WIndows 7 - Unable to Save Settings (Dual Monitors)

GaleForce

Gawd
I'm trying to configure a second monitor on my Windows 7 PC but I'm running into a problem. From what I've been able to find from searching it seems that this is normally a laptop issue but I'm running a desktop so I can't figure out what's wrong. The secondary monitor is an Acer X223W that I just want to use to browse the net while I use my primary (24" dell, I forgot the model number, I can get it if necessary). I thought it might be a driver issue but according to Microsoft's help website my monitor is supported without additional software (and Acer only seems to have Vista drivers). For what it's worth when I used the Acer as a secondary monitor, with this Dell as a primary, on Windows Vista it worked without a problem.

The Dell is hooked up using a DVI-DVI cable while the Acer is hooked up using a DVI to HDMI (HDMI end plugged into graphics card) cable. I'm running a Radeon HD 6870 if that can help troubleshoot the issue at all.

I think it is also worth noting that I can get my output to display on the Acer by itself or the Dell by itself, but not both.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

The HDMI connection on 6 series cards is shared by one of the DVI connections, which makes them effectively a single output. Plug your DVI monitor into the other connection and you'll be good to go.

Wow that did it. Thanks so much. I can't believe how simple it was. For some reason I thought I had 2 DVI, 2 HDMI, and 2 Mini outputs.

Sorry just one more question. If I wanted to hook up 2 monitors via DVI and then have my television hooked up via HDMI is there anyway to do that with the channels being shared? Or would I have to hook one of the monitors up using the mini DV ports? I don't understand why a DVI port and the HDMI port would share a connection so I'm not really sure how many displays I can hook up simultaneously.

You can easily switch between the HDMI and DVI connected device. The best method is to create a profile and use that. Have one for the dual displays and another for just the HDMI output. I do this with my projector.

Back