buffer controls, especially when using shuffle. Other than that, it'll do everything. I especially like using it with my old sirrus satellite IR remote control and "Usb-UIRT".

Can you spin down an internal HDD in windows? I doubt you can, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I used to use Winamp all the time a couple of a year or two ago. Currently just using MPC and WMP for basic playback.

Ever since it was mentioned here, I've been using Foobar...

It's great, except for one glaring WTF thing about it...

The info to let you know where you are at time-wise in the sound file is at the bottom-left of the window, but the slider to move to another position is at the top-right of the window...

WTF!?

Even after using it all this time now, I still find this ridiculously annoying...

Ever since it was mentioned here, I've been using Foobar...

It's great, except for one glaring WTF thing about it...

The info to let you know where you are at time-wise in the sound file is at the bottom-left of the window, but the slider to move to another position is at the top-right of the window...

WTF!?

Even after using it all this time now, I still find this ridiculously annoying...

foobar2000 is probably the most customizable application ever from a GUI perspective - if you're just using the stock layout, oh man have you got a lot to learn. ;)

It's not easy, of course, but you can do anything with the foobar2000 layout, seriously. It just takes some research and a few configuration files and wham, something totally new appears. The forum for all this info is over at HydrogenAudio.org at:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=28

and a thread with tons of screenshots of how other people set their foobar2000 installs up is at:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=63984

</not_meaning_to_threadjack_the_WinAMP_thread_sorry>

I still have WinAMP 2.91 around here someplace but, I just use foobar2000 myself nowadays, it works fine, does the job well and I stick with it primarily because I do a lot of transcoding and utility work on audio files. foobar2000 just excels at those functions because of the plugins I use.

But I do remember the days long past when WinAMP ruled - at least for me, that is. But it was dethroned long ago by foobar2000, again, for me.

foobar2000 is probably the most customizable application ever from a GUI perspective

I just spent another hour with it, and eventually figured out how to get a seekbar at the bottom... (I had to remove something to add it, then re-added what I removed... but anyway, it's there now...)

It's not easy, of course, but you can do anything with the foobar2000 layout, seriously.

But my major gripe still remains something that cannot be changed. Period.

Seriously.

Winamp here too, just too used to it from all these years of use to bother learning a new application. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Winamp V2.78 for my windows partition ,Been using it since it was released at the end of 2001. Haven't bothered to upgrade because it's lightweight simple and just plain works. Ran it on all my hardware, from a 75mhz pentium laptop to my quad core. You can still download it on the oldversion site. For linux I use Amarok 2 and videos I go with VLC

And with the advent of my new lappy it runs and sounds great:

Using a whopping 10.9mb of ram heh

I've been rocking winamp for years, can't imagine using anything else for my music.

Back