Windows 8: Hate It Already? Waiting Won’t Help

I'm upgrading to 8 for the under the hood improvements :)

I'm not afraid of tweaking it to my liking.

MS appears to be taking the Steve Jobs/Apple mentality to this whole thing.

You're getting stuck with Metro because they know whats best for you and you don't. :(

Me? I'll never own an XBox or Windows Phone, so I don't need a unified interface, esp when it's a tablet interface on my desktop PC that doesnt have (or need) a touch interface.

I've got myself plenty of Win7 licenses here to tide family, friends and I over for a long while thankfully. ;)

MS may have no intentions of going back, but a lot is riding on the sales of Win8, and though they'll move units on every machine from DELL, HP, etc, I don't see the "techies" out there who build their own machines putting Win8 on most of them.

I'd love to see it tank so hard MS stock drops 50% just to show em they don't know whats best for everyone. If you truly hate it, vote with your wallet, thats the only leverage we as consumers have, and we rarely if ever exercise it like we should.

Honestly I've not played with 8 yet, having a toddler and an infant don't afford me the free time to monkey with OSes like I used to. That being said, do you think Microsoft is following the Apple iOS model Where computers have a kiosk like OS?

Over and over again I hear from Apple supporters how wonderful their products are because Grandma's and young children can use them and "they just work" whatever that means. With Apple's dominating success in the electronics world it seems this is the first step in making a PC an appliance for the masses.

Regardless on if we as enthusiasts like it, it’s difficult to argue against Apple’s success so far and I understand MS making the change.

Sorry to say it but Microsoft's customers are the people who don't know how to use a computer. Metro is perfect for them because it's just like their smartphone which they probably pay way too much for.

There's going to be a divide in the future. People who use Windows 8 and beyond, and people who don't. The people that do will essentially not give a shit. You'll deal with whatever you don't understand, and work around it. Most people will probably be glad to see the Metro UI, cause they can now see all their apps.

The other have will be the power users. The people who care about their interface, and want productivity over simplicity. These people will stick with Windows 7 for probably 10 years, or until forced to otherwise leave it for newer tech. Most likely someone will find a way to remove Metro from Windows 8 and bring back the old UI. I've seen people do some crazy things.

Though I hope this is a great opportunity for people to take a better look at Linux. That depends entirely on Linux's ability to become user friendly and problem free.

It depends on linux gaming somehow becoming as stable and problem free as gaming on windows. Not that there aren't other barriers keeping alternative OS's from gaining consumer marketshare, but it's certainly the only thing keeping me from one of the many otherwise completely usable linux installs out there right now.

As I said and you can look this up, Windows 8 is the Windows Me of this century.

If you truly hate it, vote with your wallet, thats the only leverage we as consumers have, and we rarely if ever exercise it like we should.

Actually we always do, it's just the votes of the teeming masses often don't agree with the vote of the few enthusiasts who are irked enough to not buy it.

Well, if MS doesn't sell an OS that I want, then I wont buy an OS from them. It's not complicated. I don't like what I've seen of Win 8. It isn't something I want or need, so I'm not going to buy it.

And, for those who keep repeating the "you hate change" mantra, I've bought every new version of Windows shortly after it came out (within the first month) since Win 98, and have used MS operating systems since the days of MS DOS. If Microsoft wants to desert the desktop as a platform, then I feel no compunction to reward that behavior by buying their product. And if they're implying that it doesn't matter how many people follow the same logic I'm applying: that they won't return to creating a desktop OS, then that'll be that for me buying any future OS they make.

So, no, this is NOT like XP or Vista: those were *desktop* OSes. Win 8 is a handheld OS which just happens to also run on a desktop. And as I said, I'm not interested in that sort of thing. Not one bit.

So, no, this is NOT like XP or Vista: those were *desktop* OSes. Win 8 is a handheld OS which just happens to also run on a desktop. And as I said, I'm not interested in that sort of thing. Not one bit.

Wrong. Windows 8 is a desktop OS that also happens to run on Tablets. In fact it runs better on the desktop than pretty much any previous version of Windows.

Veilrap,

I'm not wrong. It's very clear based on the UI what Win 8's intended use is, and it's not the desktop. It's too bad, but it appears that MS has decided to "move in a new direction" in regards to Win 8 and future OSes, and that direction is *away* from the desktop. This is start of that process.

That's my opinion, anyway, and I'll back it up by not buying Win 8, despite the under-the-hood improvements it has.

If I didn't have a mouse and my screen was a touch screen windows 8 might be great.

BUT

I use a PC with a mouse, keyboard, and a normal monitor. I want my work machine to act/work/look exactly the same every single day I come into work. So that you know, I can work!

I do not want to have to re-learn how to use my computer with every single software version update/upgrade, whatever. Changing menus, moving options, renaming menu items, does nothing but infuriate every single worker in the world.

I fully expect OEM vendors to continue to offer Win 7 as an option, just like they did XP vs Vista for a very long time.

Nope not Microsoft. ;) But if you dig deeper in the HardOCP search feature you could figure who I work for easily.

I think the answer to your question is, don't use the Metro interface to start the app. If you use Metro, it puts it in the left blade Metro swap (whatever its called) thingy. However if you start the app from an icon on the desktop then I have been able to do all the same multi-monitor stuff I have always been able to do in Win7.

And I think this is one of the several reasons people hate the OS so much. Having "almost" the same abilities is not as good as having "the same" or "more". People who adopt Windows 8 will be handicapped in some ways.

That's not to say some things aren't better. I've used W8 and it's faster in some respects, file explorer is better, but none of these features are enough to offset Metro. The only way I was able to use W8 for more than a day was installing classic shell. =/

I think Win 8 is more targeted at the consumer market ... considering I barely got my work laptop upgraded to Win 7 2 weeks ago (prior to that I was still in XP, Office 2003, Visio 2000, and Project 2000) :eek: ... finally I have Win 7, Office 2010, Visio 2010, and Project 2010 ... since my upgrade was from a 5 year old computer I figure my work system will be eligible for an upgrade midway through the Win 9 timeframe :D ... for my home system I usually wait until the first service pack anyway ... right now until they release something required for effective gaming I can hold off on upgrading my home system until Win 7 doesn't let me do what I need to do ;)

Why can't they just give people a damn option? I've never owned a tablet or a smart phone, and most certainly don't want my entire desktop limited to acting like one.

I mean the whole goddamned reason smart phones have the interface they do is because they have small screens and limited CPU power, WHY DOWNGRADE DESKTOPS?!?!

And like I said in the other threads, locking certain applications to Full Screen, it's NO LONGER WINDOWS... It should be called Buttons 1.0! Big ass, nasty buttons!

I'm not a big hater of new things, but I can't call this new. They're emulating weaker platforms. That's not new, that's just dumb.
Yes, downgrade is bad. oh wai- what/where did they downgrade again?

There's going to be a divide in the future. People who use Windows 8 and beyond, and people who don't. The people that do will essentially not give a shit. You'll deal with whatever you don't understand, and work around it. Most people will probably be glad to see the Metro UI, cause they can now see all their apps.

The other have will be the power users. The people who care about their interface, and want productivity over simplicity. These people will stick with Windows 7 for probably 10 years, or until forced to otherwise leave it for newer tech. Most likely someone will find a way to remove Metro from Windows 8 and bring back the old UI. I've seen people do some crazy things.

Though I hope this is a great opportunity for people to take a better look at Linux. That depends entirely on Linux's ability to become user friendly and problem free.

I see the same thing pretty much. I'm just wondering if Microsoft will stop making a version of windows for PCs that aren't locked down like a cell phone. Will unlocked Windows end up costing as much as a development license for Xbox which is already locked down. I worry because I see the Windows desktop being monetized to the point of being impossible to afford to anyone other than a business.

Regardless of whether Windows 8 is a success or failure the world, even professionals and productive folks are going to use tablets more and more. Tablets are a disruptive force, mostly in the consumer world but across all spectrums of computer use. We're simply moving away from desktops, they aren't going away but they are going to become an increasingly smaller piece of the pie, dramatically so probably over the next decade. Microsoft would not be going do this road if it had expected the traditional PC market to grow significantly. This isn't just about Windows 8, it's about how we use computers at a fundamental level.

I'm afraid. :eek: I lay awake at night with my glow-in-the-dark star and unicorn blankets pulled over my head because I worry that Windows 8 is out to get me.

We'll see what's "here to stay" when Windows 8 sales aren't even close to what 7 and Vista were.

You can't force us to buy Windows 8 MS.

Windows 7 is DEFINITELY going to last longer than XP. While amusing it is an outright shame. Is this the result of Apple's influence on the market?

I'm sure it is. Apple is currently sitting on over $650+ Billion dollars in cash from its profit margins. MS would sacrifice Steve Ballmer at the stake if they could even come close to that in the next few years.

If you aren't at least learning or directly following Apple's business model in the corporate world than you are getting left behind.

heatlesssun is right: mobility is the future. I don't get why Windows should just hand out the leverage it has to Apple/Google, keeping itself tied to things most people just don't like anymore. Desktops are for productivity, and while this is a market that isn't going away, Windows is strong on that one and I'm sure it will not get weaker in the near future, if only because of legacy software. They have to seize what's booming, and that's mobile tech gear.

In fact, if I were RIM's CEO, I would go straight to Microsoft and work on a kick ass enterprise solution. That would be sweet for both parties.

Also, it's not that I agree or disagree with the whole thing, it just makes business sense. We, the so called "elite" of computing, have a lot of options. It's no big deal to us. Bitching all day is not going to change it. We're just not the big money anymore, but we're not hopeless.

Regardless of whether Windows 8 is a success or failure the world, even professionals and productive folks are going to use tablets more and more. Tablets are a disruptive force, mostly in the consumer world but across all spectrums of computer use. We're simply moving away from desktops, they aren't going away but they are going to become an increasingly smaller piece of the pie, dramatically so probably over the next decade. Microsoft would not be going do this road if it had expected the traditional PC market to grow significantly. This isn't just about Windows 8, it's about how we use computers at a fundamental level.
What are tablets disrupting? Do IT Departments need to put measures in place to keep tablets from disrupting their infrastructure? Do we need to download programs to protect our desktops from tablet disruptions over then internet? Does the FTC, SEC, or others need to set into effect measures to prevent market disruption due to tablets?

Or is this just hyperbole and marketing speak?

And aren't you the self-admitted tablet user since at least Windows XP Tablet Edition (if not Windows for Pen Computing)?

I'm sure it is. Apple is currently sitting on over $650+ Billion dollars in cash from its profit margins. MS would sacrifice Steve Ballmer at the stake if they could even come close to that in the next few years.

If you aren't at least learning or directly following Apple's business model in the corporate world than you are getting left behind.

Its not the business model per se.

Its the fact people pay stupid amounts of money for mobile devices and phone/data service which far outstrips the true cost of combined price. And although Apple doesn't sell phone service, they get a cut. Either directly or through the price of the phones.

MS can bluster all they want about it being here to stay, but if/when Windows 8 dies in a flaming shitpile on the PC they will rethink their strategy.

Windows 7 is DEFINITELY going to last longer than XP. While amusing it is an outright shame. Is this the result of Apple's influence on the market?

I've just switched over every computer in my company from Windows XP to Windows 7. I'm not planning on an another OS upgrade for another 8 years. :D

What are tablets disrupting? Do IT Departments need to put measures in place to keep tablets from disrupting their infrastructure? Do we need to download programs to protect our desktops from tablet disruptions over then internet? Does the FTC, SEC, or others need to set into effect measures to prevent market disruption due to tablets?

Or is this just hyperbole and marketing speak?

And aren't you the self-admitted tablet user since at least Windows XP Tablet Edition (if not Windows for Pen Computing)?

By disruptive I mean that they are entering the market at a rapid growth and are in some cases being used to replace traditional sales PC especially in the consumer market. That's not market speak, that's seems to be what the sales and market analysts and saying.

How can Windows grow if it remains a keyboard and mouse driven only OS? There's no more market share for Windows to grab. And while the volume of PC sales is still high will probably be for years to come I don't know anyone at this time that says their growth is ever going to be robust again. So Microsoft can let perhaps it most valuable asset languish as PC sales remain flat to negative while more consumers, businesses and developers go more mobile.

Yes, I'm a long time fan of tablets and sooner or later I felt this day would come because tablets are simply mobile and versatile in ways that traditional PCs aren't.

And as much as some do not like Windows 8 if you adapt to it it's every bit as productive as Windows 7 on the desktop using desktop apps and can do virtually (with the apps of course) an iPad or Android tablet can do and do it with one device. That is a powerful proposition, one that's always driven technology. Convergence and device reduction is at the heart of technological change.

MS can bluster all they want about it being here to stay, but if/when Windows 8 dies in a flaming shitpile on the PC they will rethink their strategy.

And even if it did, a keyboard and mouse only OS would still be in relative decline.

Its not the business model per se.

Its the fact people pay stupid amounts of money for mobile devices and phone/data service which far outstrips the true cost of combined price. And although Apple doesn't sell phone service, they get a cut. Either directly or through the price of the phones.

It is the business model of exploiting the lazy general public. People want simplified everything if they can get it.

Apple is combining very compact and designer "friendly" items that are incredibly simple to use. They are also overpriced crap that nets Apple hundreds of billions because of where they manufacture and because of how they market.

I personally hated Steve Jobs , I've always felt he was the biggest most egotistical asshole in the business and that he truly had no clue on how to build an OS but he understood marketing better than most people do. He was able to maximize that knowledge in the last 5 years to his advantage... and greatly so.

Apple has made some pretty good decisions in the last 5 years or so after decades of failures and its going to keep its current business model going as long as it can.

It is the business model of exploiting the lazy general public. People want simplified everything if they can get it.

Apple is combining very compact and designer "friendly" items that are incredibly simple to use. They are also overpriced crap that nets Apple hundreds of billions because of where they manufacture and because of how they market.

I personally hated Steve Jobs , I've always felt he was the biggest most egotistical asshole in the business and that he truly had no clue on how to build an OS but he understood marketing better than most people do. He was able to maximize that knowledge in the last 5 years to his advantage... and greatly so.

Apple has made some pretty good decisions in the last 5 years or so after decades of failures and its going to keep its current business model going as long as it can.

Unfortunately for them and probably worse form MS if they go this route, there's a significant fad-factor to having he latest phone etc. Fads die. Smartphones won't go away, but pretty soon people aren't going to feel like their about to die if they don't have the latest one.

If thats the way MS is going to play this, ill just stick to 7, and just hope that Google comes out with an OS that we can game on in the future.

Long Live 7!

Linux is finally poised to take over the desktop space! Really guys... it will this time... :p

The PC isn't going anywhere. Handhelds do many things very very poorly.

By disruptive I mean that they are entering the market at a rapid growth and are in some cases being used to replace traditional sales PC especially in the consumer market. That's not market speak, that's seems to be what the sales and market analysts and saying.

How can Windows grow if it remains a keyboard and mouse driven only OS? There's no more market share for Windows to grab. And while the volume of PC sales is still high will probably be for years to come I don't know anyone at this time that says their growth is ever going to be robust again. So Microsoft can let perhaps it most valuable asset languish as PC sales remain flat to negative while more consumers, businesses and developers go more mobile.

Yes, I'm a long time fan of tablets and sooner or later I felt this day would come because tablets are simply mobile and versatile in ways that traditional PCs aren't.

And as much as some do not like Windows 8 if you adapt to it it's every bit as productive as Windows 7 on the desktop using desktop apps and can do virtually (with the apps of course) an iPad or Android tablet can do and do it with one device. That is a powerful proposition, one that's always driven technology. Convergence and device reduction is at the heart of technological change.
I'm suggesting I don't see tablets as disruptive. I pointed out that you've been using tablets "longer than most" and the fact that tablets have been around (Windows for Pen Computing since 1995?) for a while to illustrate my opinion that tablets are not a disruption of the normal course of computing or the computing industry but the continuing of a course. It's not a new or revolutionary form factor but an evolution of an existing form factor.

And how long has Microsoft been talking about their idea of convergence? Is Microsoft talking about "device reduction"? If so, that would be new, and I have not heard it. I thought their idea of convergence was the coming together of your devices to share data, not the elimination of devices. If device elimination is at the heart of technology, then why do we have so many more devices around us these days?

Just like one might suggest it is a little too soon and presumptuous to declare Windows 8 a success or failure, I would suggest the same about tablets.

I'm upgrading to 8 for the under the hood improvements :)

The problem with tweaking the new Windows OS's is that you could end up invalidating your copy of Windows. So to make changes to the UI would be very difficult. I know people will find a way, but what hurdles do you have to jump over and avoid in order to use it? :confused:

This is why I like Linux, cause there's no real restrictions on what you can do. It's not as stable, user friendly, or has as many applications as Windows, but it's your OS. Android does this with launchers, and nobody can tell you what your UI should look like.

Does anyone else find this funny? You buy Windows, and you can't do jack to it. Linux is free and you can do whatever you want with it, except sell it. This just doesn't seem right.

I really wanted to try Android on the desktop... just for kicks. I don't see why I couldn't use something like Android with KB+M. That's the same reason that makes me think all the rage about Win8 is excessive.

IME, a touch interface will go with KB+M just fine. A KB+M interface wouldn't usually go well with touch.

Yay for desktop Android!

Back