Windows 7 and BFG 295 dont play well together

tubular

Gawd
........or at least not in my case they don't

Ok so a few days ago I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit professional from Windows Home Premium 64-bit. Before the upgrade my BFG 295 was functioning perfectly in SLI, no issues what-so-ever.

Now that I've upgraded my computer is only recognizing one 295, and of course will not give me any options for SLI with only one GPU being found. I have the 196.21 nvid drivers already installed, so they are the latest.
I can't even find the second gpu in GPU-Z or device manager.

Asus P6T Deluxe (latest bios)
BFG 295
6 gigs of ram @ 1333
Intel Core i7 @ 3.31

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics drivers
since I have a x58 chipset board I dont think I can uninstall any of those intel drivers as they just like to write over the old ones

I have also tried installing older versions of my GPU driver, still nothing is working
even just letting windows install my driver for me

did you try putting the one that works in the other slot? Try one at a time. Try to rule out the cards or the motherboard. Stranger things have happened

Last edited:
did you try putting the one that works in the other slot? Try one at a time. Try to rule out the cards or the motherboard. Stranger things have happened

The 295 is a single card with two gpu's, you can't change the order of them around, they are attached

try a fresh install of windows instead of a upgrade install

Actually Windows Vista Home Premium (which I had before) cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, so I did actually do a fresh install

try putting the card under full load and make sure the power saving feature isnt shutting off the second gpu while in 2D mode.. that about the only other thing i can think of.. also check for newer chipset drivers as well..

Odd, my EVGA GTX 295 plug and played with Win 7 Enterprise x64. Have you tryed removing and reseating the card ?

I called up BFG about the issue, they were the ones that suggested doing an RMA, and they are doing an advanced replacement as well so I won't have downtime. Their RMA process seems to be going much more smoothly for me than it ever did with XFX, even though I had one of their 'Black Edition' cards

Hopefully i'll have the new card sometime next week so we can see if that is the issue.

try putting the card under full load and make sure the power saving feature isnt shutting off the second gpu while in 2D mode.. that about the only other thing i can think of.. also check for newer chipset drivers as well..

I don't have any power saving options or software enabled, and created my own custom power scheme in windows even.

Odd, my EVGA GTX 295 plug and played with Win 7 Enterprise x64. Have you tryed removing and reseating the card ?

I thought about it but then why would the one card even register?

BFG seems to think the upgrade to 7 from Vista brought to surface some underlying issues with the card

Well funny update to this

Got the 'new' BFG 295 from fedex yesterday. Put it in my case after dusting the inside of the thing. No video output, figured it must have been something I did wrong, so I reseated it, and turned it back on.......and then it sparked and started a fire! woot woot!

This was no surprise though so I killed the power and sent it back so I have my second RMA arriving shortly I hope.

You know that guy everybody hears about who has such bad luck with computers that it is just comical, that guy is me, and this is but one tiny drop in the bucket of the problems I have with ALL of my personal electronics.

Well funny update to this

Got the 'new' BFG 295 from fedex yesterday. Put it in my case after dusting the inside of the thing. No video output, figured it must have been something I did wrong, so I reseated it, and turned it back on.......and then it sparked and started a fire! woot woot!

This was no surprise though so I killed the power and sent it back so I have my second RMA arriving shortly I hope.

You know that guy everybody hears about who has such bad luck with computers that it is just comical, that guy is me, and this is but one tiny drop in the bucket of the problems I have with ALL of my personal electronics.

trust me i feel your pain.. i use to live in a house with aluminum wiring.. i went through computers and electronics like they were candy.. the wiring in that house would chew up and spit anything out within a couple months.. so i feel your pain.. friggin sucks and theres nothing you can really do about it except live with it..

trust me i feel your pain.. i use to live in a house with aluminum wiring.. i went through computers and electronics like they were candy.. the wiring in that house would chew up and spit anything out within a couple months.. so i feel your pain.. friggin sucks and theres nothing you can really do about it except live with it..

Aluminum wiring? Seriously? I don't think I have ever heard of that, not that I have thought to ask anyone about thier home wiring but still. That can't be common right? Oh and why would that cause problems with electronics? Really curious.

Aluminum wiring? Seriously? I don't think I have ever heard of that, not that I have thought to ask anyone about thier home wiring but still. That can't be common right? Oh and why would that cause problems with electronics? Really curious.

nope its not allowed anymore.. building requirements changed to copper wiring only in the mid 70's.. my last house was built in 1973, 2 years after they made using that asbestos popcorn shit illegal to put on your ceiling.. yet my house had it anyways.. and its a pain in the but working with aluminum wiring.. you have to use special plugs and lights since aluminum and copper dont mix..

Wow ya I could imagine that would suck. Come to think ofit I have never heard of anything other than copper until today. LOL learn something new every day is true.

ha, thanks for the sympathy, hopefully the next replacement card will fix all of my problems

what actually caught fire? If the p/s then it might have had some quirk about not being able to power the "second" video card. Then with the new card.. it let out the ghost.

I feel ya on old building standards.. I once lived in an apt building from the 60's.. I had to sign a waiver that the building had once had asbestos or to that effect.

well the new card caught fire very near the dvi plugs, but on the inside of the chassis not the outside of the case.

and i'm running a 1200W power supply here, and its modular, and i'm using two different rails to power the card, so it has about twice as much power available as it will actually need.

copper is more conductive than alluminum, there for reducing the amount of resistance created in the line. Modern day electronics are sensitive to things like amperage, when you create more resistance you create more amperage and heat, causing power supplies in most electronics to overwork there built in surge protection... essentially failing

LOL, second RMA came in today, the 295 worked buuuut, was giving me a code 43 (i believe that was the one) error, tried to troubleshoot anyways, went to uninstall graphics card drivers, had to reboot aaaaand........no more video at all!
The second card was DOA essentially, had to put the old card back in again.

Calling em on monday when regular customer support is in so I can try to get a brand new replacement instead of a refurb

well in case anybody else ever has this problem I solved it
Got another card, this one was giving me only one GPU and a code (43) error too

I uninstalled my nvid drivers and reinstalled, didnt help at all

What DID help was I uninstalled my nvid drivers, booted in safe mode, DELETED the nvidia folder on my C:// drive manually, cleaned the driver install, restarted back into safe mode, cleaned the driver install again, and then reinstalled the newest drivers, problem solved

Glad it is working for you - haven't had any issues with my GTX295 and Win7 for almost a year.

ha, wish I never had any issues, but its just my luck
but the 3rd replacement card an some persistence solved it

Back