Windows Backup to External Drive... Failed?

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
System:
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
AMD 1090t
8GB DDR3 1333
Win7 Ultimate x64
2x1TB Seagate 7200.12 in RAID 0
2x1TB WD Black in RAID 0
1x2TB WD Green as single

Just bought a brand new 3TB Seagate GoFlex external drive, drive supports USB 3.0 but my board only has 2.0, which I am OK with until I upgrade my motherboard. I want to do a full system image to it, but every time I try Windows gives me error 0x8007045D Device I/O Failure. I can read/write to the external just fine under normal conditions, just cannot backup to it. I can backup to the internal 2TB green just fine, but I want my image on an external drive. Is there a fix? Is there another piece of software I can use for 1:1 disk images that can be restored from using emergency boot CD?

I am doing fine with the Image creation using Win7 using one of the ESATA HD Docks - Backup Storage – Inexpensive, Expandable, Portable, and Flexible!

I am not going to that size however...

The USB drive had GPT set on it, right?

Part of the issue with such huge drives in the Home environment is assuring good backups... and the current technology in storage and storage sizing is right on the 'bleeding edge' if you ask me. Not enough real info on real world storage management...

I wonder if going the ESATA route will ease the pain of the 'large storage' management...

Hope that helps...

I did find this rather recent post (Sept 2010) on another Forum:

I have a new laptop with Windows7. I was using a few WD Passport drives for transferring files back and forth, and they were working fine. I then moved all the files off one of the drives and decided to format it with the Win7 Quick Format in NTFS. THAT is when my trouble with this error began. After reading here, I changed all permissions, and that didn't work. I tried the deleting restore points and resetting, and that didn't work. I finally got a brainwave: my trouble began right after the format. I took the drive to my old XPPro laptop, and did a quick NTFS format there. Then attached the drive to the Win7 laptop and now the files tranfer (albeit a lot slower than before I did the format), with no errors.

There's something in the format program in Vista and 7 which is causing a problem. Nothing like upgrading to new software which is supposed to make life easier, only to have it disable drives!

Like I say, I haven't encountered this issue before myself... and it's on my ToDo list to *TEST* my Image Backup on my Win7 Pro system using RAID 1 with 2ea 1TB drives. Just haven't screwed up the courage to *whack* my 'Money Makin' machine and try it out. I will test on another system first... :cool:

Hope this will fix it for you!

I don't know if going eSATA would help, but I did checked a few places online for the best backup software and download a trial version of Acronis Home 2011. Acronis can backup fine to USB devices and gives the option to make a bootable recovery CD, so I will be using that for right now. I wanted to use Windows to guarantee compatibility (and because it came free with my OS), but if I have to buy Acronis then I will.

Good lead as far as the format goes Pierre, but I did not format the drive, all I did was plug it in and delete the bloat that Seagate put on there.

I also found where a hotfix was released by MS for those with nvidia chipsets, but that doesn't apply to me. :-(

Back