Windows 10 Upgrades Cannot Be Stopped

How many of you are still running your original Windows 7 installs?
All 3 of my machines are running their original installs from August of 2009, all with auto updates enabled and no issues so far. Been almost 6 years now.

To every brain surgeon and astroturfer that's been spouting "Why wouldn't you upgrade, it's free" for half a year - this is why.

I've also been saying to "wait for the EULA" because MS doesn't do anything without strings attached. I fully expect the invasive online crap not to be disabled even when you for example try to disable Cortana from reporting everything you type back to the mothership.

In a universe where MS never drops a windows update patch that wrecks a system, and windows update never crashes and force alt-tabs you from whatever you were doing, this is really great, this is perfect.

You forgot "and the marketing department doesn't slip in some new online/cloud/datamining bullshit feature as an important update, and Windows defender actually stopped any malware without having to resort to 3rd party tools anyway.. "

Or buy the license commensurate with your usage.

I use the computer at home, I don't need to join a domain, I don't need any of the other features included with Pro. By my definition I already have a license commensurate with my usage.

I think it's funny that anyone is making a big deal about this, it's exactly the same thing all their competitors do. Android, Mac OS, OS X, they all update using a rolling version update like this.

Except those are all a lot simpler in that they have a much more limited amount of hardware to support.

Except those are all a lot simpler in that they have a much more limited amount of hardware to support.

Regarding OSX, it's not so much the hardware limitations. Because you CAN install a lot of aftermarket stuff into an Apple. But more importantly, almost all of the hardware drivers go through Apple. So the screening and vetting process is much better.

In that regard, it is a superior experience. I would love to see more unified drivers on Microsoft's part. But the nature of the <Windows> PC just doesn't work well.

lol, best windows 10 feature i've run into so far is the option to delay updates/reboot, only to have windows reboot without warning in the middle of a long download.

Why is this free? For how long? Whats the catch? Free cheese in a mouse trap?

I posted about this the other day in "Microsoft Launches Office For Android Smartphones" and it applies to Windows 10 also.

1) Datamining, Ads, Bing, Cortana (Cloud)
2) Perpetual Software Rentals - Office365 Subscription, OneDrive Subscription, "Purchases" tied to MS Account (Cloud)
3) Vendor Lockin - Microsoft Account with "Purchased" Apps, Games, Music, Videos (Cloud)

That's the point of allowing delays on Pro. What they want to avoid is people (some IT folk who don't care about their job) who for some reason or another think they know more than Microsoft and never update, and then complain when their systems gets hacked and turned into malware turds.

As far as compatibility goes, it makes things a *lot* easier because you only have to worry about and test against the latest version of Windows 10, not the n! Matrix of software configurations because someone things patch A is ok but patch B is no good. Better both for software developers, IT administrators, and end users, which part of why I think iOS is so successful (so very few versions of the OS to care about), even though new x.0 versions have a decent chance at breaking some poorly written software.

Boom!
A lot of specialty software can break on updates. Software that can make companies hemorrage cash if it goes down. Updates for these users need to be vetted and other aspects of security are usually beefed up to compensate. Most OS installs exist to run application software and not to just run itself. Usually that's MS Office but sometimes its "Radix Spectral Analyzer Configuation Program 1X2A". And it won't be until the app maker can comment and in house testing is done that its safe to go forward.

obviously when the enterprise adopts win10 they will have control over patching. as a home user with 7 machines i have never had an issue with any hotfix. i think people just like to make mountains out of mole hills.

obviously when the enterprise adopts win10 they will have control over patching. as a home user with 7 machines i have never had an issue with any hotfix. i think people just like to make mountains out of mole hills.

Except this isn't just hotfixes at issue here. This is MS forcing new "features" on PCs whenever marketing feels like it. This whole "better keep updated you want to be safe don't you?" is poison pill when factoring MS is desperate to push their online/cloud bullshit to recoup their money on giving the update away.

I think it's funny that anyone is making a big deal about this, it's exactly the same thing all their competitors do. Android, Mac OS, OS X, they all update using a rolling version update like this.

Indeed. We had an oracle product up until last year, and if you didn't patch, they'd charge you more for support and after a couple of years they wouldn't support it at all.

MS is now giving the OS away, they pretty much want everyone running the same OS (within reason). As I recall, this article said you could get 4 or 8 months to install updates. If there's an issue, it'll get fixed by then...and if not, then they're going to have a lot of pissed off customers.

For now, I'm going think you have to wait and see. Virtually every time we here that MS is doing something evil, it turns out to be nothing. I vaguely recall worries about DRM in XP and it was a non issue.

Except this isn't just hotfixes at issue here. This is MS forcing new "features" on PCs whenever marketing feels like it. This whole "better keep updated you want to be safe don't you?" is poison pill when factoring MS is desperate to push their online/cloud bullshit to recoup their money on giving the update away.

I could be wrong, but I believe Windows 8 users had 2 years to go to 8.1 or they lost support. As for their online cloud bullshit, are you saying you can't turn it off? Because I heard a lot of complaints about 8 and cloud stuff and you can turn it ALL OFF.

Then buy pro, it really is that simple. Sorry but at no point will you get me to agree to giving basic users the amount of control they have now and never should of.

Then buy pro, it really is that simple. Sorry but at no point will you get me to agree to giving basic users the amount of control they have now and never should of.

And didn't they sell 8 pro for 15-20 bucks for months? Honestly, I don't get the complaints. We've been buying OS upgrades for years. If you dislike the way home works, buy a onetime upgrade.

Of course it's easy for me to say, since I effectively have an infinite (for me) supply for 7 ultimate licenses, but I've also got 2 8 pro licenses (20 bucks each).

Then again, I generally update within a day or 2...only if I"m working on something that I don't want to shut down (almost always work related) do I delay it longer...and occasionally that meant a few weeks, but if it wasn't crunch time, I'd just do it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The number of time's I've had problems in the last 8 years can be counted on one hand. Of those, only one was more than an inconvenience. A couple caused font issues (annoying, but that's it...and fixed once I knew it was a patch issue).

Windows 7 has worked well for me since I started using it in 2010. It's still working well for me. It'll work fine for me years from now.

I'm pretty sure I can hold out until MSFT puts out a real Windows desktop OS again without going all Big Brother on us with it...

It'll work fine for me years from now.

You don't know that. You are just guessing what the future will hold. Activation servers arn't perfect, and they are notorious for not letting you activate windows, even when you are completely entitled to the activation. Unless your using a pirated copy?

Up through OS X Mavericks, I have had the option to install the updates at a time of my choosing. I'm not sure about Yosemite because I haven't upgraded to it yet (I dislike the UI and I'm not really worried about the couple of malware variants that can potentially cripple my Mac). My Linux boxes (Mint, Debian, Ubuntu, Sabayon, etc.) also let me choose when to install their updates, but this could also be related to running a release or two behind current.

Microsoft is trying to balance security and convenience for their end users, but deciding what is the most convenient for everyone is the hang-up. There haven't been that many system-crippling update bugs in recent memory, so that is only a minor concern. The bigger concern will be for people that are on limited-bandwidth Internet connections or have data caps as part of their service. They have legitimate concerns, in my opinion.

While it is possible that some of them may actually become more educated on the subject by researching how to postpone their updates or block the connections to the update server, I think the majority will simply not have a clue about what is going on, just like we have right now. The benefit to them will be that they get updated to a more secure platform automatically, but it may come at the expense of data overages or bandwidth throttling, depending on the rest of their or their household's Internet usage habits.

The good thing is, updates, drivers, info and apps will not download over metered connections by default. I just checked it since I am using Windows 10 Build 10162 and it is there.

Are you able to postpone the downloading of updates? I prefer to download them at home, not when I'm on 4G and its ridiculous data caps.

Are you able to postpone the downloading of updates? I prefer to download them at home, not when I'm on 4G and its ridiculous data caps.

See my post above. :) Updates do not download over a metered connection by default. (At least that is how it is setup although I have not directly tested it.)

Trouble is, I use a 4G Router, and connect my notebook to its LAN port. It may assume it's not a metered connection and blow my cap right off the bat.

Trouble is, I use a 4G Router, and connect my notebook to its LAN port. It may assume it's not a metered connection and blow my cap right off the bat.

I have not researched this but, it may determine a metered connection based upon the path the data takes once it is outside your network. That is just a guess though.

As MoG said, it should determine you are on a metered connection based on your route out. However again in this case you certainly want to buy pro so you can control it anyhow. That said I would definitely wait a few months to let this like this stabilize before upgrading. I'm going to be waiting a minimum of 90 days myself and reevaluating it every 90 days thereafter if I don't decide its ready. Given the free upgrade period is 1 year, there is no rush.

You don't know that. You are just guessing what the future will hold. Activation servers arn't perfect, and they are notorious for not letting you activate windows, even when you are completely entitled to the activation. Unless your using a pirated copy?

No pirated Windows here. Running WIndows 7 Ultimate x64 which I bought in 2013.

I also very much doubt that MSFT will be turning off any activation servers for Windows 7 while Windows 7 is still the dominant Windows version in use. Considering how long Windows XP stayed around (correction, it's still around), I have little doubt that Windows 7 will have the same long life - and support from MSFT - as Windows XP.

And so it begins:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Windows Update in W10 pushes faulty nVidia drivers out which are unstoppable/unhidable and already brick PCs.

Now that's bad and I absolutely knew this stuff would happen. It was bound to happen. It was 100% certain.

Wait wait.. what?

Are they completey out of their god damn fucking rotten mind?!?!?!?!?!!!

Does that mean if I stop Windows Update by disabling its service for a while Microsoft might punish me by stopping all Windows updates in the future? Microsoft is aware that paying customers are not their inmates?

Sick fucks! No really, FUCK THIS. I would rather deal with hardcore Stallmanism than this shit.This takes it way too far. This is not funny anymore.

Conveniently ignore the fact that there are preview installers and Windows 10 is not out yet? Your trolling ways have not changed, you have just become more abrasive now.

Conveniently ignore the fact that there are preview installers and Windows 10 is not out yet? Your trolling ways have not changed, you have just become more abrasive now.

Also forgot, insider preview folks agreed to having all updates installed without any say so. You do not like that, don't use a preview OS. The only "forced" updates afterwards are for Windows 10 Home and that only includes Critical and security updates and patches. Driver updates are not going to be automatically installed.

How do folks continue to use this preview OS and not know this makes no sense at all. (Either that or the article writer really is clueless or what clicks for his baiting articles.)

Long live Win 8.1 then I'm moving to Linux+KDE it looks like. Steam should be there big time in 24 months ...

Back