Windows error. Help please.

rstm88

n00b
Hi guys

I recently built my computer (thanks again for all the help with that btw) and whenever I try to install windows 7 or vista I get this blue screen. I used xp for few days and everything is working fine, tried gaming, videos etc.

specs
phenom x4 955
asus crosshair 3 790fx
650w antec earthwatts
2x2g ddr3 sdram ocz PC8500 CL7.0
ati 3850hd
Noctua Processor Koeler NH-U9
Western Digital 640GB SATA300 32MB, WD6401AALS

so can you please let me know whats wrong and why xp is working fine while vista and 7 get this blue message. thanks in advance.

Now, when you install Windows 7 or Vista, are you deleting the partition then creating a clean partition and installing? You should be doing that. Also try changing your sata to IDE compatibiliy (non ahci) and reinstalling.

NTFS.sys is the filesystem driver. This leads me to believe the fault is in the hard drive, the hard drive controller (i.e. motherboard), or memory (since memory problems can appear as ANYTHING......it's kind of like Lupus in House.

Steps:

Restore any OC to stock (CPU, Memory, GPU, etc.)
See if Problem Goes away
If it doesn't try running a memory diagnostic like memtest86
If it comes up clean after a few hours, try a different hard drive
If the problem still doesn't go away, I don't know, but I'd lean towards motherboard at that point.

Make a brand new partition to put the OS on. But I definately agree with what Arainach is saying. I would start first with the hard drive though.

Back