Windows 2000 Domain & Windows XP Laptop at Home and at Work

sonyman

Gawd
What is the best way to use a laptop on a domain? I need for the user to log in to the domain so that they can access the network drives and printers. I can't do it anonymously because of the billing system we use for printers, so they need to log in with their usernames. How can I have it so that both the local login for when they are home and the domain login for when they are at work both use the same windows profile, with the same documents, and other settings and files pertaining to a windows login? I know how to do it with some registry "hacking" but I would rather do it in a way which does not involve this. Is there any supported way to do this? Either by having two seperate logins or by having the computer send the right credentials to the domain when it accesses the network?

Thanks,
Scott

Just create a local user on the laptop with the same username and password that the user has on the domain. He can log in locally at home and at work. Then, just create shortcuts on his desktop to the folders he needs access to at work. When he clicks on them, it shouldn't ask for his logon credentials because they're the same as when he logged on to his laptop. I've done this before and it works.

You could also create a .bat file for him to run when he gets to work to map the drives he needs.

Originally posted by rosco
Just create a local user on the laptop with the same username and password that the user has on the domain. He can log in locally at home and at work. Then, just create shortcuts on his desktop to the folders he needs access to at work. When he clicks on them, it shouldn't ask for his logon credentials because they're the same as when he logged on to his laptop. I've done this before and it works.

You could also create a .bat file for him to run when he gets to work to map the drives he needs.
I thought that would work, but I wasn't sure if Windows would try to use GUEST credentials first, which would allow him to print for free.

Scott

Just setup Offline Syncronization, so that anything he changes at home will automatically synchronize when he logs into the domain.

As for the logging in issue, if he's not connected to the domain it should use a "cached" version of his profile.

Back