Windows 8 on the business network?

Hey everyone,
Looking for feedback on windows 8, but more focused on the business network side of things. Thats why I posted this here to get the network admin view rather than the everyday enthusiast.

So what does everyone think? I think for some things could be good for most business users its going to cause a dramatic decrease in performance. whats everyones view?

It'll basically be bypassed for a while...much like Vista was. (although Vista was basically bypassed entirely...lol)

Also, the vast majority of business/enterprise will not even think about a new OS until service pack 1 has been released for it. Giving all the peripheral people time to get support for it (printers, scanners, MFPs, management tools, line of business app support, etc etc)

I'm actually looking forward to windows 8...for tablets. I have a few applications where a tablet would be ideal, but I need it to run windows applications. Hopefully windows 8 tablets hit the market soon after release.

For the desktop? Hell. No. I have enough daily headaches supporting my end users without having to introduce a significant UI change, thank you very much.

See thats my thoughts (ignoring the SP1 requirement) for light users with a touchscreen I could see it being great. but for a company who goes between multiple documents, spreadsheets. and other apps.
I'm convinced its going be a huge fail.

In many ways the SP1 thing is no longer true. In the Windows NT days, it certainly was. Service packs had a decent chance of breaking things, a lot.

But with the huge amount of automated testing I'm not sure that just making a blanket "wait for SP1" statement is any longer valid.

Rather, you have to do testing. You have to understand what apps your business owns, including the ones not sanctioned by IT, and test them with the new OS.

Then do a pilot to iron out the kinks, and a final deployment.

One of my customers plans on rolling out Windows 7 during next summer, they have thousands of machines. We'll be at least looking at Windows 8.

All depends on your situation.. most of the time upgrades will come around with hardware refreshes. The one thought I have is if Windows 8 is nice to use as a tablet, then it will be easier to integrate with our systems. (If it's not a good tablet then who cares who's going to want it..) No one rushes into upgrading so it's a bit unrealistic that everyone is asking who will buy/who won't.

In many ways the SP1 thing is no longer true. In the Windows NT days, it certainly was. Service packs had a decent chance of breaking things, a lot.

It was still valid in the SMB/Enterprise area with Windows 7. I'm not talking about worrying about a SP break something...I'm talking about hardware/software compatibility and little bugs/glitches being ironed out when the first SP came out.

The only NT 4 service pack I remember being bad (or any NT service pack) was SP6.0.....which Microsoft quickly fixed with SP 6.0a for NT 4.

Back