Windows 10 Update Notification of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have no idea who this person is but their picture just goes to show you that there is no escaping Windows 10 update notifications. A two story tall nag screen is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Domained computers don't prompt for windows 10 updates, one of the many pleasures that accompany Active Directory

Domained computers don't prompt for windows 10 updates, one of the many pleasures that accompany Active Directory
You can disable the notifications with group policy, but they are not just automatically disabled. Also, of course, Windows 7 Enterprise is not eligible for free win 10 upgrade, and so it will never prompt either.

I use a Windows 7 PC at work and get exactly one notification per week, and its just a small window down in the corner.

Why are they running a consumer oriented OS version to drive their display? Surely they should be using a managed Pro, Enterprise, or Embedded version, or a custom Linux build.

Why are they running a consumer oriented OS version to drive their display? Surely they should be using a managed Pro, Enterprise, or Embedded version, or a custom Linux build.
It's likely just a single system connected to the billboard via a video cable. There's no reason to have pro, enterprise or an embedded version of Windows.

Alot of companies use Windows in embedded applications because of the backend and API that is already there. You get low level system and device drivers that work and you get API's like .NET already installed. Plus a lot of programmers are familiar with a Windows environment. All that for couple hundred dollars. Sure beats hiring a developer to reinvent the wheel and make a custom OS or driver. I have seen many very expensive machines running on Windows 95, 2000, NT, and XP just for this reason.

You can disable the notifications with group policy, but they are not just automatically disabled. Also, of course, Windows 7 Enterprise is not eligible for free win 10 upgrade, and so it will never prompt either.
It might be the licensing agreement, but I have not set AD to block any notifications, we are using Pro under a site license and none of the Win 7 boxes prompt for the Win 10 upgrade until they are removed from the domain. Once they are removed from the domain, the icon is immediately visible and it can be updated normally.

Ce2Du0UVIAA6nwU (1).jpg

I have no idea who this person is but their picture just goes to show you that there is no escaping Windows 10 update notifications. A two story tall nag screen is the stuff nightmares are made of.

It's kind of nice knowing MS is in charge of my device, it anything were to go wrong, I could point to the TOS that states MS can do anything whenever they want to my PC, so I'm not responsible for anything now right? I mean they have full control, so they are the responsible party.

It might be the licensing agreement, but I have not set AD to block any notifications, we are using Pro under a site license and none of the Win 7 boxes prompt for the Win 10 upgrade until they are removed from the domain. Once they are removed from the domain, the icon is immediately visible and it can be updated normally.

If you have a WSUS server, then the admin might have blocked the updates that contain the nagware.

I was able to add a group policy that stops people from upgrading (If they try they get a message saying the admin doesn't allow them to upgrade), but I didn't see any settings to remove the upgrade icon. Really annoying that Microsoft switched to nagging domain computer.
I've actually started rolling out Windows 10 on some of the new laptops, but we still have software that some users need that won't work on Windows 10.

Pro or ENT would also do this as well....most of these digital sign PCs are managed remotely via team viewer or the like as well.

I use a Windows 7 PC at work and get exactly one notification per week, and its just a small window down in the corner.
I get the same, but it's not acceptable. If I decline once it should never come back unless I actively want it to come back.

FATAL FLAW!
Why in the world would you run windows anything for something as mission critical as outdoor advertisements??

FATAL FLAW!
Why in the world would you run windows anything for something as mission critical as outdoor advertisements??

Because it's China, and China - as a whole - is cheap. (I'm 98% sure this was taken in China.) Whatever you can do as cheaply and easily as possible. During my time living there, it was fairly common to see situations like this pop up regularly - no pun intended. "Mission Critical" doesn't matter. If you can look good 99% of the time on a low-cost option, then that 1% screw up doesn't really matter to them. You deal with it, just accept, and move on.

A mass majority of the Why's of China can be answered with the two words "Just accept."

Microsoft is SCUM. I've been using and support M$ products for over two decades. They need to roll over and die now. I'll just teach myself Linux like I did with M$ stuff. There are tons of job searches for Linux these days. I expect that number to increase.
If we can port all of the new games to Linux, M$ will only be on one of my old PCs still running Win7 for my older games.

It's kind of nice knowing MS is in charge of my device, it anything were to go wrong, I could point to the TOS that states MS can do anything whenever they want to my PC, so I'm not responsible for anything now right? I mean they have full control, so they are the responsible party.

I know this is a bit tongue in cheek, but they could still get you for your decision making process. Why choose an OS we pay you to maintain when you're not in charge of it...?

Turn off windows update service. Problem solved. Why are people just dumb about this?

Turn off windows update service. Problem solved. Why are people just dumb about this?

Umm, you mean then being vulnerable? I guess you aren't responsible for security of computers. It's possible that the OP is a standalone PC though.

I doubt it. These EULAs usually state they can do whatever they want AND they're not responsible for anything that happens. That's how business works.

otherweeb said:
On the Plus side, it's far superior to the blue screen of death
Well, depends on your perspective. At least the BSOD means there is a system malfunction and something is wrong, whereas an in-your-face Windows 10 nag screen means it's functioning exactly as intended...

This.
If you are not surfing the internet, or opening email attachments, and it's behind a decent firewall, you really don't need to worry much about updates. Maybe run them manually every few months as part of your maintenance schedule.

This.
If you are not surfing the internet, or opening email attachments, and it's behind a decent firewall, you really don't need to worry much about updates. Maybe run them manually every few months as part of your maintenance schedule.

Do realize that a virus can proliferate itself throughout a network without interaction? I take it you have not been in the technology world for very long. Manually running updates tends to fall off the plate in a lot of IT departments.

Your definition of "mission critical" is a lot different than mine.
Don't know; If you business is electronic outdoor advertising; one of your displays crashing and making you (and your customer) look like a fool is a problem that could possibly ruin you. So your choice in hardware and software is pretty critical here.
If said display is down town; where thousands see it a day; all the more critical.

Do realize that a virus can proliferate itself throughout a network without interaction? I take it you have not been in the technology world for very long. Manually running updates tends to fall off the plate in a lot of IT departments.

Well, that was more a problem with Windows 98-ME-2000 days when you only needed to leave a PC on and connected to the Internet without doing a thing with it and it got full of viruses in just a day. But just installing a good Firewall provided a protection against that. Or were you talking about companies internal networks and virus spreading through that?

Well, that was more a problem with Windows 98-ME-2000 days when you only needed to leave a PC on and connected to the Internet without doing a thing with it and it got full of viruses in just a day. But just installing a good Firewall provided a protection against that. Or were you talking about companies internal networks and virus spreading through that?

Mainly companies, such as in the article this is for. All it takes for home PCs is for one person to go to a "bad" link or attachment and it installs a trojan, which downloads anything it wants and spreads from there. Unfortunate world we live in.

Back