Windows 7, what works and what doesn't

Then fire off an email to those software developers and tell 'em to learn how to code their shit properly - the issue isn't with Vista or Windows 7, it's with the stupid (and apparently very lazy) programmers. You're a user of their products, so complain to them about that aspect of their crappy software and drivers - or take your business elsewhere (and yes I know RivaTuner is a community supported product, doesn't matter).

Seems when I install Nvidia 185.20 x64 for Vista, it actually says "Windows 7 display drivers" while installing. Think it's a 7 beta package included with the Vista drivers (I know they are essentailly similar).

*edit*

Update. Well I had some fallout 3 graphic corruption with the default 7 drivers. 185.20 completely cleared up the issues with the game. I'm running Ultra settings, 1440x900 with 4xaa 1xAF and maxing at 60fps but dropping to 45ish around buildings, on a 8800gts 512 single. SLI doesn't work with these but I've heard if you start a new game, then it works *shrug*. I'll try a new game and update on the SLI.

EVGA Precision or Rivatuner need to be allowed every time i reboot my computer in Windows 7, even with the minimum UAC. Thats enough to make me turn it off :)

QFT, I wanted to leave UAC on, but the Rivatuner startup thing killed it for me.

Doesnt work:
FFDShow (installs fine however doesnt seem to apply when using WMP)

What does work:
Everything else. I mean it too. Im pretty sure ive started every program on this OS.

The recently k-lite 4.5.0 BETA claims Windows 7 Compatibility, but i still cant get WMP to use FFDSHOW and the built in codecs are not that great at all

Windows 7 plays everything I've thrown at it so far, including Ogg, MKV, and FLAC content with the plugin that's available. Even plays QuickTime trailers without issues - and without QuickTime being installed.

Can't figure out why other people are having so many issues... I wonder...

I've notice sometimes when I hit 'play all' and quickly close the song, then try to reopen, media player hangs and I get an error message. Doesn't do it every time.

Also, right click start menu, properties, taskbar, 'use small icons'. FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks even better!!!!!!! :D
The problem I had earlier was because the virtual disc utility didn't work. Uninstalled it and the drive can be detected again (it's not hanging the system).
Doesnt work:
Daemon Tools (Slysofts Virtual drive is a perfectly acceptable substitute however)

I also got poweriso to work. Daemon wouldn't work for me either.

Fraps works.

I picked up 4FPS in Fallout 3 on 7.

Even plays QuickTime trailers without issues - and without QuickTime being installed..
Really? That is great news. I hate having quicktime iinstalled for that one purpose. I like my software to be able to handle multiple things and just for one codec to install QT, kinda sucks.

I am setting up WIndows 7 under VMware just to be safe, especially after reading this thread and the other one on Windows 7 Beta. I'll post my impressions when I get it installed.

anyone having problems with HL1 engine? namely cs1.6? im using the latest 181.20 and i get these flickering scan lines ingame.

when i use the drivers that windows update provides (178.24), i dont get the flicker but my fps jumps randomly from 60fps to 85fps which is my refresh rate.. sucks because that is the game i play the most..

all other games play fine... had to run gta4 in compatability mode however.. AoC/source engine games work flawless..

Just image the damned PC using something like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost (or DriveImage XML if you're a cheap bastard or something, it's free) and then install Windows 7 natively... people putting it in VMs is beyond me, really. It just hurts the performance overall compared to a bare metal native installation - and with imaging software your original is safe and sound (unless of course you have some single drive letter multi-terabyte array, that is). :D

Just image the damned PC using something like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost (or DriveImage XML if you're a cheap bastard or something, it's free) and then install Windows 7 natively... people putting it in VMs is beyond me, really. It just hurts the performance overall compared to a bare metal native installation - and with imaging software your original is safe and sound (unless of course you have some single drive letter multi-terabyte array, that is). :D

I guess I could do that. But I wanna just play around with stuff and I also wanted to mess around with VMware anyway. If I ever do take it serious though, that's a great idea. And I do have an Acronis install disk laying around here somewhere also.

Yep, that's precisely why VMs are so cool for playing around, nothing wrong with that. But unless you've got some monster hardware going on and it's configured for speed, running Windows 7 in a VM ain't gonna give you quite the same experience, but you already know this. ;)

No worries...

The only thing that didn't work initially were softsubs, but there's a workaround. Other than that, everything else has been working nicely.

Well I'm on an early '08 MacBook Pro and so far I'm having trouble getting my firewire 400 external harddrive to work (or even make the "device connected" sound). It worked fine in Vista 64. Otherwise, things seem to be running great so far.

It's a beta, leave us ingorant users testing things alone.

Shoot, I'd call users ignorant just for the fact of turning UAC off, but I digress...

If this is really a bug (I can't reproduce it, so don't spread it around as fact when it clearly isn't)... Use the Send Feedback. Most important thing you can do. Microsoft can't fix issues without anyone telling them about it.

Anyone able to get GTAIV to work? It installed fine, but when I try to launch it, I get a SecuLauncher error. I've set compatibility mode to XP on the install and on GTAIV.exe, Vista mode won't launch either setup or the game exec. Only thing keeping me from making it my primary OS.

Everything else I've tried works, but it's stuff already been posted. Going to try and install a Pinnacle TV HD Card later today.

never worked for me in Vista, but WinAVI 8.0 works with this and is actually faster than when I use it in XP, weird, and Everest also works but SIW (system information for Windows) gets hung up on licenses about 50% of the time...

I've been having trouble with Punk Buster in COD4

Kicks me for invalid drivers/process

Windows 7 plays everything I've thrown at it so far, including Ogg, MKV, and FLAC content with the plugin that's available. Even plays QuickTime trailers without issues - and without QuickTime being installed.

May I ask how you got mkvs to play, because my entire media collection is x264 encoded 1080p blurays In mkv containers and they certainly do not play right out of the box. Is it that they are L5.1? I'll have to grab a 720p L4.1 and try that. Windows doesn't seem to recognize what the mkv file extension is in the first place.

yes please do be filing bugs on all of these issues with the "Send feedback" tool
i have been tracking one major bug though
can anyone with an ATI video card make sure the source engine games do/do not work?
i have tested 3 differant nvidia cards and they never get to the ingame menus they just halt at "Loading...." but it looks more like a driver issue then an OS problem

whats up, i started using windows 7 x64 on my asus p5b deluxe, q6600 @ 3.0, 4gb, 8800gts 512, 4 sata drives. no problems installing.
uninstalled the windows Nvidia drivers for my 8800, and reinstalled the 178 drivers (for fan control) from nvidias website for x64 vista. no installation errors at all. My marvell pci-e ethernet drivers actually installed from the disc, but i replaced them with the latest asus drivers.

what works...

eset nod32 x64
acronis true image 11
mozilla firefox
my logitech illuminated keyboard software and drivers
nvida ntune
sidebar does work but MUST have uac enabled. even the lowest setting works.
razer diamondback 3g x64 drivers.
ccleaner, defraggler, image burn, acrobat reader, flash for IE8 and mozilla,
itunes, quicktime
and Cyberlink high def software with LG blu-ray reader/writer works perfect.
oh and wmp 12 is sweet.

problems:
IE 8 goes black sometimes.
and my wife doesnt give me enough time on it to list/find more problems ...lol

One thing, and the first thing i checked was event viewer. with a fresh install of vista x64 i recieved nothing but WMI, service control, volcom ,and other misc errors.
with windows 7 i am not recieving one damn error...its beautiful. Checking "system" in event viewer looks clean no probs. With all the little problems i had with Vista, i would rather run a beta of Windows 7. You'll get little problems anyway.( i expect less with "7"). Its my new OS till july.:cool:
its going on my HP lappy next.:)

sidebar does work but MUST have uac enabled. even the lowest setting works.

O really thats why its not working for me? Makes sense because I think when it did "break" for me, its when I disabled UAC.

Please be reporting these bugs guys via the Send Feedback link.

yes please please report these bugs with the send feedback link, you can see it almost everywhere in windows 7, this is exactly what Microsoft wants, everyone has different hardware so it would help them a ton.

can anyone with an ATI video card make sure the source engine games do/do not work?
i have tested 3 differant nvidia cards and they never get to the ingame menus they just halt at "Loading...." but it looks more like a driver issue then an OS problem

No issues for me with ATI (tested css and l4d), tried compat mode?

The multi-tab 'peak' feature doesn't work with browsers other than IE8. I wonder if that's intentional.

Something I found neat is system restore has a button to scan the restore point and it lets you know what is effected/changed. ........... bad ass. However, I just ran system restore to get back the default drivers (I deleted them) and it uninstalled everything that I installed. It also deleted several of my documents/downloads that I recently downloaded. :eek: :mad: Vista does the same thing though. Luckily I'm just playing on this but it should never delete your documents.

Anyone with a P5Q Pro able to install chipset drivers?

yep. had to enable Vista compatibility mode because the installer package was choking on the 6.1 version number.

setup.ini OS type list
Code:
[OS_Language_Tag] 
;Force =WNT_5.0,English
;WIN_4.00 = Win95
;WIN_4.03 = Win95
;WIN_4.10 = Win98
;WIN_4.11 = Win98
;WIN_4.90 = WinME
;WNT_4.0  = WinNT40
;WNT_4.0P = WinNT40P
;WNT_5.0  = WinNT50 
;WNT_5.0P = WinNT50
WNT_5.1P_MCE = WinNT51P
WNT_5.1H = WinNT51P
WNT_5.1P = WinNT51P
WNT_5.2  = WinNT52
WNT_5.2A  = WinNT52A
WNT_5.2I  = WinNT52I
WNT_5.2P  = WinNT52P

WNT_6.0P_32     = Vista32
WNT_6.0P_32_MCE = Vista32
WNT_6.0H_32     = Vista32
WNT_6.0H_32_MCE = Vista32
WNT_6.0P_64_MCE = Vista64
WNT_6.0P_64     = Vista64
WNT_6.0H_64_MCE = Vista64
WNT_6.0H_64     = Vista64

As you see, there's not an entry for WNT6.1P_64, which is what Win7 Beta is.

Logitech webcam Pro 9000 basic function works with drivers automatically installed by Win 7 but the drivers/software suite from Logitech does not install...does not work under Vista compatibility mode either...Under Vista compatibility the installer stops running because it says the display must be set to at least such and such a resolution...like 800x600 or something...though I am running at 1080...go figure.

I can't get my Megaraid 320-2E Scsi Raid card to be seen in 7, nor a 39160 or a 29160 Scsi card/s. Maybe there will be updates later.

Larry

Criccio:

fyi, my 720p .m2ts blu-ray rips play natively in Windows 7 - they're just Level 4.1 x264 / ac3 files. I think since blu-ray files are .m2ts, Windows recognizes them as AVCHD files in explorer. Plus these play on the PS3.

You can use tsmuxer to demux / remux / change to level 4.1. On the other hand if you install ffdshow or haali's media splitter, the files should play the way they are. I have both installed since I did rip / encode a blu-ray movie yesterday in Win 7.

I'm talking about x264 encoded BD in MKV containers. Here is a sample. http://www.filedropper.com/sample_5

I know that if I install extra filters it will work, but that wasn't the point. Joe Average says it works fine natively. If I have to install anything, ill be installing MPC-HC + Haali's to take advantage of DXVA decoding which is what I do now in Vista64.

The built in H.264/MPEG-2 decoders take advantage of DXVA.

But yea, mkv files aren't openable without extra source filters.

May I ask how you got mkvs to play, because my entire media collection is x264 encoded 1080p blurays In mkv containers and they certainly do not play right out of the box. Is it that they are L5.1? I'll have to grab a 720p L4.1 and try that. Windows doesn't seem to recognize what the mkv file extension is in the first place.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema, simple. I never said Windows Media Player 12 would play back MKV, I said Windows 7 meaning the OS has the necessary codec filters - you just need something that can open/read the container, hence, MPCHC.

Here's a screenshot of that sample.mkv file you linked to, sorry my current monitor (Sony G400) can't hit 1920x1200 at the moment, need to tweak the damned Nvidia inf file a bit (it can do 1920x1200 at 85 Hz, just not yet). I have installed nothing additional, just Windows 7 x64 and MPCHC I just grabbed from www.free-codecs.com and extracted it. Changed it to play all video formats, then downloaded the sample.mkv file and played it - I changed the zoom to 50% so it would fit in my 1600x1200 resolution. That's it:

Note the audio also: it's picking up the full blown 5.1 encoded into the MKV also. :)

To install logmein

download this zip file https://secure.logmein.com/logmein.zip

1. Extract logmein.zip
2. Start->All Programs->Accessories->Right click on "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator"
3. Navigate to \logmein\x86 or \logmein\x64, depending on your operating system
4. Type logmein install
5. It will load in your system tray and ask you to configure it, when you click on configure it will most likely give you an error about an invalid cert, change the address to https://127.0.0.1:2002 and it will work. The error is a problem with IPv6 and using localhost

Media Player Classic Home Cinema, simple. I never said Windows Media Player 12 would play back MKV, I said Windows 7 meaning the OS has the necessary codec filters - you just need something that can open/read the container, hence, MPCHC.

It's probably using MPC-HC's built in decoders anyway. :p

Back