Windows 7 Audio Implementation

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm running a fairly decent laptop at work (Dell E6510, i7 Q740, 8GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit) and I don't understand why audio in Windows 7 seems to be so much more difficult than it was in Windows XP.

For example, playing back my flac library in foobar (with no special setup) always worked great in XP no matter what my computer was doing. On Windows 7, I was getting skips and pops no matter what buffering settings I used. I'm now using the WASAPI plugin set to output to my speakers/headphones and everything seems great again.

Now the issue is that my ZR1 LS9 Engine Assembly screensaver (which seems to have some audio features built in such as playing a playlist) hangs and doesn't run properly. It stutters at the beginning and then freezes a few seconds into it. The screensaver runs fine as long as foobar is not currently playing back music or is paused. It doesn't happen with WMP so I assume it has to do with the way WASAPI works.

I would like to find a solution so that I could play back my music with no interruption and have my screensaver work just fine. If this is a problem with the way Windows handles other programs while one of them is using WASAPI then I'd like to report this bug to Microsoft.

I've resisted Windows 7 for a long time (still use XP at home) and I've had to say that it seems ok so far. It is a little slower than XP for day to day tasks and it definitely has its quirks, i.e. the stupid taskhost.exe causing the "Discovering..." message whenever I try to access a network driver or USB drive or copy and paste anything between.

This could be caused by a few things.

1. Did you install any audio/video codecs? 7 natively plays many files types, making codecs almost unecessary. Use an audio/video player like MPC or VLC, that doesn't require codecs to be installed.

2. Did you update the audio driver? I've noticed, at least for Realtek, that the driver provided by Windows provides much better AQ than the official Realtek one.

This could be caused by a few things.

1. Did you install any audio/video codecs? 7 natively plays many files types, making codecs almost unecessary. Use an audio/video player like MPC or VLC, that doesn't require codecs to be installed.

2. Did you update the audio driver? I've noticed, at least for Realtek, that the driver provided by Windows provides much better AQ than the official Realtek one.

1. I never install codecs. I only use foobar for audio and VLC portable for video.

2. I am running the most up to date audio driver. Some crap IDT Audio.

What program are you using for wasapi playback?

I'm using the latest stable foobar and WASAPI plugin component.

Back