Windows 7: Hibernation destroyed my installation?

heatsinker

Supreme [H]ardness
I never use hibernation; typically I use sleep, but last night I happened to click on hibernate instead and when I tried to power the machine back on, it came up with the Resume Loader with the message "Your system's firmware did not preserve the system memory map across hibernation" and asked if I wanted to boot anyway.

I chose to boot anyway and now my system is in an endless reboot loop. The machine gets past the BIOS and I see the blinking cursor for about a second and then the whole system reboots. I have Win7 installed in UEFI mode and the BIOS is configured to load the Windows UEFI bootloader.

Things I've tried to remedy the issue, but to no avail:
  • Clear CMOS
  • Remove the power for several hours
  • Use the boot drive as an external to delete the hiberfil.sys (doesn't exist on the drive)
  • Tried mashing F8 and spacebar to see if I can get Advanced Boot Options

The only thing left to try is boot a Windows 7 disc and see if startup repair can do anything. Anyone ever experience something like this?

Startup repair usually fixes it. I had to disable hibernation on my machine because it would do it nearly every time... Had to do Startup Repair every time. It'd fix it, though.

Now, it's either sleep or shutdown.

I never use hibernation; typically I use sleep, but last night I happened to click on hibernate instead...

This won't help with your current problem but after you get it fixed do this:

Open a command prompt (use admin rights)
Type powercfg -h off [ENTER]

This will disable hibernation and remove it from the Shut Down options.

Whew! As soon as I got into the Recovery Options of the Windows 7 disc, it immediately detected the issues with the bootloader and fixed them right away, now everything is back to normal! I was just about start crapping bricks there!

And I made sure to use that command to get rid of the hibernate option too so this should never happen again.

Whew! As soon as I got into the Recovery Options of the Windows 7 disc, it immediately detected the issues with the bootloader and fixed them right away, now everything is back to normal! I was just about start crapping bricks there!

And I made sure to use that command to get rid of the hibernate option too so this should never happen again.

I just noticed the Samsung SSD in your signature. Be aware that when you update the Samsung Magician software it will usually turn hibernation back on. Magician will also turn hibernation on if you run the "OS Optimizations" if I recall correctly.

Back