Windows 8.1 update nuked the mouse and usb root hub xhci

• Thread starter Deleted member 80813
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80813

My wifes laptop has 8.1 and for the most part has ran fine for her. She just did an update and now her Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse V2.0 will not work and also the USB root hub xhci for the USB3 has left the USB3 ports dead. I have tried installing the MS drivers for the mouse from Microsoft but it comes up with an error message that they are not compatible. WTH?! They can not even support their own hardware?

I have removed the updates but the hardware still does not work. I have searched the internet and many other people have this problem but no solutions.

Does your wife do anything that especially needs windows? If not, just switch to linux. It will do everything you need in daily browsing / light home use.

Linux isn't the answer right now at least. She has programs that are windows only and do not work in emulation.

I will check out the KB article as soon as I am home.

Does your wife do anything that especially needs windows? If not, just switch to linux. It will do everything you need in daily browsing / light home use.

The mandatory "Switch to Linux" post for "Broken Windows" thread, lol.

Or, you know, actually help fix the issue at hand? :rolleyes: OP, was this the Windows 8.1 update or something else? I would try a system restore point if one is available.

Or, you know, actually help fix the issue at hand? :rolleyes: OP, was this the Windows 8.1 update or something else?

She just did an update and now her Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse V2.0 will not work and also the USB root hub xhci for the USB3 has left the USB3 ports dead

Seems pretty clear to me...The topic pretty much says so. Windows 8.1 update nuked the mouse and usb root hub xhci

Find the recent installed updates and uninstall them, that should do it. Updated my friends with the spring 8.1 update and now when you click any links in IE11 nothing happens. Was a bitch to track down and no way am I reloading Windows at that point so I just uninstalled and it works now...

You can also force the driver install via device manager.

Extract the contents MouseKeyboardCenter_64bit_ENG_2.3.188.exe with WINRAR or 7Zip.

In device manager right-click your mouse, should be under "Mice and other pointing devices" and select "Browser my computer for driver software". On the next screen select "Let me pick from a list of driver on my computer". Select the "Have Disk" button and navigate to the extracted content from the .EXE, there should be a folder called drivers, select the point64.inf. From there you should see a list that contains you Optical mouse v2.0 driver. You may get a compatibility error when you select the driver but it can be ignored.

Hope that helps.

Just to rule out hardware, boot to an Ubuntu/Parted Magic/Debian/Linux Mint Live CD to see if all your USB ports work. If they do, then your Windows drivers or OS or both are probably hosed.

The mandatory "Switch to Linux" post for "Broken Windows" thread, lol.

Why not? You're all commenting like it's something bad. Everyone should switch to linux if possible. No more windows viruses and malware just by itself is a huge incentive.

Or, you know, actually help fix the issue at hand?

The issue here is Windows 8 and Microsofts recent goof offs with updates as far as I can see it. My suggestion will fix that problem quite permanently :D

Why not? You're all commenting like it's something bad. Everyone should switch to linux if possible. No more windows viruses and malware just by itself is a huge incentive.

I guarantee you that if everyone switches to linux, your beloved "invulnerable" OS will be bombarded with virus and malware. No system is absolutely perfect, and someone will find a way through Linux's security.

Every product has its place. Linux's place is not for the general consumer without someone technologically savvy close by.

You can also force the driver install via device manager.

Extract the contents MouseKeyboardCenter_64bit_ENG_2.3.188.exe with WINRAR or 7Zip.

In device manager right-click your mouse, should be under "Mice and other pointing devices" and select "Browser my computer for driver software". On the next screen select "Let me pick from a list of driver on my computer". Select the "Have Disk" button and navigate to the extracted content from the .EXE, there should be a folder called drivers, select the point64.inf. From there you should see a list that contains you Optical mouse v2.0 driver. You may get a compatibility error when you select the driver but it can be ignored.

Hope that helps.

well he said his mouse is not working ...how hes gonna click on anything ? :confused:

It is something bad to recommend linux when its not the solution. I would say only switch to linux if you have a reason to. I currently use osx, linux, and windows pretty much everyday, I would say stay with windows. Guess what? I have never gotten a virus, I downloaded one once a long time ago by going to questionable websites but the av caught it, and that's pretty much my fault for downloading sketchy things. Oh man you know stuff like heartbleed is so much better than windows malware and viruses... Oh wait... I guess you failed to realize any system can be vulnerable.
The issue here is Windows 8 and Microsofts recent goof offs with updates as far as I can see it. My suggestion will fix that problem quite permanently :D

You for real? I guess you have never had an update from what ever distro you are using break something.... You know what I hear most often from linux users, if its not broke don't update. That's a terrible mentality when it comes to software as updates often contain security fixes.

Last edited:
I guarantee you that if everyone switches to linux, your beloved "invulnerable" OS will be bombarded with virus and malware. No system is absolutely perfect, and someone will find a way through Linux's security.

Every product has its place. Linux's place is not for the general consumer without someone technologically savvy close by.

So far so good so let that happen first, then let's worry about it.

It is something bad to recommend linux when its not the solution. I would say only switch to linux if you have a reason to. I currently use osx, linux, and windows pretty much everyday, I would say stay with windows. Guess what? I have never gotten a virus, I downloaded one once a long time ago by going to questionable websites but the av caught it, and that's pretty much my fault for downloading sketchy things. Oh man you know stuff like heartbleed is so much better than windows malware and viruses... Oh wait... I guess you failed to realize any system can be vulnerable.

You for real? I guess you have never had an update from what ever distro you are using break something.... You know what I hear most often from linux users, if its not broke don't update. That's a terrible mentality when it comes to software as updates often contain security fixes.

Lol heartbleed was a vulnerability in a piece of software, not linux itself. If you never caught a virus on windows you must be very careful with what you do with it. I know people who can't have windows for 2 weeks before catching SOMETHING on it.

Lol heartbleed was a vulnerability in a piece of software, not linux itself.
Bro... you expect us to use linux without software?....

And good job totally ignoring that linux has its own update issues which you totally know to be true.

Bro... you expect us to use linux without software?....

And good job totally ignoring that linux has its own update issues which you totally know to be true.

You can't say 'linux' and speak about 'linux' when there are a gazillion different flavors or GNU-linux. If you run some bleeding edge distro yes, you may run into problems fast. If you run some more stable form, you're less likely to run into problems with updates.

The updates are not an issue on stable linux distros. Most problems are caused by users themselves who enable testing/experimental repositories that create irreversible problems.

At least with linux you're always free to upgrade, change or even develop your OS unlike Windows where you're treated as a criminal (activation, anyone) and you pay for most upgrades.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

First off this is not a Linux issue. I use linux on one of my machines and Win7 on the other. My wife is NOT using Linux. Because of some of the software she has to use, she will not be using it anytime soon. Leave it at that.

Back to the issue at hand. I did not get a chance to try anything last night due to the storms that knocked out our power most of the night. This is what I do know though. The system is a laptop and the keyboard and touch pad so work. Also, When I remove the Unknown Device in device manager and let Win8 find the mouse again it comes up as Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 with the yellow warning triangle next to it. It stays this way for about 30 seconds before going back to being an unknown device. This leads me to believe that USB2 ports are OK, just the USB3 hub and ports are borked. I will try to force the Mousekeyboard Center drivers first.

Back