Windows freezes when i play video?!

sohcugy

Limp Gawd
My comp is a compaq XP3200, gig ram, Windows XP Professional. Everytime I open up a video file or if I happen to go to a website that has a video that starts playing as soon as the page pops, my computer freezes up. It won't play the video and if I let my comp sit for about 1-2minutes sometimes I can cancel the video then the my comp slowly starts working as quickly as before. I have a 6600GT and installed the latest video drivers fromn Nvidia using drivercleaner, but that didn't help. I don't recall an exact instance that made this start occuring. I'm thinking of reinstalling windows if I can find my disk, but I'd rather not do that if it's something minor that needs to be addressed. Also, I use AVG free edition and it's fully updated and I scanned my comp twice and it didn't detect anything. Any suggestions? thanks

Is this on all video types, or any specific video, avi, divx, xvid, wmv, mpeg1,2,4? The only suggestions I can think of is to update to windows media player 10, and/or install the free divx codec.

I thought about upgrading to Media Playet 10, but I forgot to mention that I also have Nero Showtime and I attempted to use that program and got the same result, shoulda mentioned that in my first post, but it slipped my mind. I may go ahead and upgrade anway, couldn't hurt.

Back