Windows 8 Messaging vs. Live Messenger

E^vol

Limp Gawd
How can I get Windows Live Messenger to work in Metro? Messaging is not the same thing. I cannot connect to my LM account, because Messaging won't let me log out of the Windows Account (not the same). Is it possible to install LM in Metro? I have it installed in desktop, but I can't seem to get it to work in Metro.

Yes, it switches to the desktop automatically, but I'm trying to give Metro a chance, and so far it's losing to the desktop....

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by getting LM working in Metro, it's a desktop app. There's going to be a lot of messaging apps coming without so for now if you want to use a Windows messaging you have to logged into the machine as that Microsoft account, not sure how it work under a local account.

Yes....I get it. And I hope Microsoft will release a metro-live-messenger-app before the SurfaceRT is released. I use Live Messenger a lot and I need it if I am to use Metro.

P.S. Thanks...

If not Microsoft you can bet a third parties will, we're really not seeing the apps right now, that's really not going to happen until Oct. 26.

I am currently running Live Messenger from Windows Essentials 2011. I know that Windows Essentials 2012 is "out", but the D/L links at Microsoft's site don't seem to be working, hopefully the new version addresses this issue.

I have 2012 installed on my Win 8 desktop and 2012 is still a desktop suite with some minor tweaks.

If you link your Hotmail/Outlook in Win8 the Messages app will already be connected to your MSN...and whatever else you linked with Live/Hotmail such as Facebook.

If you link your Hotmail/Outlook in Win8 the Messages app will already be connected to your MSN...and whatever else you linked with Live/Hotmail such as Facebook.

True, but I don' think that you can sign into a different Microsoft account than you logged into Windows with. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Back