Windows cannot be installed to this disk.

fosselman

Limp Gawd
Just upgraded from a q9450 to a 2500k. After putting the system together and using the same hard drive from my previous build, I decided to do a clean install of windows 7. First problem is it took almost 10 minutes to boot into the windows setup. The second problem is I get the following message when getting to the "Where do you want to install windows?" page:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I have messed around with all the SATA settings and am kind of lost on what to do at this point. Should also mention I have tried 1-4 sticks of ram in at a time, tried installing from DVD drive and USB. Not sure if I got a defective motherboard or what.

Thanks in advance for the help!

It is the only drive I have hooked up and it currently has nothing on it. The "where do you want to install Windows?" and all it says is Disk 0 Unallocated Space.

at the Hard disk screen:
1) press shift + f10
2) cmd prompt will open --> type "diskpart" (or disk part-can't remember off top of my head)
3) type "select disk 0"
4) type "clean"
5) type "exit" once or twice until cmd prompt closes
6) click refresh icon and then try to install

Just a random thing, but on my previous gen i5 rig the 1.5TB Seagate drive I got for it absolutely refuses to play nice with UEFI enabled. I got the same "can't install on this disk" message with UEFI enabled, but disabling it let Win7 install just fine. If I try toggling the setting it won't start.

Back