Windows 7 on Blue-Ray?

stoney_titan

[H]ard|Gawd
Do you think Microsoft has taken any stance on the format wars? The only product of either they have released is the HD-DVD player for the Xbox 360. Are they going to support Blue-Ray? Or even have a choice?

Note: I'm aware there is still a good chance it will be released on DVD pending the release date. (so hypothetically, would they ever release on Blue-Ray.)

Do you think Microsoft has taken any stance on the format wars? The only product of either they have released is the HD-DVD player for the Xbox 360. Are they going to support Blue-Ray? Or even have a choice?

Note: I'm aware there is still a good chance it will be released on DVD pending the release date. (so hypothetically, would they ever release on Blue-Ray.)

Hypothetically, yes they would.
If the size of Win7 justifies putting it on something bigger than a dual layer DVD. AND
If Bluray drives become the optical drive nearly all computers are shipped with.
If both are not met why would they?

Personally, I do not think either Bluray or HDDVD drives will be in the majority over DVD drives within the next 2 to 3 years. I also have a feeling that by the time this format war is all settled we are going to have either drives supporting both formats or something else altogether. At this point I am voting for a new format that neither consortium of idiots has control of.

I agree that it will depend on size of Windows 7.
With recent news I expect end of this format war sometime this year - and if everyone manufactures BR drives they should be getting cheaper and cheaper.

"Cheap" is not a term that Sony knows of.

Sony isnt only manufacturer of Blu-Ray discs and drives - at least 4 companies are making them right now and as soon as this war against HD-DVD ends number of such companies will increase.

^^
agreed. Sony is just the "lead" of the group of companies that back the BR spec.

If blue ray really starts to come out ahead of hd-dvd(which it is starting to look like) you will see support for it from ms. As far as the next release of windows it will not be on hd-dvd or blue-ray. If it will not fit on a single dual layer disk you will see it on 2 seperate 2 layer dvd disks.

As far as software goes ms and other companies will stick with dvd disk for a few more years untill they have to switch and 90 plus precent of machines have the replacement format. Hell a lot of software today is still being shipped on cd instead of dvds for that reason.

Back