Windows 7 Taskbar And Multi-Touch Demo

The guy needs to hire someone to hold his camera for him.

Looks like MS wants everyone to upgrade to touchscreens. I wonder how much that's going to cost us...

Looks like MS wants everyone to upgrade to touchscreens. I wonder how much that's going to cost us...

You don't "have" to upgrade. But if you do have a touch screen it adds more functionality to your system. Vista and XP tablet edition both support touch screens. Since you don't have one alredy that you are using that just means you aren't using that functionality.

Not that much. HP's TouchSmart PCs cost around $1300 with a 22" touchscreen monitor. I wouldn't say that they WANT us to upgrade to touchscreens, but rather they gave us the options of having touchscreens.

If they didn't include it, you'll hear all sorts of complaining that they didn't, just like people are already complaining about the lack of Blu-ray playability.

Actually, i expect the more common use of multi-touch will involve a new generation of touch-pads. I could see a lot of people replacing their mice on their desktop systems with multi-touch capable touch-pads. I really don't see people lining up to buy expensive new monitors, and then reaching over their desk to interact with the screen. Of course, the technology will be a natural fit for new tablet PCs, and handheld internet devices. Cool stuff. :)

Not that much. HP's TouchSmart PCs cost around $1300 with a 22" touchscreen monitor.
That $1300 only buys you a 2ghz C2D with Intel graphics and no software, so I'd say it's very expensive. Granted, the whole thing is packed into the monitor, but it's still expensive.

So far, multi-touch is the only thing about Windows 7 that looks like a must-have feature. So that makes a touch screen a required feature.

If you look around the Windows 7 demos you'll find desktops with the build 6801 stamp, this would be like saying version 6.8! Vista is build 6000, with SP1 6001, with SP2 BETA 6002. So I agree with the it Vista with a new UI (and some performance boosts), but that's not a bad thing. I'm sure once the complaints about it not being true Windows 7 they are going to change the version number, but its still something funny to see. I seriously hope that the UI for Windows 7 gets a little more attention it and the menus look really dull.

Meh

No way in hell would i ever get a touch screen for personal use, even if you can use it with windows 7, I hate fingerprints.

Yuck. Looks almost like KDE. Not sure if that's exactly a bad thing but I want my old taskbar back! I don't think business is going to be switching to 7 either!

do_not_want.jpg

I think I'll stick with XP or Vista...

I like it. I wonder how good the support will be for theme options. Imagine a "litestep" level of customization...

God I pray Intel has some half decent Integrated graphics by then. I am sick to death of working on laptops w/ Intel Graphics and Vista. That UI looks even more graphically intense than Vista's. I don't think MS and Intel want another "Windows X Capable" fiasco.

From what is shown here windows-7-walkthrough-boot-video-and-impressions it looks like they gutted a good chunk of the bloat out and tried to make the OS overall a bit more user friendly.

The bootup video is impressive, the startup time is faster then my gaming rig with a 4gb readyboost drive.

If MS pulls this off as well as it looks to be going, then Netbooks/Notebooks with multi touch pads or screens will really take off.

In that article he talks about having a Win7 install in the 500mb range where vista is 10gb, I want to know, what in the hell is vista holding onto that can bloat it that badly? I know it has a huge drivers pack but it isn't that big, it can't be graphics as even those are not that large, does vista make a complete archive of the system after install?

I'm glad to see that ms wants to do something different with the look of windows 7. I'm sure there will be a way to make it look vista/xp-ish for those that want that, but more customization and a new look appeals to me. I hope they don't get scared and go back on this.

As for the touch screens, I think this functionality is important because the way we use computers and where they are located in our homes and offices will be different in the future. Multi-touch is important for MS to futureproof windows.

So I fail to see the hype..Everything in that video can be done in Vista on a touch screen. I believe HP's new Touchscreen computer was mentioned. The only thing I saw different was a slightly different look to the Aero interface.

As for touch screens, I think they look cool. But There is one inherit flaw that touchscreens cannot overcome...You have to Touch them with your fingers and that leaves finger prints.

Not into the touchscreen stuff but everything I've read about streamlining the menus, settings, etc, is A+ in my book. Giving me the option to adjust how much attention Windows demands from me (basically make it stop acting like a hyperactive 10 year old that needs constant attention with the focus stealing and notifications and whatnot) would make it really perfect.

And yeah, that taskbar totally looks like KDE.

So I fail to see the hype..Everything in that video can be done in Vista on a touch screen. I believe HP's new Touchscreen computer was mentioned. The only thing I saw different was a slightly different look to the Aero interface.

As for touch screens, I think they look cool. But There is one inherit flaw that touchscreens cannot overcome...You have to Touch them with your fingers and that leaves finger prints.

And not only that but for all the desktop screens, I'm going to patent an Arm rest that is attached to your arm with a battery powered jet that will keep your arm floating above your desk so you won't have to hold your arm up with the other when you get real busy. So far I can see touch screens for presentations in an office environment, but not for the majority of home users. I can't wait for the marketing industry to come up with ideas for us home users to have us buy something we don't need.

Great! More crap to pay for that I'll disable and never use. Weee!

Even if Windows 7 would be only released in 1 version and came with MS Office for no extra charge, still wouldn't be worth it. I don't even think I'd get it if I could for free. :-\

Even if Windows 7 would be only released in 1 version and came with MS Office for no extra charge, still wouldn't be worth it. I don't even think I'd get it if I could for free. :-\

awesome, because we all want your opinion.. go back to you mac fanboy, whilst the men talk.

that being said windows 7 is a great step forward, its fast as hell from what i have seen (yay winbeta.org), and im looking forward to installing it on all my computers provided that drivers are working well with it.

What's the specs for the computer that's being used anyway? :-\

Fast.. please. I can garantee you XP will kill this at speed. Maybe even Vista, too.

fyi - Macs suck.

In that article he talks about having a Win7 install in the 500mb range where vista is 10gb, I want to know, what in the hell is vista holding onto that can bloat it that badly? I know it has a huge drivers pack but it isn't that big, it can't be graphics as even those are not that large, does vista make a complete archive of the system after install?

I know on 64-bit, this was used for "Windows on Windows" wasn't it? For 32-bit programs and etc. The other sources could be the hibernation file, that is literally the size of your installed RAM - lol.

I was watching the stream off of MSDN yesterday about the 7 Taskbar - I gotta say I was pretty impressed. The Multi-touch isn't what I'm interested in, so I don't really care. Wish I remembered where the link was, but the meat of the presentation started at 21minutes (spent everything else "reminiscing' about previous Windows haha).

Back